The Dundee United Thread 22/23

1 minute ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

How can you know? In fairness, I expect United to be offering more, and a longer contract might seal a deal, but how could you know the actual cash involved in the deal?

I am Tony Watt. 

Hello. 

According to the Shed Talk twitter account it will be Mikey Johnston too. Which is wild given he's got 3 years left on his contract and given Celtic's injury woes I can't see him coming on loan. 

* Should add its all over Celtic twitter accounts too. 

Edited by ArabianKnight

1 hour ago, ArabianKnight said:

According to the Shed Talk twitter account it will be Mikey Johnston too. Which is wild given he's got 3 years left on his contract and given Celtic's injury woes I can't see him coming on loan. 

* Should add its all over Celtic twitter accounts too. 

Your physio will be busy then.

17 hours ago, Desp said:

Some amount of money to be throwing at Tony Watt. Blew Motherwell out the water by a quite considerable margin. 

It'll be interesting to see how he gets on at Tannadice. As I said on the Motherwell thread, he's had plenty of clubs, but Motherwell's probably the only one he's exceeded expectations at. Is this season a one-off, or the new Tony Watt?

Disappointed he's gone to another team in the same league, of course, but he's given us excellent service. He's going for far more money so fair play to him. We'd all do the same to look after our family. 

I'll be delighted if hes a success, or at least better than Clark and McNulty.

However, its Dundee United we're talking about. I could list the amount of utter duds we've made out of players with good reputations. Or wasted the talent of good players somehow due to poor management or poor squad.

I've never been a fan of Watt, just something about him I've never liked. Probably partly down to the wildly overhyped start his career had coupled with fading away shortly after.

As i said earlier, I hope he's a success, obviously, but I'm not doing back flips over the news.

If anything we should offer them big Max and a chocolate orange to do the deal now. 

ETA thats if its a done deal. If not I fully expect him to have a Hibs scarf aloft tomorrow.

Edited by mishtergrolsch

6 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

I'll be delighted if hes a success, or at least better than Clark and McNulty.

However, its Dundee United we're talking about. I could list the amount of utter duds we've made out of players with good reputations. Or wasted the talent of good players somehow due to poor management or poor squad.

I've never been a fan of Watt, just something about him I've never liked. Probably partly down to the wildly overhyped start his career had coupled with fading away shortly after.

As i said earlier, I hope he's a success, obviously, but I'm not doing back flips over the news.

If anything we should offer them big Max and a chocolate orange to do the deal now. 

ETA thats if its a done deal. If not I fully expect him to have a Hibs scarf aloft tomorrow.

If we’re looking for a Scottish striker I don’t think we could do much better than Watt (within our budget) so certainly a signing to be welcomed.

Mikey Johnston would certainly be a good capture too.

8 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Funnily enough all Motherwell fans would have agreed with that POV when he joined us. But ask us now and we would say that asides from maybe Liam Kelly, Watt would b the one player we would not want to lose. I mean top goal scorer in the top flight FFS.

Never ever saw this coming. Not to DDee Utd. I accept you have a larger fan base but not a great gulf. What baffles me is that by all reports we are announcing a record profit and you have been on the back of hefty losses these past few years. Clearly we have our limit and have offered him the best deal we can. 

The Well fans will not take kindly to this news if true so better for all involved if he moves on in January. You just have to hope that it is the current Well version you get and not the Hearts or St Johnstone version. Personally I hope his career nosedives if it goes ahead. Nothing personal you understand 😉

On 24/12/2021 at 21:46, Desp said:

It'll be interesting to see how he gets on at Tannadice. As I said on the Motherwell thread, he's had plenty of clubs, but Motherwell's probably the only one he's exceeded expectations at. Is this season a one-off, or the new Tony Watt?

Watt's career, league games only (according to his Wikipedia, which may well be a bit out of date):

2010-11: 3 in 15

2011-12: 2 in 3

2012-13: 5 in 20

2013-14: 9 in 17

2014-15: 7 in 35

2015-16: 5 in 32

2016-17: 3 in 32

2017-18: 1 in 12

2018-19: 3 in 29

2019-20: 4 in 17

2020-21: 3 in 35

2021-22: 9 in 19

I know he has played in a variety of teams, in a variety of countries and in a variety of positions - but he has yet to manage double figures in a single season.  So forgive me for not doing what I did in the summer of 2003 with a young Collin Samuel and splashing out the extra tenner to have his name and number stuck on my top...

In short, I hate to be a cynic but I am far from convinced that we should be making big (as our learned colleague @Desp suggests) offers for Watt.

On 25/12/2021 at 00:08, invergowrie arab said:

Would be better with a traffic cone up front than Clark so if this comes off it's positive. 

