The Dundee United Thread 22/23

8 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

The £100k was also just plucked from thin air. It seemed to be United fans on Twitter reading the 'six figure fee' that was being reported and rounding down as far as possible. I mean, £999,999 is also a 6 figure fee.

Your point about making that money back (£100k) is also precisely why it's unlikely that would be a figure that would be enough to incentivise Motherwell to sell. We're not in the position where we'd be falling over ourselves for £100k and handing over our top scorer to a direct rival would be an obvious risk to our league placing.

As Alexander was saying in the press the other day any fee would have a premium.

To put it into context, when Moult agreed to move to Preston with 6 months left on his deal he eventually went in the January for £500k.

Are United going to offer us £500k for Tony Watt? Probably not but the principle is the same, it would have to be an amount that would justify us selling.

I fucking hope not!

7 hours ago, skinny arab said:

Kerr Smith away to Villa in a deal worth up to £2m. Be interesting to see the structure of the deal and how much we are guaranteed to receive.

He wont be loaned back either, from what i understand he will go straight into their U23 side to develop.

Future Scotland star in the making?

27 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

The £100k was also just plucked from thin air. It seemed to be United fans on Twitter reading the 'six figure fee' that was being reported and rounding down as far as possible. I mean, £999,999 is also a 6 figure fee.

Your point about making that money back (£100k) is also precisely why it's unlikely that would be a figure that would be enough to incentivise Motherwell to sell. We're not in the position where we'd be falling over ourselves for £100k and handing over our top scorer to a direct rival would be an obvious risk to our league placing.

As Alexander was saying in the press the other day any fee would have a premium.

To put it into context, when Moult agreed to move to Preston with 6 months left on his deal he eventually went in the January for £500k.

Are United going to offer us £500k for Tony Watt? Probably not but the principle is the same, it would have to be an amount that would justify us selling.

Yeah, don't disagree with any of that and you may well be correct about the £100k also being pure guesswork. Simply offering a counterpoint to those balking at paying more than a nominal fee.

20 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Yeah, don't disagree with any of that and you may well be correct about the £100k also being pure guesswork. Simply offering a counterpoint to those balking at paying more than a nominal fee.

Aye, I mean I don't know enough about random United Twitter accounts to know whether this guy is a total shitehawk or not but this is where I saw the £100k thing and it just seemed to be unquestioningly accepted by (some) fans.

To add a bit more context on top of the Moult thing, this time last year we knocked back "substantial bids" for Allan Campbell because it wasn't in our interests to sell and we'd rather keep hold of the player. I don't see that our position would be any different now with Watt.

The obvious difference is it's public knowledge that Watt's signed a PCA whereas with Campbell it was just an open secret that he was heading south at the end of his contract (and we were protected by development comp).

As a general point though I'd say Alexander laid things out pretty well when he spoke to the press the other day.

Edited by capt_oats

United fans living in cloud cuckoo land I see. 

£100k to let the leagues top goalscorer leave at a crucial point in the season. You can GTF. 

I would keep him now even if they offered £500k the cheeky barstewards. 

Either way we will finish above you in the league this season and next despite you splashing the cash. 

Sadly the posts above are very similar and very much like Old Firm fans. 

Edited by welldaft

1 hour ago, welldaft said:

United fans living in cloud cuckoo land I see. 

£100k to let the leagues top goalscorer leave at a crucial point in the season. You can GTF. 

I would keep him now even if they offered £500k the cheeky barstewards. 

Either way we will finish above you in the league this season and next despite you splashing the cash. 

Sadly the posts above are very similar and very much like Old Firm fans. 

What an odd post.

3 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

What an odd post.

Not really. Your response was actually one of the more / only sane one on here. 

United fans sense of entitlement is as I say akin to Old Firm fans.

Let’s say we rewind a season and offered £100k or thereabouts to take Shankland on loan from you for 2nd half of the season you would have rightly wet yourselves laughing. I may b wrong here, but I suspect Watt has a better goal scoring record than he did at this point in the season. 

Pony up £200k + or jog on. We are happy to keep Watt till the summer so you guys debate how much he is worth. We are in the driving seat so to speak not United. 

Let’s say we rewind a season and offered £100k or thereabouts to take Shankland on loan from you for 2nd half of the season you would have rightly wet yourselves laughing. I may b wrong here, but I suspect Watt has a better goal scoring record than he did at this point in the season. 

Pony up £200k + or jog on. We are happy to keep Watt till the summer so you guys debate how much he is worth. We are in the driving seat so to speak not United. 

Whilst I agree with your sentiment, surely there is a part of you that will question Watt’s commitment till the end of the season. It is different from moult because he wasn’t moving to a league rival and he was also moving to England where there is more cash. Watt may well continue his form till the end of the season or he may completely down tools and motherwell are left a man down.

This is me just playing devils advocate btw. I’d almost certainly want my club to do as motherwell do.

