The Dundee United Thread 22/23

5 hours ago, Steven W said:

Aye? Just recently motm v Livingston. That goal v Hibs.

When he gets the ball he shows more willing to get forward than all the other midfielders.

Just my opinion of course. 

Nah I hear you, but there was other games think it was livi away and Motherwell away, where he was seriously poor 

however I do agree he’s got something special about him, would rather him than harkes who’s went back to his usual self being a wee fanny

Aye have to agree Fuchs was pretty useless last night. Think a big part of not being able to progress the play was due to him not really being snappy and as robust as normal. 

His knack of carrying the ball through people wasn't there so it didn't stick in the midfield at all. 

That along with Levitt being so deep basically left Harkes on his own in the midfield and he barely seen the ball because of it. 

1 minute ago, Tannadeechee said:

I was giving them the benefit of the doubt. This better...

This for me. Argued with many United fans about this point. "We need a striker" is the mantra, why? What good are they going to do with the way we play? Doesn't matter who is playing up front if they never get the ball! We need a creative player and some tactics.

Courts has been manager for seven months now and I still have no idea how he wants the team to play. Maybe that's my fault and I'm just not spotting it, but week to week it just appears random.

I take a little issue with this request from 90% of posters for a 'creative player' - who? I mean, we'd all love the modern equivalent of a Charlie Miller or Ryan Gauld but they're rarer than a piece of fruit in Leigh Griffiths kitchen.

If they give a f**k on any particular day - Fuchs and Levitt are a decent midfield base - you can play any one from Glass, Mochrie, Pawlett, Harkes or other to give you a bit of forward drive, but we're then left with the fundamental problem of only having one out-and-out wide player - Niskanen (and just like every wide player we will ever have, they tend to go through spells of being shite). FFS Conway! 

So you chuck Watt out wide, McNulty out wide, Clark out wide, Appere out wide, Pawlett out wide, Chalmers out wide and the fans all bemoan the lack of creativity because, well, obvz!

10 minutes ago, Finn Seemann said:

Levitt needs to play in front of Fuchs (he's a ball winner not a creative) Harkes needs to play on the bench.  Courts needs to play with the traffic.

Levitt is very very very obviously a deep lying midfielder. 

Edited by ArabFC

17 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Courts has been manager for seven months now and I still have no idea how he wants the team to play. Maybe that's my fault and I'm just not spotting it, but week to week it just appears random.

I take a little issue with this request from 90% of posters for a 'creative player' - who? I mean, we'd all love the modern equivalent of a Charlie Miller or Ryan Gauld but they're rarer than a piece of fruit in Leigh Griffiths kitchen.

If they give a f**k on any particular day - Fuchs and Levitt are a decent midfield base - you can play any one from Glass, Mochrie, Pawlett, Harkes or other to give you a bit of forward drive, but we're then left with the fundamental problem of only having one out-and-out wide player - Niskanen (and just like every wide player we will ever have, they tend to go through spells of being shite). FFS Conway! 

So you chuck Watt out wide, McNulty out wide, Clark out wide, Appere out wide, Pawlett out wide, Chalmers out wide and the fans all bemoan the lack of creativity because, well, obvz!

The creative player does not necessarily need to play through the middle...modern football and modern mangers have broadly stopped using wingers and getting to the byline.

Wingers can create and actually play out wide at the same time. Remember FFS Conway? GMS? The way we played under Levein and Houston was to be stuffy through the middle with Jimmy and Prince, get the ball wide and then in the box.

Why oh why do we not try Watson and Niskannen out wide and get the ball in the box as often as possible? We've tried playing the fashionable way that they play in the other version of football in England and  Europe and we can't do it consistently to a good standard.

Remember wingers?

2 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Suppose you could put Levitt, Glass and Butcher in there. 

Either way its not the best midfield and shows up how much we need a box to box player and a creative player (unless we start utilising the young players).

This. This. This.

Get it sorted Tony.

2 hours ago, ArabFC said:

If they give a f**k on any particular day - Fuchs and Levitt are a decent midfield base - you can play any one from Glass, Mochrie, Pawlett, Harkes or other to give you a bit of forward drive, but we're then left with the fundamental problem of only having one out-and-out wide player - Niskanen (and just like every wide player we will ever have, they tend to go through spells of being shite). FFS Conway

1 hour ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Wingers can create and actually play out wide at the same time. Remember FFS Conway? GMS? The way we played under Levein and Houston was to be stuffy through the middle with Jimmy and Prince, get the ball wide and then in the box.

Remember wingers?

Aye.

Everyone has called for Freeman to have been a starter in that match but the laddy wasn't fully fit. Reckon he would have started and ran out of steam before half time and folk would have questioned him starting! 

Any way I've heard Courts has the next 3 games to turn it around otherwise its curtains. 

7 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Everyone has called for Freeman to have been a starter in that match but the laddy wasn't fully fit. Reckon he would have started and ran out of steam before half time and folk would have questioned him starting! 

Any way I've heard Courts has the next 3 games to turn it around otherwise its curtains. 

And if he goes Tony should go too.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Biggest difference maker when he came on was Freeman.  He should probably have started or at least come on at half time.

I agree. But it was an error to start Neilson at right back. When Liam Smith was injured in the reverse fixture at Paisley, Ian Harkes did well there, and if he has to be picked every game he may have been a suitable replacement for Freeman if he was short of full fitness.

56 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Regarding Freeman, what is his injury, if you know? I mind he took a dreadful (and unpunished) challenge in the Livingston match, and wonder if it's as a result of that which continues his issues.

Have you heard if it's 3 games including the cup, or 3 games up to the Dens derby?

48 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

And if he goes Tony should go too.

How often does a board member leave when the head coach or manager is relieved of his position? Cannae see that happening if Courts goes.

As I wrote last night, I was not against Courts getting the job, but it looks like his time is almost up.

33 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

I agree. But it was an error to start Neilson at right back. When Liam Smith was injured in the reverse fixture at Paisley, Ian Harkes did well there, and if he has to be picked every game he may have been a suitable replacement for Freeman if he was short of full fitness.

Regarding Freeman, what is his injury, if you know? I mind he took a dreadful (and unpunished) challenge in the Livingston match, and wonder if it's as a result of that which continues his issues.

Have you heard if it's 3 games including the cup, or 3 games up to the Dens derby?

How often does a board member leave when the head coach or manager is relieved of his position? Cannae see that happening if Courts goes.

As I wrote last night, I was not against Courts getting the job, but it looks like his time is almost up.

Afaik Freeman is being managed due to the 2 previous ligament injuries he's had, maybe not actively managed but it's definitely something they keep an eye on. And yes along with a couple of bad knocks he's had recently I don't think he's 100% atm. 

No idea about the specifics of games but got told he only had a few games to turn it around or his position would be untenable. 

Waiting until the end of the window to cast judgement. 

Kevin McDonald would step in and be a leader in the middle of the park, which is more than can be said for Calum 'yellow card in waiting' Butcher. I expect Shanks might happen and I fancy another winger may be looked at, but to be honest, it's time to give lads like Meekison some game time. Played for the shirt when he's had his chance.

3 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

I hope you're joking. That sort of chat only ever leads one way. If they've given up faith in the guy then pull the trigger, if not then they're just making his job harder.