The Dundee United Thread 22/23

5 hours ago, Dunfermline Arab said:

Is there another league in Europe (perhaps the world) where the league winners has only ever been one of two teams in the past 30 years? 

I think the Spanish and German leagues are probably not far off that considering the amount of well funded clubs. Maybe 3 or 4 teams in the last 30 years but 2 clubs are far more dominant. The Dutch league is also similar.

5 hours ago, Dunfermline Arab said:

Is there another league in Europe (perhaps the world) where the league winners has only ever been one of two teams in the past 30 years? 

27 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

I think the Spanish and German leagues are probably not far off that considering the amount of well funded clubs. Maybe 3 or 4 teams in the last 30 years but 2 clubs are far more dominant. The Dutch league is also similar.

If I remember correctly from the last time this was discussed, there have been least 6 teams since 1992 that have won the top league in Germany, 5 in the Spanish league and 5 in the Dutch league.  So,  no I don’t think there are any other leagues, certainly in Europe, that is so stale in terms of different clubs wining the league.   I wonder why TV companies don’t pay big money for Scottish football?

19 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

If I remember correctly from the last time this was discussed, there have been least 6 teams since 1992 that have won the top league in Germany, 5 in the Spanish league and 5 in the Dutch league. So, no I don’t think there are any other leagues, certainly in Europe, that is so stale in terms of different clubs wining the league.   I wonder why TV companies don’t pay big money for Scottish football?

Yup. We've had 2 winners in the last 30 years and will have no additional winners in the next 30 years - not withstanding them fucking off elsewhere.

I'll honestly be surprised if United manage to finish within 20 points of any given champions during my lifetime if we continue with the same setup.

In 2010 when we had a pretty good team (finished 3rd and won the Cup) we still finished 24 points behind Rangers.

Let's not try and pretend that our league is anything other than a shitshow.

13 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Turkey, Greece, Croatia probably the closest, they all seem to have 3 teams sharing the silverware

1 hour ago, Arabdownunder said:

Turkey, Greece, Croatia probably the closest, they all seem to have 3 teams sharing the silverware

Only 6 teams have ever won the Turkish league, but it’s been a bit up in the air lately due to financial problems. Bursaspor won in it in 09-10, Basaksehir won it in 19-20 so 5 different champions in the last 10 years or so. 

Trabzonspor (remember watching them at Tannadice) are 12 points clear this year and Fenerbahce are 6th, Besiktas 7th and Galatasaray 12th. 

16 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

If I remember correctly from the last time this was discussed, there have been least 6 teams since 1992 that have won the top league in Germany, 5 in the Spanish league and 5 in the Dutch league.  So,  no I don’t think there are any other leagues, certainly in Europe, that is so stale in terms of different clubs wining the league.   I wonder why TV companies don’t pay big money for Scottish football?

Ukraine's top flight has been won by Dynamo Kiev or Shakhtar Dontesk going back to 1992/3 season. Only one I can think of. Even Moldova, which Sheriff have won 19 years on the trot, have had 3 winners

6 hours ago, forkboy said:

Ukraine's top flight has been won by Dynamo Kiev or Shakhtar Dontesk going back to 1992/3 season. Only one I can think of. Even Moldova, which Sheriff have won 19 years on the trot, have had 3 winners

Good bit of research.  I notice a different team won the Ukrainian league in 1992.   Aberdeen were the last non Old Firm team to win the league back in 1985.  That’s a pretty predictable and boring league when you stop to think about it.  Little wonder there’s no real interest in it outwith Scotland. 

On 15/02/2022 at 03:14, RB-Scotland said:

Yep. Every attempt to improve Scottish football as a product is just moving the deckchairs on the titanic until we find a way to make it more competitive at the top of the table.

I'm sure if the other clubs thought about it for more than 10 seconds, they could come up with a way to deprive Celtic and Sevco from winning the title every year. Maybe not an ethical, or strictly legal way, but a way all the same.

21 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

The reaction on this thread to our cup draw sums up my feelings too, lads.

The only "good" thing about it was when we were drawn I immediately said to my.other half "will play Celtic", and when The Fun™ were drawn, guessed Rangers*. No point asking me for predictions, that draw was easier to predict than someone's answer to a 50/50 question. Better going out at Tannadice rather than losing to these buggers again at Hampden. At least it will allow us to concentrate on the league!!

Having said that, c'mon United knock these buggers out (please, just once?)

1 hour ago, Big Shedboy said:

I'm sure if the other clubs thought about it for more than 10 seconds, they could come up with a way to deprive Celtic and Sevco from winning the title every year. Maybe not an ethical, or strictly legal way, but a way all the same.

40 point deduction every time their fans sing a bigoted song.

2 hours ago, Big Shedboy said:

Well there was that four year period when Rangers were out of the top flight when they could've removed the 11-1 voting block (OF veto).

But they didn't.

37 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:
1 hour ago, ArabFC said:
Well there was that four year period when Rangers were out of the top flight when they could've removed the 11-1 voting block (OF veto).
But they didn't.

That was mostly down to Aberdeen having an over-inflated perception of their own importance ⭐⭐

FTFY