Would think if shankland is available and wants to come back then United should bring him back till the end of the season and get watt for nothing

8 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Whilst I agree with your sentiment, surely there is a part of you that will question Watt’s commitment till the end of the season. It is different from moult because he wasn’t moving to a league rival and he was also moving to England where there is more cash. Watt may well continue his form till the end of the season or he may completely down tools and motherwell are left a man down.

This is me just playing devils advocate btw. I’d almost certainly want my club to do as motherwell do.

Would think if shankland is available and wants to come back then United should bring him back till the end of the season and get watt for nothing

My point is quite simple. It would literally be better for us to retain Watt till the end of the season and not play him. Than hand over one of our best players and the leagues top goalscorer to a rival for peanuts. I am quite sure GA will play him if he is here after the window closes by my point is still valid.

Again I may be wrong, but I suspect what Motherwell are looking for Watt will surely be less than Beerschot will be looking to loan you back Shankland. Did they not pay £1m for him ? Sure they will simply hand him back 🤨.

My last point (you will b glad to know) is that we hopefully have put a deadline on United to meet our valuation. As we would not want to hand him over on the last day of the window. Too late and too messy. Especially if we want to try and tempt Thistle from parting with Zak Rudden. So play nice 👍 

9 minutes ago, welldaft said:

My point is quite simple. It would literally be better for us to retain Watt till the end of the season and not play him. Than hand over one of our best players and the leagues top goalscorer to a rival for peanuts. I am quite sure GA will play him if he is here after the window closes by my point is still valid.

Again I may be wrong, but I suspect what Motherwell are looking for Watt will surely be less than Beerschot will be looking to loan you back Shankland. Did they not pay £1m for him ? Sure they will simply hand him back 🤨.

My last point (you will b glad to know) is that we hopefully have put a deadline on United to meet our valuation. As we would not want to hand him over on the last day of the window. Too late and too messy. Especially if we want to try and tempt Thistle from parting with Zak Rudden. So play nice 👍 

Beerschot didn't pay 1 million in full up front. 

Any deal done between them and United will be in the region of 250/300k if anything, they've not paid the full balance of the upfront fee yet. Hardly any clubs in football do this you do know that yeah? 

I think some of the M'well boys are missing the point here.  We are not trying to steal your star player on the cheap.  We are questioning whether we'd be better waiting for Watt and spending what M'well are demanding on other business.  

There is no way we are paying £500K for Watt now and even at £100K we might be better doing something else.  M'well can shout all they like but as others have said he's only of value to M'well if he stays focussed and keeps scoring goals.  From the amount of different clubs he has played for I wouldn't be too confident he scores highly on the commitment front...

3 hours ago, welldaft said:

I don't think that's right. Folk are merely commenting on the merits of paying a fee for a guy who is arriving for free in a few months' time. It's no reflection on Motherwell, United or Tony Watt to debate whether it's worthwhile laying out a relatively large sum of money in those circumstances. Indeed, if anything, the concern about paying such a fee (pretty modest in the grand scheme of things) actually highlights how aware United fans are of their place in the pecking order.

1 hour ago, Pull My Strings said:

I don't think that's right. Folk are merely commenting on the merits of paying a fee for a guy who is arriving for free in a few months' time. It's no reflection on Motherwell, United or Tony Watt to debate whether it's worthwhile laying out a relatively large sum of money in those circumstances. Indeed, if anything, the concern about paying such a fee (pretty modest in the grand scheme of things) actually highlights how aware United fans are of their place in the pecking order.

Fair enough. I got out of bed the wrong side this morning. 

All clubs fans talk up the value of their players. The reality is if United meet our asking price if indeed they offer a tempting fee then he will be offski.  I very much doubt we would be quoting anything unrealistic in the grand scheme of things.

I read somewhere St Mirren quoting a fee of £350k for Aberdeen to get McGrath this month. He too is out of contract in the summer I believe. Good value or not I would argue Watt is as important to us as McGrath is to St Mirren. 

Your need for a proven goalscorer is high. Watts work rate is also immense. 

Anyway time will tell….

2 hours ago, Finn Seemann said:

From the amount of different clubs he has played for I wouldn't be too confident he scores highly on the commitment front...

Cracking endorsement of the boy you've just signed on a three year deal  :lol:  

3 hours ago, Desp said:

Cracking endorsement of the boy you've just signed on a three year deal  :lol:  

Not overly sold on the lad to be honest.  Current form he is what we need, but not that convinced it will translate.  The endorsement, if that is what you call it, is just a fact though.  Maybe he has changed, maybe not.  Potentially why few United fans are desperate to break the bank for him now. Whilst a free PCA seems a decent gamble.

14 minutes ago, Robin.Hood said:

Transfer news LIVE: Kevin McDonald training with Dundee United as former Scotland star battles back from kidney transplant 

Was a very good player.  Whether he’ll ever be fit enough to play regularly again I have no idea.  Training with us can’t do any harm and short term contract to the end of the season might be an option.