The Dundee United Thread 22/23

Us picking up rejects from Utd is a weird (and slightly arrogant) idea - why would 'Well want to do that? 

Watt has been great but isn't such a great player that Utd would offer one of their actually decent players as a makeweight just to bring the transfer forward for a player they have already signed as that would be senseless - so we'd be stuck with someone not good enough to get into the Utd team. The fact that the record piece references "a couple of players" makes it worse.

3 minutes ago, Swello said:

Us picking up rejects from Utd is a weird (and slightly arrogant) idea - why would 'Well want to do that? 

Watt has been great but isn't such a great player that Utd would offer one of their actually decent players as a makeweight just to bring the transfer forward for a player they have already signed as that would be senseless - so we'd be stuck with someone not good enough to get into the Utd team. The fact that the record piece references "a couple of players" makes it worse.

The only reason I can think of it happening is that it's players where you currently only have a loaned player in and your board feels a permanent signing would be a better option. 

8 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

The only reason I can think of it happening is that it's players where you currently only have a loaned player in and your board feels a permanent signing would be a better option. 

Or a bus, do you have a smart first team bus, we could take that and move away from PoH.

On 28/12/2021 at 16:20, ArabFC said:

I'll stick with Tony Watt - the guy who has proven he can score goals at this level.

He has also proven that he can go months and months without scoring... but the deal has now been done so I'll park my reservations to one side and blindly hope he becomes the new Messi.

On 28/12/2021 at 16:32, Dundee Hibernian said:

I don't listen very much to him, or any other managers, but from the little I've heard, Courts just talks shite in a different style.

In Courts' defence, he has definitely toned down the management speak/5 syllable nonsensical words in his interviews, and also now occasionally pauses for breath.  Thankfully.

On 29/12/2021 at 18:38, ArabianKnight said:

Sparky back in full training. Finally. 

Off the top of my head I can only remember two games when we has been genuinely excellent for us - Aberdeen away in the Scottish Cup and Killie at home when he scored early doors and then really relaxed into the game.  If Watt isn't coming until the summer (or if Motherwell are demanding huge sums to allow him to leave this month) then we need a massive few months from McNulty. 

On 01/01/2022 at 23:05, ArabianKnight said:

Tbf I'd rather we got money for him now than watching him walk away for free in the summer. 

500k isn't to be sniffed at if it means a striker comes in. 

I'd agree with that - especially the way that Fuchs has been performing the last few weeks.

20 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

One of Chalmers, Mochrie, Glass or Watson should be given his starting role imo.

Pawlett was so good in the first few weeks of the season - such a shame to see his form dip so spectacularly.  That said, Chalmers hasn't looked up to it of late and I'd much rather we persevered with Pawlett or gave Declan Glass a run in the team.  Watson and Mochrie still a bit inexperienced, I'd say.

10 hours ago, Loemba90 said:

I wondered if Nicky Clark might be offered to ‘Well.  

We'd be mad to let him go - would put a huge amount of pressure on Watt/McNulty.

7 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

With the possibility of Benji going that wouldn’t be Wise.

Morecambe boss Stephen Robinson is poised to be reunited with Northern Ireland international Trevor Carson.

SunSport understands a deal is close for veteran keeper Carson to leave Dundee United for the League One outfit.

The 33-year-old's in talks with United's director of football Tony Ashgar over the remainder of his contract which runs until June, 2023.

Carson only pitched up at Tannadice last July and has made four appearances, including the 1-0 defeat to Rangers at Ibrox on December 18.

Robinson signed him for Motherwell from Hartlepool United for just £10,000 in 2017 and rejuvenated his career - leading to a bid from Celtic after he helped Well reach both the League Cup final and Scottish Cup final in his debut campaign.

Edited by Robin.Hood

1 minute ago, Robin.Hood said:

Morecambe boss Stephen Robinson is poised to be reunited with Northern Ireland international Trevor Carson.

SunSport understands a deal is close for veteran keeper Carson to leave Dundee United for the League One outfit.

The 33-year-old's in talks with United's director of football Tony Ashgar over the remainder of his contract which runs until June, 2023.

Carson only pitched up at Tannadice last July and has made four appearances, including the 1-0 defeat to Rangers at Ibrox on December 18.

Robinson signed him for Motherwell from Hartlepool United for just £10,000 in 2017 and rejuvenated his career - leading to a bid from Celtic after he helped Well reach both the League Cup final and Scottish Cup final in his debut campaign.

No idea where from this source 

I hope we accept nothing less than £500k.

BTW you spoilt my Morecambe and Wise gag.  I hope you’re happy with yourself.

21 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Unless we had another gem of a keeper lined up to replace Benji and Carson it would be utterly mental both going or even the possibility of both going. 

We are linked with David Odumusu, Irish u21 International goalie 

I'd be pretty disappointed if we spent a couple of hundred grand on getting Watt 6 months early. Especially someone with as varied a record as him. Hes found a club he fits with and I just can't see it being replicated to the same level at Utd.

Then to let a very decent keeper in Carson leave with Benji away at the end of the season too?

Tony's going to be doing some serious wheeling and dealing soon unless we're actually serious about unleashing our wonderkids?

1 hour ago, mishtergrolsch said:

I'd be pretty disappointed if we spent a couple of hundred grand on getting Watt 6 months early. Especially someone with as varied a record as him. Hes found a club he fits with and I just can't see it being replicated to the same level at Utd.

Then to let a very decent keeper in Carson leave with Benji away at the end of the season too?

Tony's going to be doing some serious wheeling and dealing soon unless we're actually serious about unleashing our wonderkids?

Disagree about Watt.  We need a goal scorer now.

16 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I think both Pawlett and Sporle have something to offer at United.

I really don’t get what anyone sees in Sporle. He’s a crap left-back and a crap wide player. He gets a game every now and then and then does his best headless chicken impression.

His only real value is his flexibility and popping up with a very occasional goal but we need alternatives to our only wide player in Niskanen and Sporle will never be good enough.

1 hour ago, ArabFC said:

I really don’t get what anyone sees in Sporle. He’s a crap left-back and a crap wide player. He gets a game every now and then and then does his best headless chicken impression.

His only real value is his flexibility and popping up with a very occasional goal but we need alternatives to our only wide player in Niskanen and Sporle will never be good enough.

I’d be happy for us to bring in a better wide player but I’m not sure that will happen.  There’s players I’d be happy to see go without replacement, Sporle is not one of them.