The Dundee United Thread 22/23

10 hours ago, ArabFC said:

Nor me. And I’d have been more surprised and worried to see Watt straight into the starting XI.

Most managers will have an idea of their team days in advance and will be setting them up with that in mind in training.

It's a valid point, but there has to be exceptions. You can be sure Lafferty will be in from the start today. I'd have said likewise with Watt during the week.

1 hour ago, Steven W said:

It's a valid point, but there has to be exceptions. You can be sure Lafferty will be in from the start today. I'd have said likewise with Watt during the week.

I was thinking the same - I would be very surprised if Lafferty did not start today. Plans should change when circumstances do.

3 hours ago, TheScarf said:

What like is Chalmers? I recognise the name but don’t ever remember seeing him playing. Our record of actually playing youngsters on loan from Premiership clubs isn’t great.

Very skilful, left footed, tends to play cutting in from the right wing. No doubting his ability but still doesn't contribute very much and tends to either dribble until he loses the ball or shoot from impossible angles.  Could end up a very good player or a largely pointless show pony. Really needs to learn the game and hasn't played much top team football for his age.

17 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Very skilful, left footed, tends to play cutting in from the right wing. No doubting his ability but still doesn't contribute very much and tends to either dribble until he loses the ball or shoot from impossible angles.  Could end up a very good player or a largely pointless show pony. Really needs to learn the game and hasn't played much top team football for his age.

Sounds better than Tom Walsh. That’s me sold!

Siegrist 
       Edwards Mulgrew McMann 
Freeman                            Sporle 
                Butcher   Levitt 
                        Clark 
                McNulty Watt

this has been doing the rounds 

Based on what exactly? Probably in the running for worst take of 2022 and its only January

Well the top 5 generally takes cares of itself. There is then always a team that performs well to join them. Motherwell have been fairly consistent last few seasons so would have them as favourites to complete the top 6. After this, every other team is much of a muchness therefore would expect them all to be happy to avoid a relegation play off (equally a bit of form could also see them get top 6).

United performed well earlier in season which looked like it would take you away from a relegation battle and might be enough to do that. However, I don’t think it was too outrageous to say United fans should have expected a relegation battle at the start of the season

We missed out on a top 6 place by a point and reached a cup semi final. Then we brought in a Finnish international, a Welsh international, a former Scottish international as well as a Northern Ireland international yet you believe we should have expected a relegation battle? 

As i said the first time, a bizarre take

1 hour ago, Twinkle said:

We missed out on a top 6 place by a point and reached a cup semi final. Then we brought in a Finnish international, a Welsh international, a former Scottish international as well as a Northern Ireland international yet you believe we should have expected a relegation battle? 

And the club told us top 6 is a minimum expectation this season.

Fair enough. Sounds like you are expecting top 6 so see how it goes.

8 hours ago, Aufc said:

Well the top 5 generally takes cares of itself. There is then always a team that performs well to join them. Motherwell have been fairly consistent last few seasons so would have them as favourites to complete the top 6. After this, every other team is much of a muchness therefore would expect them all to be happy to avoid a relegation play off (equally a bit of form could also see them get top 6).

United performed well earlier in season which looked like it would take you away from a relegation battle and might be enough to do that. However, I don’t think it was too outrageous to say United fans should have expected a relegation battle at the start of the season

I still agree, as you say at the start of the season there were many United fans predicting relegation under Tam Courts.

6 hours ago, Twinkle said:

Not really bizarre, given the anti Courts stance of a sizeable element of the support when the season commenced. The Finnish international, and the Welsh international, weren't at Tannadice at the start of the season.

5 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

And the club told us top 6 is a minimum expectation this season.

And again, a lot of supporters scoffed at any such prediction, angry at the appointment by the club (Asghar) of Courts.

5 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

And again, a lot of supporters scoffed at any such prediction, angry at the appointment by the club (Asghar) of Courts.

Fwiw I don't think well make top 6. Not because I'm angry at Asghar or Courts, because I think we're pish.