The Dundee United Thread 22/23

Being reported that McMullan has turned down a move to Ross County.

Edit - On McMullan, I don’t think he is really good enough for a Premiership side but every team needs one or two players like him, even just as squad players.

Despite his end product being generally quite horrific, he is unpredictable and can turn games even just by his energy and willingness to run at players. His acceleration and ability to carry the ball offers something a team can need in certain scenarios. If he was to leave then I would hope we have a similar type of player lined up to replace him.

4 hours ago, ATLIS said:

Apparently Livi tried to sign him a few years ago, wonder if we'd be back in for him given we're after a winger apparently

Do you like wingers that can regularly beat a full back and / or cross into the box? Or even cross the ball from deep into the box? 

If so you should take your search elsewhere. The guys just about bang average in the second tier. There's reason he's been a big part of our worst few squads.

3 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Counterpoint; no he didn't.

We would go on a run of two or three games and would then disappear against teams like Alloa.

Anyway, whatever, we can all agree he has no place in  premier league team.  I'm now more concerned with the ones that get a game who have no place in a Premier League team.

This.

35 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

Being reported that McMullan has turned down a move to Ross County.

Edit - On McMullan, I don’t think he is really good enough for a Premiership side but every team needs one or two players like him, even just as squad players.

Despite his end product being generally quite horrific, he is unpredictable and can turn games even just by his energy and willingness to run at players. His acceleration and ability to carry the ball offers something a team can need in certain scenarios. If he was to leave then I would hope we have a similar type of player lined up to replace him.

I agree. He should have came on on Friday night. His final ball would have been shite, but he'd have at least got the ball and ran at defenders (possibly geeing the other players up in doing so), which would have been a whole lot more than was happening on the park

36 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

On McMullan, I don’t think he is really good enough for a Premiership side but every team needs one or two players like him, even just as squad players.

5 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

The criticism of McMullan is way over the top. I'm sure there were always reservations about his ability to cut it in the top flight (and those reservations will no doubt remain given that he's had about 15 minutes this season) but he did a good job in the Championship.

If a manager gave him a run of games in his correct position, central striker, he may yet prove useful to some club in the Scottish Premiership.

52 minutes ago, Steven W said:

I agree. He should have came on on Friday night. His final ball would have been shite, but he'd have at least got the ball and ran at defenders (possibly geeing the other players up in doing so), which would have been a whole lot more than was happening on the park

Yeah - if we’re 1 down with 15 to go he’d be well worth a try. He may well give you f**k all in that time, but he may just get you something from the game.