The Dundee United Thread 22/23

7 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

We qualified for Europe tonight, and some fans are still fucking moaning. Chacun à son goût, I guess

Some fans are capable of thinking beyond the result of the day.

Some fans are capable of thinking beyond the result of the day.
I assume we are not doing so well in the "beyond the result of the day" league table that seems to exist only in your head. My apologies, I was concentrating on the actual results. I won't do that again.

19 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

I would suggest "qualified for Europe in his first season in charge" will probably supercede that on his CV, but never mind

100% and rightfully so. 

19 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

It’s naive to think Levitt will sign for us.

Sadly, with each spectacular goal he’s scored in the last couple of months he’s become less and less likely to sign for us. If he was doing things like that for either side of the Old Firm he’d probably have won Young Player of the Year. 

Edited by Junior_Arab

We’ve qualified for Europe and still have a reasonable chance of finishing fourth and these things should be celebrated, no one is denying that.  But the management of the team and the tactics have been baffling and infuriating with not trying to attack until we went behind tonight being a prime example.

I think it's fair to be delighted with the end of season position, while also being frustrated with the manner in which it was achieved.

To be fair to Courts, although it was pretty negative until Celtic scored, he was brave enough to then go at them to try to get the point. It will hopefully encourage him to be more attacking in future. I also don't think we are that far away from a reasonable team. A decent target man/centre forward, and a proper defensive midfielder would be my priorities.

It's probably looking back through rose tinted spectacles, but when I saw Rankin on the coverage tonight, I thought he's exactly the kind of player we're missing at the moment

5 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

We’ve qualified for Europe and still have a reasonable chance of finishing fourth and these things should be celebrated, no one is denying that.  But the management of the team and the tactics have been baffling and infuriating with not trying to attack until we went behind tonight being a prime example.

Looking at it another way, we were on a point when the game started 0-0, and still had that point at half time. When Celtic took that point away from us, we fought back and won it back. 

Hearts attacked Celtic on Saturday from the off, and got pumped 4-1: they're a better team that us.

1 minute ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Looking at it another way, we were on a point when the game started 0-0, and still had that point at half time. When Celtic took that point away from us, we fought back and won it back. 

Hearts attacked Celtic on Saturday from the off, and got pumped 4-1: they're a better team that us.

If you enjoy watching us play like that I’m happy for you.

Massive caveat on the fact that Celtic didn't need to win but I was pleasantly surprised how willing the players were to play passes in tight situations. I thought Meekison was excellent and looks a terrific young player.  With the rumoured signings for next season (Levitt, Hendry and Hungbo), we could be in for a good season next year.

Edited by Alert Mongoose

1 minute ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Massive caveat on the fact that Celtic didn't need to win but I was pleasantly surprised how willing the players were to play passes in tight situations. I thought Meekison was excellent and looks a terrific young player.  With the rumoured signings for next season (Levitt, Henry and Hungbo), we could be in for a good season next year.

Hard to disagree.

The difference for me after they scored wasn't that there was a massive change in the approach as such, more that the intensity and the pace lifted significantly. We were a bit too passive before that. As I said in my previous post, hopefully the fact that we could do that against Celtic will encourage us to do it against everyone else

28 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

If you enjoy watching us play like that I’m happy for you.

It's part of football today, but I've not written anywhere that I'm enjoying the displays. There are many aspects of modern football that I reckon are pish, and the likes of VAR will make it an even less enjoyable experience.

12 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Massive caveat on the fact that Celtic didn't need to win but I was pleasantly surprised how willing the players were to play passes in tight situations. I thought Meekison was excellent and looks a terrific young player.  With the rumoured signings for next season (Levitt, Hendry and Hungbo), we could be in for a good season next year.

Jack, Callum or someone else?

35 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Oh baby do you know what it's worth. Dylan LEVITT will sign for us

He’s been cracking every time we have played you. I wouldn’t be surprised if we weren’t sniffing about him and a good few higher up championship sides.

59 minutes ago, gannonball said:

He’s been cracking every time we have played you. I wouldn’t be surprised if we weren’t sniffing about him and a good few higher up championship sides.

Aye but he's loving it here and knows what a stepping stone United can be for him.