The Dundee United Thread 22/23

3 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

How would you rate Mellon's signings so far?

Jack Newman, Ryan Edwards, Florent Hoti, Kieran Freeman, Luke Bolton, Jeando Fuchs & Marc McNulty are all his signings according to Transfermarkt - Granted a few of them are for the youth team but have any set the heather alight? Particularly for the money you're apparently paying the latter 2 (and Edwards).

Micky Mellon didn’t sign Kieran Freeman.

Mellon has had his hands tied this season, mostly due to the Hearts' interference in league status, and also financial constraints which many other clubs have faced.  His remit is to keep United in the league, and so far he's on target, mostly using players who he inherited.

One of them is Nicky Clark, who surprised me with his quality when playing deeper in last season's Championship. But this term, he's not contributed as much in that area in a more competitive Premiership. His best position is as a striker in two, in my opinion, and he's far more effective in the box. With Shankland, McNulty and Appere at the club, he'll not get a lot of opportunities there. In fact, Mickey Mellon hasn't often favoured 2 central strikers this season.

3 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

. His best position is as a striker in two, in my opinion, and he's far more effective in the box. With Shankland, McNulty and Appere at the club, he'll not get a lot of opportunities there. In fact, Mickey Mellon hasn't often favoured 2 central strikers this season.

Excellent.

Welcome to Dens Nicky.

Thank you.

Just now, johnnydun said:

Yet has scored more goals than all 3 combined this season.

It's amazing how shite he has become today.

You're taking this the wrong way: I said that, in my opinion, he's better in a two, which United rarely use. He was also more effective in midfield in the Championship than he's shown this season. Don't think I've said Nicky Clark is shite: I've outlined his qualities. 

I must admit to being surprised at how successful Nicky Clark has been this season - I had him down as a very good Championship player but no more than that. It's a hell of an audacious move from Dundee, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp. If Dundee are offering better terms than us, and given our alleged financial situation that's not impossible, then good luck.  I'd rather we kept him than not, but c'est la vie.

38 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

I'd be very surprised if Clark were willing to go to the likes of Dundee, certainly not when there's still a chance he'll get a new contract at United. Unlike McMullan, Clark's actually getting a game and contributing nicely to the team. 

😂😂👍

1 hour ago, Pull My Strings said:

I'd be very surprised if Clark were willing to go to the likes of Dundee, certainly not when there's still a chance he'll get a new contract at United. Unlike McMullan, Clark's actually getting a game and contributing nicely to the team. 

I think we know it's all about what the teams can afford to offer in the end. It's United's chance to offer him something better now.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

1 hour ago, Pull My Strings said:

This. It'll come down to how long a deal we offer him, I'd doubt Dundee will give him a better financial deal but they may have found some cash under the rug...

As I said before, I think we'll offer him a 1 year deal as we'll be looking for better. If the club decide to give him longer then I won't be too bothered either tbh.

Clark is one of those players who has found his level. I don’t see why he would want to leave or why the club would want rid.

He wouldn’t be in my starting XI if everyone was fit, but he’s that reliable guy that starts most weeks anyway.

I wouldn’t be heartbroken to see him go, but then I see no reason why we wouldn’t want to keep him.

We might be able to sign better (to replace Shankland and McNulty) but having solid players like Clark available is always a good thing.

I have a feeling that Clark has had a purple patch this season and is not good enough for this level long term. If he signs on for another year that's fine but we shouldn't be breaking the bank for him or offering more than a 1 year contract extension.

If he can get a longer term deal or increased wages elsewhere he'd be silly not to take it considering he turns 30 in the summer.

Edited by Szamo's_Ammo