The Dundee United Thread 22/23

10 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:
3 hours ago, Granny Danger said:
And fifteen in the seven games before that.  Picking a random number of games might not be the best approach.

I dunno, I imagine what the defence has done more recently might be the more important factor here. The team doing quite well doesn't fit in with some people's agendas, mind you.

Well let’s look forward rather than looking back.  Let’s see how the next seven games pan out.

FWIW I’m happy with where we are, I just think the football is shit to watch.

10 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Well let’s look forward rather than looking back.  Let’s see how the next seven games pan out.

FWIW I’m happy with where we are, I just think the football is shit to watch.

Some folk don't seem to care if the football is horrendous as long as the results are decent. 

Some folk would like to occasionally enjoy the football they pay to watch too, because its supposed to be entertainment. Not every game. And not Barcelona-esque high brow football art but just some basic stuff like shots on target and maybe several progressive passes strung together on the ground in between the longest white lines.

Maybe they are too fussy though.

1 hour ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Some folk don't seem to care if the football is horrendous as long as the results are decent. 

Some folk would like to occasionally enjoy the football they pay to watch too, because its supposed to be entertainment. Not every game. And not Barcelona-esque high brow football art but just some basic stuff like shots on target and maybe several progressive passes strung together on the ground in between the longest white lines.

Maybe they are too fussy though.

That’s how I feel.  I’d like to think at the end of a game ‘well that was good,  I enjoyed that’.  As you say not necessarily every game but the odd one or two.

I don’t think that’s too much to ask tbh.

My argument was more that people seemed to be saying the team was shit, which I don't think they are. People were slagging defenders who by and large have been pretty good recently.

The style of play is horrid, I'm not trying to suggest otherwise. That's a separate argument.

If we were an established Premiership team; or if we had improved the team from when we were in the Championship; or if Mellon had had multiple transfer windows to build his team; or if COVID wasn't making the potential of relegation from the Premiership even more disastrous than any other season... then I could understand why some Arabs are looking for style as well as substance. 

But not me.  This season is just too important.  It is all about results and, specifically, finishing 10th or above.

If we were an established Premiership team; or if we had improved the team from when we were in the Championship; or if Mellon had had multiple transfer windows to build his team; or if COVID wasn't making the potential of relegation from the Premiership even more disastrous than any other season... then I could understand why some Arabs are looking for style as well as substance. 
But not me.  This season is just too important.  It is all about results and, specifically, finishing 10th or above.
I tend to agree with this. I am willing to accept this style of football if the results are coming, which they broadly are. If other people disagree...that's absolutely fine.

48 minutes ago, arab_joe said:

Yup this entirely. Although I've stated before this style of play has a fine margin which is a risk in itself. 

1 hour ago, ArabianKnight said:

Yup this entirely. Although I've stated before this style of play has a fine margin which is a risk in itself. 

This is the problem with the style. Eventually, fucking shite football gets punished. I think we all, as United fans, should know this after the banter years.

Its not enjoyable and eventually we will be fund oot. 

The defence has been better of late but the fact is its still the same personnel (and Edwards) we had last year that looked pish against part time teams and still struggle to make a 5 yard pass along the ground. A brain fart or complete arse collapse is only a Mark Connolly manoeuvre away.

Maybe I'm being harsh, I probably am, maybe the fitness levels are improving and there's less mistakes being made but the defence still gives me the fear regularly and the shite football won't help the defence out much in the long run.

This is the problem with the style. Eventually, fucking shite football gets punished. I think we all, as United fans, should know this after the banter years.
Its not enjoyable and eventually we will be fund oot.

This is the argument ive been having with fellow Arabs. We cant expect to scrape 0-0s all season. Its all fine well being defensively sound but when asked to attack, we dont look particularly clever

5 hours ago, arab_joe said:

Exactly and for me all Arabs should agree with this.

6 hours ago, Sarto Mutiny said:
6 hours ago, arab_joe said:

I tend to agree with this. I am willing to accept this style of football if the results are coming, which they broadly are. If other people disagree...that's absolutely fine.

Sarto after a United win/draw/narrow defeat under Mellon.

1AF29F0C-60D9-49C2-BF76-35131CC2A8B2.gif.22ef42b68091d30d329ed166bb2aefc6.gif

ETA that was supposed to be a GIF with real running tears.

Edited by Granny Danger

3 hours ago, Twinkle said:

This is the argument ive been having with fellow Arabs. We cant expect to scrape 0-0s all season. Its all fine well being defensively sound but when asked to attack, we dont look particularly clever

Broadly this may be correct, but specifically our attack isn't the issue, as far as we know. They rarely receive the ball, intentionally. 

The problem stems from fielding players who are inept at distributing the ball, in defence and midfield.

22 hours ago, Sarto Mutiny said:
On 29/11/2020 at 16:43, Granny Danger said:
And fifteen in the seven games before that.  Picking a random number of games might not be the best approach.

I dunno, I imagine what the defence has done more recently might be the more important factor here. The team doing quite well doesn't fit in with some people's agendas, mind you.

Our centre-backs are dog shit. There's no agenda in thinking that - just a product of using my eyes!

You can dig out all the lies, damn lies or statistics that you like, but yer only kidding yersel!

5 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

This is the problem with the style. Eventually, fucking shite football gets punished. 

I'm not sure the football's shite so much as incredibly dull and negative and painful to watch. The Johnnies have been getting away with that shit for years.

1 hour ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Broadly this may be correct, but specifically our attack isn't the issue, as far as we know. They rarely receive the ball, intentionally. 

The problem stems from fielding players who are inept at distributing the ball, in defence and midfield.

Tbf, I think the problem (and the solution in terms of our terrific recent defensive record) is that the focus of the entire team is on preventing rather than scoring goals. It's fixed any defensive inadequacies at the expense of any attacking threat we might have had.

34 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Tbf, I think the problem (and the solution in terms of our terrific recent defensive record) is that the focus of the entire team is on preventing rather than scoring goals. It's fixed any defensive inadequacies at the expense of any attacking threat we might have had.

Aye, that's something the same I suppose. The problem is the defenders, whether it be in their ineffectual distribution, or the simple basics of defending.

1 hour ago, Pull My Strings said:

I'm not sure the football's shite so much as incredibly dull and negative and painful to watch. The Johnnies have been getting away with that shit for years.

How can you say that, have you not seen all their various stats that tell you why that shouldn't be the case?

On a more pragmatic level, the sale of Shankland at the end of the season after a decent goal tally must have been seen as a way of mitigating the losses that Ogren has sustained.

This style of play does nothing to allow Shankland to do what he’s capable of doing thereby minimising his saleable value and severely limiting the lad’s future.