The Dundee United Thread 22/23

Next season...

Defence is sound. Mulgrew, Edwards, Graham, Sheep, Smith, McMann and probably Neilson.

Midfield.... losing Levitt and Butcher, but still plenty of options.

Harkes, Pawlett, Cudjoe, Niskanen, Meekison, Mochrie, Chalmers.

Up top...

Clark, Watt, MacLeod

United must surely be looking at bringing in Zander Clark, Forrest and Levitt, plus one or two up top.

Tam recently said upto 6 players coming in this summer, meaning something has to give. I fancy Logan may be on the move and based on who is available, United must be making moves for Charles-Cook, Hungbo, Forrest, Shanks, Mullen and Mikey Johnston amongst others.

Would like to see us try for Glenn Middleton. 

2 hours ago, Zoomer Brown said:

That's Carson away to the maureens

That's a great bit of business by United. Sign him for hee haw, howk him out for money. 

Not many 40ish year old you can do that with in football. 

10 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Can we get the too long cba watching please. 

Realised that it was a difficult watch at times last season, but sacrificed that for results.

Explained a bit about the Fulham link. Ideas, coaches and potentially loans of players.

Has stopped looking at social media, previously thought it was a helpful way of communicating with fans, but has decided to ignore that avenue. 

Trying to improve season by season, thinks that has happened so far. 

I thought the interviewer did a good job, and TA came over well.

9 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Has stopped looking at social media, previously thought it was a helpful way of communicating with fans, but has decided to ignore that avenue. 

Still managed a wee GIRUY to the fans, on Instagram, the day after the County game. 

14 minutes ago, PartyFears2 said:

Still managed a wee GIRUY to the fans, on Instagram, the day after the County game. 

Never saw it, but if so he was maybe entitled to do this considering the abuse he has suffered from some supporters.

Perhaps they were the target, not 'the fans' in general?

The interview was recorded three games before the end of the season.

1 hour ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Realised that it was a difficult watch at times last season, but sacrificed that for results.

That’s the nub isn’t it.  If we had achieved fourth place and a Euro spot and the football was half way watchable then Courts, Ogren and Ashgar would getting a ticker tape parade.

49 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

That’s the nub isn’t it.  If we had achieved fourth place and a Euro spot and the football was half way watchable then Courts, Ogren and Ashgar would getting a ticker tape parade.

I doubt it: there's a section of our support, and every club has this, which complains for the sake of it. It's always been this, even in good times some fans would find fault with McLean for switching full backs, or more recently players like Craig Conway and Stuart Armstrong were targeted even after good performances.

Asghar is no saint, but he's done a decent job, Courts seems to have the players on his side, and without Ogren's financial input, the club would be in the grubber. 

7 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

I doubt it: there's a section of our support, and every club has this, which complains for the sake of it. It's always been this, even in good times some fans would find fault with McLean for switching full backs, or more recently players like Craig Conway and Stuart Armstrong were targeted even after good performances.

Asghar is no saint, but he's done a decent job, Courts seems to have the players on his side, and without Ogren's financial input, the club would be in the grubber. 

That might be true, but I’m not talking about a small minority.  I doubt if there are many Arabs on P&B who have been enthralled by the football we have played last season but I think all of us recognise the achievements, even if they are in part due to the failings of teams like Hibs and Aberdeen.

I suppose different supporters want different things from football.  Having suffered through a season of turgid Mellonball that achieved promotion I had hoped for something more entertaining under Courts.  Apart from a couple of games earlier in the season and the odd brilliant spark like the late winners against County and the Maureens it has not been enjoyable.

Anyway, I’m looking forward with great optimism and enthusiasm to next season.  I hope that lasts past the first game!

16 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I suppose different supporters want different things from football.  Having suffered through a season of turgid Mellonball that achieved promotion 

I suppose everyone would like to keep their memories though. Yours are clearly disappearing. Mellon was appointed post promotion. 

19 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

That might be true, but I’m not talking about a small minority.  I doubt if there are many Arabs on P&B who have been enthralled by the football we have played last season but I think all of us recognise the achievements, even if they are in part due to the failings of teams like Hibs and Aberdeen.

I suppose different supporters want different things from football.  Having suffered through a season of turgid Mellonball that achieved promotion I had hoped for something more entertaining under Courts.  Apart from a couple of games earlier in the season and the odd brilliant spark like the late winners against County and the Maureens it has not been enjoyable.

Anyway, I’m looking forward with great optimism and enthusiasm to next season.  I hope that lasts past the first game!

While I agree with your general point, I actually think the good stuff under Courts has been better than the good stuff under Mellon, and it has happened slightly more often, though perhaps at the wrong times during games.

The bad stuff has been equally eye bleeding as it was in the past though. I don't actually think we are that far away from having a decent solid side capable of playing some reasonable football, and I think Courts would want that too. It's important that we pick up the right guys in the summer window, ideally a proper hard working centre midfielder and a proper centre forward.

Fail to do that, and we'll be right back down in the Dundee/St Johnstone zone of the league