The Dundee United Thread 22/23

18 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Glimmer of hope of getting through to the next round of the league cup.

I say this having done next to no research. But there's a half chance of going through I think?

Maybe. If 2 of the following things happen we are out.

Alloa v Stenhousemuir -Alloa win

Arbroath v Elgin - someone wins in 90 (unless Ross County lose in 90 to Stirling)

Raith v Cowdenbeath - Raith win by 6 goals

Queens Park v St Mirren and Morton v Thistle - St Mirren win AND Morton win by 4

I think. Could be all wrong.

If St Johnstone Peterhead draw we are out regardless

Edited by invergowrie arab

Was Siegrist not going down to England to attend a relative's birthday event, and some fans misconstrued the content of a post, which as I recall wasn't verbatim 'happy to leave'. Don't think it was a big deal, but as ever, there was a section of the United support who jumped on the content and used it to complain.

That’s what I thought when he posted it. I assumed he meant he was happy to go and see his family but given the vibe at the club at the time, and the anger amongst our support (which has now of course gone.....) it was something people latched on to.

17 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

9 month out injured after performing a forward roll 

#lad

It was only a forward roll/somersault according to the utter clown shoed buffoons in the radio (Preston).

He merely jumped to celebrate and collapsed on landing. Million to one happening.

15 hours ago, ArabFC said:

Worth highlighting this again...

He may be pish, but maybe some pish is better than no pish. Stats from last season 👇

ad.jpg

12 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I was under the impression that you were like me, older and a bit mature, obviously not. Last night McMullen had loads of the ball. He continually drove forward with it and did absolutely zero constructively. He would either run the ball out of play for a goal kick, drive into the box and pass to a Saints player, or cross to a Saints player. He may get away with that in a lower league, but won’t against most Premiership teams.

The problem I have with McMullan is I kind of agree with both here. Last season he'd did have most assists, but just like this last game, the amount of poor decisions in promising positions, or dribbling into a defender, out of the pitch, wasted crosses is incredible. 

When it goes we'll he's a good player and a positive to the team, when he plays as he did against St Johnstone he is absolutely infuriating. Completely flatters to deceive. "BUT,BUT he had good runs and ran forward" shout fans in his defence, I expect far more than someone running forward giving it away or kicking out of the pitch, yet this is seen as a positive(??).  

I can see where those are coming from that thought he did OK, but for me in this game you can run and drive forward all you like but if nothing is created and you give the ball back to the opposition then not so much. Once or twice, you expect as things won't come.off.everytime, but all the time... So close to being a really good player, but the same argument as previous seasons, needs to improve decision making and final ball, the defenses we are up against have improved since last season.

37 minutes ago, Tannadeechee said:

The problem I have with McMullan is I kind of agree with both here. Last season he'd did have most assists, but just like this last game, the amount of poor decisions in promising positions, or dribbling into a defender, out of the pitch, wasted crosses is incredible. 

When it goes we'll he's a good player and a positive to the team, when he plays as he did against St Johnstone he is absolutely infuriating. Completely flatters to deceive. "BUT,BUT he had good runs and ran forward" shout fans in his defence, I expect far more than someone running forward giving it away or kicking out of the pitch, yet this is seen as a positive(??).  

I can see where those are coming from that thought he did OK, but for me in this game you can run and drive forward all you like but if nothing is created and you give the ball back to the opposition then not so much. Once or twice, you expect as things won't come.off.everytime, but all the time... So close to being a really good player, but the same argument as previous seasons, needs to improve decision making and final ball, the defenses we are up against have improved since last season.

McMullan didn't play well against St Johnstone, I would agree, and yet, we looked like an entirely different team.

It's almost as if having outlets like McMullan (and even Sporle to a lesser extent) can help get you up the field.

Instead of just fcuking launching the ball to nobody!

Even ignoring all that, the player who is essentially keeping McMullan out of the team is Bolton (1 assist & 0 goals in 14 PL games). If you find him less infuriating, well that's lovely.

11 hours ago, Steven W said:

Glimmer of hope of getting through to the next round of the league cup.

I say this having done next to no research. But there's a half chance of going through I think?

Do we want to go through? I honestly couldn't give a crap.

4 hours ago, ArabFC said:

McMullan didn't play well against St Johnstone, I would agree, and yet, we looked like an entirely different team.

It's almost as if having outlets like McMullan (and even Sporle to a lesser extent) can help get you up the field.

Even ignoring all that, the player who is essentially keeping McMullan out of the team is Bolton (1 assist & 0 goals in 14 PL games). If you find him less infuriating, well that's lovely.

Never mentioned any players that I find less infuriating. I only mentioned Mcmullan who over 3 seasons has been a source of major frustration to me. Flatters to deceive.

Bolton has only had a handful of starts as a wide player, spent most of the last wee while playing as a defender almost. Not been here long enough to form a good opinion, although I'm not seeing enough attacking from him full stop. Could be the tactics though. McMullan, though after 115 appearances I think I'm on pretty safe ground with my views. I want him to do well, but if you get into a good area as a winger but can't cross, take too many touches and do the square root of hee-haw again, then there is almost no point to him playing. He is 24, been playing first team football for over 5 and a half years. Questions need to be asked if he is ever going to get to the level and achieve the potential he is hoped to achieve. The Championship is one thing, the Premiership needs, or should I say demands more consistency and better decision making.

Your comment about launching it, quite why you brought that up as I made no comment on our tactics. I do not agree with launching it, never have, I do not agree with defending without attempting to keep possession and I agree we looked better in that game. It wasn't McMullan but the whole team was playing to different tactics. It was good to see Sporle back too and agree with you that their attacking play was part of that improvement in play. HOWEVER running into dead ends and, letting it run out etc gifting it back to the opposition looks better is more exciting, but the end result is exactly the same as punting it aimlessly.

A discussion on the merits or otherwise is good and encouraged, playing the man (or poster) isn't.

Edited by Tannadeechee

On 12/11/2020 at 09:46, ArabFC said:

McMullan has 1 assist and 1 goal in his last 19 league games, 16 of which were in the Championship. So not really sure why McMullan should be rushed back into the team.

Edited by tangerine_eminem

The Mcmullan debate will always rage on. There's two major opinions. Some folk like him because he's fast and looks busy, his pace will sometimes cause problems for defenders and he's usually a hard working player.

Others think he's poor because there's almost never an end product, he can't shoot, hes a bit of the headless chicken and he's utterly infuriating when he gets into a good position and can't find a man or beat the first man with a cross.

It always reminds me of Derek Lilley. Folk used to clap him for getting tackles and blocks in on defenders which in principle is fine. For some reason they didn't see the part where he gave the ball away by contolling it with his knee then his shin and had to charge 10 yards at the defender to block the ball and give them a throw in. 

If my maths is right (probably not), at present, I think we're going to qualify for the next round of the league cup. What a week it's been.

#scenes

Edit - hadn't realised Alloa had came back from two goals down to now lead 3-2 v Stenhousemuir, to f**k it up

Edited by Steven W

9 minutes ago, Steven W said:

If my maths is right (probably not), at present, I think we're going to qualify for the next round of the league cup. What a week it's been.

#scenes

Nope (unless Elgin come from 2 goals down against Arbroath of course).

Edited by RossBFaeDundee