The Dundee United Thread 22/23

Not sticking up for Butcher's stupidity, but he maybe brought a bit more urgency to the team from his introduction. I'd have taken Clark off though, and put Appere through the middle, he's never a wide player. 

But that bit of urgency didn't really last long, it was less than a false dawn.

Writing about the game here, as there's an argument taking place on the match thread about which club is less sectarian between the two cheeks.

Our form recently has been a bit worrying, the one game we have won recently was a touch fortunate and we seem to have slightly lost our mojo. Next week is huge, as we need to arrest the slide asap. This is where we find out how good a manager Tam Courts actually is.

Worryingly poor performances we're dishing out just now. Bit of a test for TC now. Livingston at home a good opportunity to A) get three points and B) put in a decent shift 

Today was abysmal. I'm not convinced we were even trying. Butcher taking a bit of heat on here, but I was glad of his introduction - He's not a great player, but in that first half we barely have gave away a foul, far less a yellow card, such was the way were standing by admiring Celtic. The pundits on the radio on the drive home suggesting that Butcher's foul should have been a red. Even if it was, at least he gets stuck in. Something you could not say about anyone else on that pitch today.

I thought lessons about Appere and being out wide had learned, but seemingly not.

What's happened to the lost cause chasing, tireless running Niskanen?

And I'm growing ever more suspicious of the injuries we pick up at training. We seem to suffer an awful lot. Might just be bad luck, but it's happening just too often.

Why did Watson, who impressed on Tuesday, get less game time today than v Motherwell?

Onto next week though where if we don't get three points, and with the fixtures at the back of it, TC will really begin to come under pressure. I wasn't against his appointment, and am more than willing to give him his chance, but I, and I'd imagine most Utd fans, won't blindly get behind him regardless of how much we want him to succeed.

15 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Worryingly poor performances we're dishing out just now. Bit of a test for TC now. Livingston at home a good opportunity to A) get three points and B) put in a decent shift 

Today was abysmal. I'm not convinced we were even trying. Butcher taking a bit of heat on here, but I was glad of his introduction - He's not a great player, but in that first half we barely have gave away a foul, far less a yellow card, such was the way were standing by admiring Celtic. The pundits on the radio on the drive home suggesting that Butcher's foul should have been a red. Even if it was, at least he gets stuck in. Something you could not say about anyone else on that pitch today.

I thought lessons about Appere and being out wide had learned, but seemingly not.

What's happened to the lost cause chasing, tireless running Niskanen?

And I'm growing ever more suspicious of the injuries we pick up at training. We seem to suffer an awful lot. Might just be bad luck, but it's happening just too often.

Why did Watson, who impressed on Tuesday, get less game time today than v Motherwell?

Onto next week though where if we don't get three points, and with the fixtures at the back of it, TC will really begin to come under pressure. I wasn't against his appointment, and am more than willing to give him his chance, but I, and I'd imagine most Utd fans, won't blindly get behind him regardless of how much we want him to succeed.

I don't think he'll be under pressure as such if we don't win next week, there is still enough credit in the bank. Having said that, if this run carries on, it's only going to get worse. 

19 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

I don't think he'll be under pressure as such if we don't win next week, there is still enough credit in the bank. Having said that, if this run carries on, it's only going to get worse. 

I think it was yourself who said now we find out how good he is, and I'd agree with that.

But in terms of, as you say, "credit", given the reception his appointment got from a sizeable chunk of the Utd fanbase (that excludes me I hasten to add) he probably started off with a hefty debt.

(Not exactly related, but couldn't figure out how the match v Motherwell warranted a first half sub, but today's didn't - not even one at half time either.)

1 hour ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

4th in league and even if you lose again you will be 5th. Don't think seems to any cause of a worry about a few defeats just yet surely. 

Especially when more or less the majority of the support ( I may and probably get shot down for it ) had United to be fighting relegation with this appointment.

Absolute garbage today.

The annoying thing is we went to Parkhead played in their faces and got a great result. Today we stood off let them play and got everything we deserved.

Niskanen and Clarke have been garbage for at least 3 games but who do you bring in?

I'm nowhere near thinking the manager is under pressure but losing Fuchs and Siegriest doesn't bear thinking about..

Edited by invergowrie arab

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

Absolute garbage today.

The annoying thing is we went to Parkhead played in their faces and got a great result. Today we stood off let them play and got everything we deserved.

Niskanen and Clarke have been garbage for at least 3 games but who do you bring in?

I'm nowhere near thinking the manager is under pressure but losing Fuchs and Siegriest doesn't bear thinking about..

Oh my 

5 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Writing about the game here, as there's an argument taking place on the match thread about which club is less sectarian between the two cheeks.

It is pretty amazing that they do this time, after time, after time. It’s the stereotypical playground name calling carried out by supposed adults.

7 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Appere is not good enough, Clark is not good enough.  We need a striker, possibly two.

We’ve got two forwards out injured. You can’t just keep signing new players for every injury.

I’d give Appere a run of games up top rather than out wide. There’s a player there, maybe.

Edited by ArabFC

8 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

We’ve got two forwards out injured. You can’t just keep signing new players for every injury.

I’d give Appere a run of games up top rather than out wide. There’s a player there, maybe.

There’s a player in there but not at the level we need.  

10 hours ago, kingjoey said:

It is pretty amazing that they do this time, after time, after time. It’s the stereotypical playground name calling carried out by supposed adults.

Your first post on our match thread when we played each other a few weeks back…

On 27/11/2021 at 19:03, kingjoey said:

Wonder what the guys and gals in the IRA jackets will be protesting about this week? A couple of suggestions from me are the price of petrol, or the scarcity of green beans at my local Tesco. Or if they want to stick to football, “We Are All Ojo.”