The Dundee United Thread 22/23

22 hours ago, Tap in 94 said:

Wouldn't be leaving both Pawlett and Niskannen out in the same game 

Easy to say, now, but that was an extremely bold move from Courts (as was resting Fuchs on Wednesday night...) - Pawlett is arguably our second most improved player this season (behind the completely unrecognisable Ian Harkes) and Niskanen brings a lot of energy and width to the attack.  They were our best two players after they came on, so hopefully they're starting at Tynecastle.

12 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

We badly need a striker.

This is very true.

That said, Nicky Clark does do a great job with his limited ability, and was unlucky not to score yesterday - but if we are pushing to seriously challenge within the top six then we need a lot better competition for him than Louis Appere and (from the looks of things) Maxime Biamou.    

10 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Immi Niskanen looked to have an injury at full time toady...

Pleased God, not Immi!

8 hours ago, Steven W said:

Deserved a point today but for some heroics from Zander Clark.

Credit where credit is due, that was the single best performance I've seen anyone have at Tannadice since Shankland scored 4 on his debut.  We could still be playing now and Clark wouldn't have conceded - a disappointing result, but we actually played quite well for long spells and were just kept out by one man's brilliance.

9 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Not that I'm blaming you but how does he do that sitting on the bench?

I wish it were otherwise but Appere is nowhere near the quality needed for this league 

I reckon if Courts hadn’t had to make the subs he did then Biamou would have got game time, either as a replacement for Clark or up beside him.  That’s just speculation on my part but I think it’s highly likely he would have got 20 or 30 minutes.  The ‘contributions’ of Appere and Chalmers knocked that on the head.

As it is I think Courts got the subs spot on and I’m glad he didn’t wait any longer than half time for the first two.

8 hours ago, PartyFears2 said:

it’s who you know.. 

I think what is being questioned isn't your connections, but the sense in putting the team line up out for all to see the day before a game.

As it was, St Johnstone targeted Kerr Smith from the outset, and perhaps the information was helpful for the opposition's planning.

1 hour ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

I think what is being questioned isn't your connections, but the sense in putting the team line up out for all to see the day before a game.

As it was, St Johnstone targeted Kerr Smith from the outset, and perhaps the information was helpful for the opposition's planning.

100% agree here. 

2 hours ago, Robin.Hood said:

Good news 

Screenshot_20211102-182234_Twitter.jpg

Harkes going wouldnt massively bother me. Been very decent recently and it could be hes finally screwed the nut or its end of contract time. 

Fuchs and Benji are most likely off. Id be amazed if either are here next season. Id half expect the club to try cashing in on one of them in January. 

4 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Harkes going wouldnt massively bother me. Been very decent recently and it could be hes finally screwed the nut or its end of contract time. 

Fuchs and Benji are most likely off. Id be amazed if either are here next season. Id half expect the club to try cashing in on one of them in January. 

I just think the system actually works for him now. He can now bomb forward without worrying about leaving a massive gap in the midfield cos there's other players covering. I reckon he'll stay if nothing else cos he's settled in the city living with his missus who also plays for a team.

4 hours ago, Accent-Unknown said:

I just think the system actually works for him now. He can now bomb forward without worrying about leaving a massive gap in the midfield cos there's other players covering. I reckon he'll stay if nothing else cos he's settled in the city living with his missus who also plays for a team.

Hopefully thats the case and its not that hes upped his game for a new deal.

In fairness to him its fucking mental he was deployed as a defensive / sitting midfielder for so fucking long by two experienced managers.

7 hours ago, Accent-Unknown said:

AFAIK Harkes has a massive emotional attachment to the club and I think he's pretty happy here. 

You never know with big Benji and Fuchs, Siegrist especially strikes me as the kind of guy who would take another year to help raise his value for the club. Would guess that he might be offered a bigger signing on fee etc that way. 

3 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

AFAIK Harkes has a massive emotional attachment to the club and I think he's pretty happy here. 

You never know with big Benji and Fuchs, Siegrist especially strikes me as the kind of guy who would take another year to help raise his value for the club. Would guess that he might be offered a bigger signing on fee etc that way. 

I think there is zero chance of either Fuchs or Benji being here after this season; I’ll be happy if they’re both here after Christmas.

@Accent-Unknown makes an excellent point regarding Harkes, maybe that’s why we’ve seen such a massive turnaround, and on his performance this season I’d be happy to see him sign an extension to his contract.

I’m glad I wasn’t one of those who questioned Courts appointment.  :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was pleased to see Courts go on the offensive yesterday by bringing on Biamou to play up beside Clark, but he offered nothing and as a duo they offered nothing.  It was also a pity that Glass had to be sacrificed to accommodate the change despite it being the obvious choice.

I’m not going to be too critical of Biamou given his limited game time but we really need a goal scorer now, not several weeks down the road when he’s match fit and (hopefully) contributing.

Our biggest weakness yesterday was our defence but equally if we had more of a goal threat it could have been tighter.

All that said, we’re 13 games in and after back-to-back defeats we’re still 4th.  Onwards and, hopefully, upwards.

PTBAA.

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I was pleased to see Courts go on the offensive yesterday by bringing on Biamou to play up beside Clark, but he offered nothing and as a duo they offered nothing.  It was also a pity that Glass had to be sacrificed to accommodate the change despite it being the obvious choice.

I’m not going to be too critical of Biamou given his limited game time but we really need a goal scorer now, not several weeks down the road when he’s match fit and (hopefully) contributing.

Our biggest weakness yesterday was our defence but equally if we had more of a goal threat it could have been tighter.

All that said, we’re 13 games in and after back-to-back defeats we’re still 4th.  Onwards and, hopefully, upwards.

PTBAA.

I thought we would have been better sticking with it after we scored the second, maybe give it ten minutes or so and then bring on Biamou. But guessing he was already stripped to come on? We didn’t quite get the shift in momentum you usually get when you score, with the players adjusting to a different formation. Defence looked even more exposed with one less in midfield. Hindsight of course.

Problem we seem to have is our strikers are all very similar. Could do with someone with a bit more physicality who can hold up the ball better and let Nisksanen and Pawlett get further up the park. 

9 hours ago, PartyFears2 said:

This international break comes at a good time for us, I suppose. 

arrest this mini-slump, get Mulgrew over this knock, a bounce game for the likes of Glass, Butcher, Biamou & Butcher would also help 

Butcher is working double time to get fit see. Showing a good attitude to the young lads.