Pretty harsh, in my eyes - he was always going to look a much better player in the Championship (stating the obvious, I know...), but he puts in a power of work and makes the most of his (slightly limited) ability.  Too much pressure is being put on him to play up front alone, with McNulty and Biamou having been injured the entire season and no strikers coming up through the ranks.  Clark is a far more reliable option than Appere as a support/sub when we sign strikers in January/McNulty comes back from injury.

Last season he got 11 goals from 38 games - a significantly better return than the aforementioned Tony Watt, for one...

On 25/12/2021 at 00:24, ArabianKnight said:

I can see why Celtic would want rid of him - he hasn't done nearly enough to justify another 3 years at the club.  He gets a huge amount of praise/hype from the likes of Packie Bonner on the BBC, but the reality is that he is about to turn 23 and has played less than 80 games as a pro - if he was half as good as Celtic would have you believe, he'd have (at least) twice that number.

22 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

I could list the amount of utter duds we've made out of players with good reputations. Or wasted the talent of good players somehow due to poor management or poor squad.

I have a real fear that, should we sign him, he will be the next Lee Miller.

15 hours ago, ArabFC said:

If we’re looking for a Scottish striker I don’t think we could do much better than Watt (within our budget) so certainly a signing to be welcomed.

Mikey Johnston would certainly be a good capture too.

I'm not certain at all.

13 hours ago, welldaft said:

What baffles me is that by all reports we are announcing a record profit and you have been on the back of hefty losses these past few years.

Why is that baffling?  You're Well run (excuse the pun) and stick to forecasts and budgets - whilst for as long as I can remember we have been in debt, run for the short term, and at times precariously close oblivion.  As I was reminded by the Dode Fox Podcast the other day, we do daft things like sign Alex Mathie for 500k (or the aforementioned Collin Samuel for 100k, or Lee Miller who we paid 275k for then let walk out for free...).  

1 hour ago, arab_joe said:

As I was reminded by the Dode Fox Podcast the other day, we do daft things like sign Alex Mathie for 500k 

I think it was closer to 700k, but regardless, a signing we made 23 years ago (stop crying) is hardly indicative of what we do today.

I'd be interested to hear of who others think we should sign instead of Watt? Let's stick with the provisos that they have to be Scottish in this instance, a forward (obviously) and available for little to nothing.

Depressing slide now. @Twinkleabsolutely correct with his opinion on Clark, does the square root of f**k all, no press, no harassing of defenders or getting stuck in up top. Been woeful more than a few games now.

We'll likely be without the services of Benji, Fuchs and Levitt after the January window shuts (I've heard Levitt needs extensive treatment back at Man U but that's from a dubious source) so going to need to sign two ball winning midfielders who can pick a pass. 

Watt up front with his style and drive he's shown recently should help stop the rot a bit and hopefully get in about the goals. 

McGrath will be a useful addition too and I'm praying the club get that one over the line as him and Harkes would link together well. 

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

How much would you be prepared to pay for Watt in January? Could really make the difference in this relegation battle.

You’re sitting fourth, it’s a bit bizarre to be thinking about relegation.

2 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

Depressing slide now. @Twinkleabsolutely correct with his opinion on Clark, does the square root of f**k all, no press, no harassing of defenders or getting stuck in up top. Been woeful more than a few games now.

We'll likely be without the services of Benji, Fuchs and Levitt after the January window shuts (I've heard Levitt needs extensive treatment back at Man U but that's from a dubious source) so going to need to sign two ball winning midfielders who can pick a pass. 

Watt up front with his style and drive he's shown recently should help stop the rot a bit and hopefully get in about the goals. 

McGrath will be a useful addition too and I'm praying the club get that one over the line as him and Harkes would link together well. 

Tbh if we're going to chuck at least £100k minimum to Motherwell for him we'd also be as well firing some of the lottery money we must have won on a creative midfielder capable of carving teams open. Harkes and Pawlett are neither capable, consistent or good enough to do that regularly and the young boys are unproven and will blow hot and cold.

Unless the move is being funded by the huge money we're getting for two out of contract players...

Are we getting McGrath on loan or permanent?

17 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Tbh if we're going to chuck at least £100k minimum to Motherwell for him we'd also be as well firing some of the lottery money we must have won on a creative midfielder capable of carving teams open. Harkes and Pawlett are neither capable, consistent or good enough to do that regularly and the young boys are unproven and will blow hot and cold.

Unless the move is being funded by the huge money we're getting for two out of contract players...

Are we getting McGrath on loan or permanent?

Aberdeen, Hibs and Dundee Utd fans all claiming/appearing confident that their respective club have signed Jamie McGrath. Fully expect him to sign for an English league 1 side.