The Dundee United Thread 22/23

2 hours ago, ArabFC said:

I really don’t get what anyone sees in Sporle. He’s a crap left-back and a crap wide player. He gets a game every now and then and then does his best headless chicken impression.

His only real value is his flexibility and popping up with a very occasional goal but we need alternatives to our only wide player in Niskanen and Sporle will never be good enough.

Agree. Sporle is rotten. His only attribute is that hes a complete headless chicken which bamboozles not only the opposition but Sporle himself.

3 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Disagree about Watt.  We need a goal scorer now.

Our chance creation is so poor he'll hardly make a difference till we address that imo. Maybe a few goals but I'm struggling to see 250k (Allegedly) for 6 months being worth it. We'd have to finish an extra 2 places higher in the table than we would be expecting to without him.

Bearing in mind our goal was 6th  (at least) this season, we'd be looking at 4th to make that square off. Not taking cup runs into account, of course. Hibs, Aberdeen and Hertz are all bigger spenders than us and probably in the Edinburgh clubs case, are far better teams. Aberdeen appear to be getting their shit together too now.

I'm not particularly against Watt, im not his biggest fan by any means but if the chairman wants to lob a couple hundred grand out his own pocket then cool, crack on. Just think there must be other options out there as a short term solution taking into account  there's an agent running the show.

Edited by mishtergrolsch

31 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Another cracking transfer window in prospect then

Carson away to Morecombe.

Bids for Kerr Smith from Crystal Palace apparently too. Maybe we could send them Liam Smith instead?

A double decker bus full of £50 notes spotted leaving Tannadice for Motherwell earlier today. I hope Harkes was driving and there wasn't enough fuel to get back. 

My guess would be one of Benji or Fuchs will be away this window too.

2 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Carson away to Morecombe.

Bids for Kerr Smith from Crystal Palace apparently too. Maybe we could send them Liam Smith instead?

A double decker bus full of £50 notes spotted leaving Tannadice for Motherwell earlier today. I hope Harkes was driving and there wasn't enough fuel to get back. 

My guess would be one of Benji or Fuchs will be away this window too.

I've long since accepted Fuchs would be away, my only remaining hope for that is that he doesn't stay in the league

7 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I've long since accepted Fuchs would be away, my only remaining hope for that is that he doesn't stay in the league

Not sure if it was discussed here before but he wont be good enough for the Uglies and he'll probably be too expensive for anyone else in the league for what he offers.

Low end Championship to top of League 1 id guess. Or most likely off abroad.

Carson being offloaded is a massive surprise. Surely you'd just take the opportunity to bench/sell Siegrist now to keep Carson happy since he would be your future long term keeper? Especially since there's no risk of going down.

22 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

Unless we had another gem of a keeper lined up to replace Benji and Carson it would be utterly mental both going or even the possibility of both going. 

Agree with this - surely there is a decent chance that Benji is either going this month or is (as is common with players that sign pre-contract agreements with other teams) going to be phased out in the second half of the season.  Carson has looked pretty decent when called upon, I would not be averse to him getting a proper run out in this next couple of months.

21 hours ago, Tap in 94 said:

We are linked with David Odumusu, Irish u21 International goalie 

He's 20.  That scares me.  I'm not sure we have relied on such a young keeper since Paul Gallacher.  

21 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

I'd be pretty disappointed if we spent a couple of hundred grand on getting Watt 6 months early. Especially someone with as varied a record as him. Hes found a club he fits with and I just can't see it being replicated to the same level at Utd.

Agree with this - he is undoubtedly on a great run of form, but I just have a horrible feeling he might revert to the Tony Watt that was at Hearts and St Johnstone (and every other club in his career, really) when he comes to us.

18 hours ago, ArabFC said:

I really don’t get what anyone sees in Sporle. He’s a crap left-back and a crap wide player. 

Hard to argue with this - I've sometimes wondered if he should be given a bash up front/just off the striker.  He has a half-decent eye for goal and surely we have needed a second guy up there on at least a few occasions this season.

12 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Bids for Kerr Smith from Crystal Palace apparently too.

Get him and Scott Banks back on loan for the next 18 months and it's a deal.

10 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Especially since there's no risk of going down.

I love your confidence!  You clearly haven't watched any of our recent games...

32 minutes ago, arab_joe said:

Agree with this - he is undoubtedly on a great run of form, but I just have a horrible feeling he might revert to the Tony Watt that was at Hearts and St Johnstone (and every other club in his career, really) when he comes to us.

I just feel its got Lee Miller written all over it.

3 hours ago, arab_joe said:

He's 20.  That scares me.  I'm not sure we have relied on such a young keeper since Paul Gallacher.  

We had Harry Lewis on loan from Southampton… and he turned out to be thoroughly mediocre. He was on the bench for them the other day though. 

And don’t forget the Zwick & Szromnik double act, which was a major contributory factor in our relegation

2 hours ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

My worry is that I am not sure the system we play is best suited to Tony Watt's strengths. We shall see

Yeah would agree with that. I dont think we do. If we change system and begin to create more chances then we may see the Motherwell Tony Watt.