The Dundee United Thread 22/23

40 minutes ago, Robin.Hood said:

Villa bid 800k for kerr smith.

20% sell on and id drive him down there myself.

It would pay for Shankland now (if he wanted to come back, that is) and a gold statue of Tony Asghar after Smith makes 30 appearances and gets sold for £103Million to Generic Monopoly League Team Blue in 3 years time.

Edited by mishtergrolsch

2 hours ago, Robin.Hood said:

Villa bid 800k for kerr smith.

I wonder if we’ll ever again see a real talented kid come through the ranks and play for our first team - for even a few dozen games - before being sold on?

Where once we had the likes of Stuart Armstrong, Johnny Russell and others getting 100 games under their belt before moving on, now we can’t hold on to kids that have barely played for us.

Whether it be the likes of Harry Souttar (who’s gone on to do well), Ali Coote (who didn’t) or Scott Banks (who might) we get the briefest of glimpses and off they pop.

Christ, even Kieran Freeman didn’t manage a game before he was taken by Southampton before returning.

29 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

I wonder if we’ll ever again see a real talented kid come through the ranks and play for our first team - for even a few dozen games - before being sold on?

Where once we had the likes of Stuart Armstrong, Johnny Russell and others getting 100 games under their belt before moving on, now we can’t hold on to kids that have barely played for us.

Whether it be the likes of Harry Souttar (who’s gone on to do well), Ali Coote (who didn’t) or Scott Banks (who might) we get the briefest of glimpses and off they pop.

Christ, even Kieran Freeman didn’t manage a game before he was taken by Southampton before returning.

Its the way of it in modern football. Big clubs hoovering up any kid that can kick a ball to a semi reasonable level gets bought for a pittance, thrown in an academy with other kids from around the world and its sink or swim.

Until the clubs / players / families tell these big-ish clubs to bolt and turn down the big money, just for a few years, they'll make even bigger money at even bigger clubs down the line. But thats a hard thing to turn down and one injury can end whats already a short career.

This model has ruined football, but our club does the same thing on a smaller level. There's always a bigger fish.

Just now, Loemba90 said:

Carson?  Definitely at fault for spurs equaliser.

To be honest I was playing along with the original posters' deliberate vagueness. I assume his 👀👀👀 was in reference to the fact Carson's Morecambe were leading 1-0.

I've now seen that goal on the internet - yep Carson badly at fault.