The Dundee United Thread 22/23

4 hours ago, ArabFC said:

Given Shankland has been playing every game, if they're willing to let him go they'd prob want to at least recoup what they paid for him too.

There are plenty instances in football of a player being sold on for a lesser amount than was paid for them.  Shankland’s stint at Beerschot has hardly been a raging success, that will be a factor in any transfer.

Given Shankland has been playing every game, if they're willing to let him go they'd prob want to at least recoup what they paid for him too.
Has a relegation clause where he can leave, not sure of price in his clause though

3 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

There are plenty instances in football of a player being sold on for a lesser amount than was paid for them.  Shankland’s stint at Beerschot has hardly been a raging success, that will be a factor in any transfer.

Also consider any sell on fee / add ons / appearance fees we would be entitled to could well be waived (if we were going to bid for him) and his price drops closer to what they would have given us up front.

They may just want to cut their losses.

Not saying we could afford that or even afford his wage demands. He'll be on decent cash there.

I think its a no go for us (id be hugely surprised and delighted even if we tried) and i dont think he'd want to come back here. My guess is if its anyone in Scotland it'll be either Hertz (most likely) or Hibs. Mind you, you never know.

2 hours ago, wardy83 said:
8 hours ago, ArabFC said:

Has a relegation clause where he can leave, not sure of price in his clause though

My guess would be close to what they paid up front for him. Was that not about £300k?

ETA 

Any deal would hinge on negotiations with Beerschot, who want a minimum £500,000 to sell Shankland at this stage. He signed a three-year contract there last August without a relegation release clause but hasn’t had the success he hoped for.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/hearts-keen-to-sign-lawrence-shankland-as-beerschots-transfer-demands-are-made-clear-3676037

Edited by mishtergrolsch

16 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Also consider any sell on fee / add ons / appearance fees we would be entitled to could well be waived (if we were going to bid for him) and his price drops closer to what they would have given us up front.

They may just want to cut their losses.

Not saying we could afford that or even afford his wage demands. He'll be on decent cash there.

I think its a no go for us (id be hugely surprised and delighted even if we tried) and i dont think he'd want to come back here. My guess is if its anyone in Scotland it'll be either Hertz (most likely) or Hibs. Mind you, you never know.

Yeah saved me typing a bit here cheers 🤣

24 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Not saying it's likely, but would United not just be a case.of Beerschot not paying the full fee? They paid an initial low figure, there would be instalments then the add-ons etc. Insituations like this,as you've said in the previous message, all that would be written off by United and. We'd just get the player.

They wil want that from a third party to cover sell on fee and other clauses/instalments to United.

11 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Šafranko playing for some South African club, on loan from what I can make out.

Not on loan, they bought him in 2021.

So a few hundred £K for each of Safranko and Shankland? Surely that's worth it for a European push?

'Mon Mr Ogren, get that war chest open!

1 minute ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Not on loan, they bought him in 2021.

So a few hundred £K for each of Safranko and Shankland? Surely that's worth it for a European push?

'Mon Mr Ogren, get that war chest open!

Both of them is unrealistic and possibly unnecessary.  Wouldn’t say no mind you.

37 minutes ago, Tap in 94 said:

Why unnecessary? We're desperate for a couple of good strikers 

34 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Was about to say the same. Nowhere near unnecessary. Imagine those two with a semi competent winger in the side?

Oooft.

Bizarre from @Granny Danger imo.

If we were definitely going to play with two out-and-out strikers fair enough, but there’s no indication that Courts would do that and neither of these players could be expected to play a bit role.  Neither would I want us to play one of them out of position, we did it with Šafranko previously and apparently Beerschot have done it with Shankland.

We will have Watt and Clark and Chalmers has done enough on loan to be pushing to get regular starts.  Don’t see spending money on both players as being the best use of resources.

4 hours ago, wardy83 said:
10 hours ago, ArabFC said:

Maybe that’s true, but seems a wholly counterproductive (nee stupid) clause for a club to insert in a contract.

Clubs adding wage cut clauses for getting relegated - sure.

And if he is starting and finishing nearly every game, no matter how shit they’ve been, they clearly rate him a little.

Edited by ArabFC

14 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

If we were definitely going to play with two out-and-out strikers fair enough, but there’s no indication that Courts would do that and neither of these players could be expected to play a bit role.  Neither would I want us to play one of them out of position, we did it with Šafranko previously and apparently Beerschot have done it with Shankland.

We will have Watt and Clark and Chalmers has done enough on loan to be pushing to get regular starts.  Don’t see spending money on both players as being the best use of resources.

If the manager couldn't fit two forwards with Watt playing off them into a system then he's not a very good manager.

Clark and Chalmers (if he goes on to actually be of any use) would be backup.

I feel that if the club could afford them (which they clearly cant, my comment was tongue in cheek) then they wouldn't be unnecessary by any means. We would just have to play two forwards which, crazily enough, might help us score some more goals and give us some excitement. 

2 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

If the manager couldn't fit two forwards with Watt playing off them into a system then he's not a very good manager.

Clark and Chalmers (if he goes on to actually be of any use) would be backup.

I feel that if the club could afford them (which they clearly cant, my comment was tongue in cheek) then they wouldn't be unnecessary by any means. We would just have to play two forwards which, crazily enough, might help us score some more goals and give us some excitement. 

Mmmm…

35 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

I'm talking in terms of Shankland and Safranko. Not Clark and McNulty. 

Plus, I'm still not sold on Courts anyway.

Courts is going to be at Tannadice next season, thought he might move on but I doubt it now.

Whatever my thoughts on him if he starts the season with us I hope he ends it with us.