The Dundee United Thread 22/23

1 minute ago, Aladdin said:

Now that Shanklands back Appere must be given a shot given how well the two of them linked up last year.

Yes.

If Livingston are still as physical as they were when we last played them, Appéré needs to come in for Clark.

We’re probably not as desperate for a winger now with the emergence of Chalmers, Sporle also playing well, plus Bolton and McMullan.  We do though need another decent striker and probably a playmaker in midfield.  Whether we have the finances for 2 signings remains to be seen.

Be interesting to see if any bids come in for Shankland or Chalmers.

5 minutes ago, Loemba90 said:

We’re probably not as desperate for a winger now with the emergence of Chalmers, Sporle also playing well, plus Bolton and McMullan.  We do though need another decent striker and probably a playmaker in midfield.  Whether we have the finances for 2 signings remains to be seen.

What are folk actually talking about here? A Charlie Miller type? Well good luck finding that.

How about we settle for just a half-decent midfielder who is dynamic and comfortable on the ball?

Someone who the defenders (who need replaced more than anyone) could give the ball to rather than constantly hoofing it up the park.

Currently we have...

Butcher - actually seems scared of receiving the ball

Powers - slower than a carthorse

Harkes - the player who would presumably be dropped by everyone shouting for a playmaker

Pawlett - see above but even lower down the pecking order

King - lol

58 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

What are folk actually talking about here? A Charlie Miller type? Well good luck finding that.

How about we settle for just a half-decent midfielder who is dynamic and comfortable on the ball?

Someone who the defenders (who need replaced more than anyone) could give the ball to rather than constantly hoofing it up the park.

Currently we have...

Butcher - actually seems scared of receiving the ball

Powers - slower than a carthorse

Harkes - the player who would presumably be dropped by everyone shouting for a playmaker

Pawlett - see above but even lower down the pecking order

King - lol

I’d settle for a Fraser Fyvie type player.

4 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Oh, and Lee Wilkie > Garry Kenneth but id gladly have either of them playing!

Undoubtedly.  But the partnership of Webster/Kenneth was brilliant; a proper brains and brawn combination.

4 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Butcher’s antics will cost us dear soon.

At least when he does get sent off, which is coming, we are going to be forced to try someone else for 3 games...

1 hour ago, ArabFC said:

Perhaps an unpopular view, but I think Ian Harkes is a really good SPFL player.  His touch is excellent and he has the pace to go box-to-box; the only real weakness is his shooting, which needs a lot of work.  If he had a really solid defensive centre-mid next to him, a la Butcher last term, I think he could be the creative midfileder that a lot of Arabs are seeking. 

47 minutes ago, arab_joe said:

Perhaps an unpopular view, but I think Ian Harkes is a really good SPFL player.  His touch is excellent and he has the pace to go box-to-box; the only real weakness is his shooting, which needs a lot of work.  If he had a really solid defensive centre-mid next to him, a la Butcher last term, I think he could be the creative midfileder that a lot of Arabs are seeking. 

Not so much unpopular, as just plain daft imho. At his very very best for us, he's been nothing more than decent. And his touch? We'll just disagree on that one!

Again, that said, a replacement for Harkes is low down my priority list.

18 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Not so much unpopular, as just plain daft imho. At his very very best for us, he's been nothing more than decent. And his touch? We'll just disagree on that one!

Again, that said, a replacement for Harkes is low down my priority list.

I’m not a huge fan of Harkes but he works hard without doing stupid things like Butcher.  I always find it difficult to be too critical of a hard working player.

49 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I’m not a huge fan of Harkes but he works hard without doing stupid things like Butcher.  I always find it difficult to be too critical of a hard working player.

You seem to be critical of the hard-working Butcher for being aggressive, while giving a pass to Harkes who stays clear of all that tackling malarkey.

I'm not saying I particularly rate Butcher, but every team needs someone to put in the dirty work.

Harkes just isnt very good. To me he's a player that does lots of running, looks technically competent, gets into decent areas but never really does any damage to other teams. Busywork basically with very little end product.

What sort of player is he meant to be? 

Like Armstrong? Driving off the ball runs, flicks and linkup play and a goal scorer?

Barry Robson? Midfield playmaker, pulling the strings, making forward passes and taking games by the scruff of the neck?

Scott Robertson (pre injury)? Box to box picking the ball up deep and building moves then getting into the box to get on the end of things?

Or a Gomis type breaking up moves, closing down space and getting into tackles then giving the ball to more creative players?

I cant see him in any of these roles.

Im also struggling to think of a single game hes dominated and controlled. 

Id really would love for him to make it and turn into a great player for us but I really doubt it.

I think that Harkes would be a very good player to work with for a manager. He seems like a very professional player in terms of his physical conditioning and his fitness level. I think the College system will have moulded him into that kind of all rounder and someone who is probably always keen to learn and causes absolutely no bother in the squad/dressing room. My fear is that he will not develop beyond his current ability levels and the truth, sadly, is that he isn’t someone we can rely on in the top-flight over the long term. A squad player in a strong team? I wouldn’t have an issue with that, but he isn’t the quality we need as a regular starter if we are to push into the top six and want to challenge.

We absolutely need a ball carrier/possession retainer in the middle of the park (Fyvie-esque as has been mentioned). After that my priority would be a forward who can genuinely hold the ball up and do a lot of the physical work off the ball to allow Shankland a bit of freedom (a Safranko type player, although not necessarily him).

We probably have enough to be in and around 8th or 9th, which given the current uncertainty isn’t a disaster. My wish is that by next August I can be sitting in my seat, watching Premiership football and for us to have a club that has been able to navigate through this crisis without too much damage. Beyond that I don’t really care where we finish or how we do it, as long as it is above 11th.

3 hours ago, ArabFC said:

You seem to be critical of the hard-working Butcher for being aggressive, while giving a pass to Harkes who stays clear of all that tackling malarkey.

I'm not saying I particularly rate Butcher, but every team needs someone to put in the dirty work.

I don’t mind Butcher doing the dirty work, he just needs to be more clever about it.

I get that Butcher is there to do a job but I think the reason he commits so many fouls is because he is often out of position when he should be closely marking someone, meaning he has to dive in to make amends.

That goal we conceded against St Johnstone when he was standing on the edge of the box whilst Liam Craig just sauntered in to score was criminal. He should be anticipating Connolly's dreadful mistakes by now.

We need better.

11 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

I get that Butcher is there to do a job but I think the reason he commits so many fouls is because he is often out of position when he should be closely marking someone, meaning he has to dive in to make amends.

That goal we conceded against St Johnstone when he was standing on the edge of the box whilst Liam Craig just sauntered in to score was criminal. He should be anticipating Connolly's dreadful mistakes by now.

We need better.

I blame Connolly for Butcher not being able to anticipate Connollys mistakes.

And thats all Harkes fault. 

1 minute ago, mishtergrolsch said:

I blame Connolly for Butcher not being able to anticipate Connollys mistakes.

And thats all Harkes fault. 

If you trace it all of the way back, everything is the Baldy Snake's fault.

United's failings, Brexit and Covid-19.