The Dundee United Thread 22/23

That whole period under Mixu was just a nonsense. Far too many guys brought in at the same time from all over the world and just thrown together into a struggling team and a manager rapidly losing his way. It's entirely possible that there were some good players in there who just never got a chance to settle in and were then discarded as quickly as they arrived.

10 hours ago, PartyFears2 said:

“4 changes tomorrow . Kerr Smith , Fuchs , Appere , Chalmers all start . Freeman , Glass , Pawlett and Niskannen out”

Happy to see Chalmers starting but worried about four changes; the team seem to be getting a balance and rhythm about them and that number of changes could be disruptive.

I can understand Niskannen getting rested but he brings an urgency to the side that few others in the squad have.

It’s difficult to criticise Courts given how well he’s done up until now but I felt there was no plan on Wednesday to take advantage of Livi playing half the game with 10 men.  Hopefully pressing more urgently when we need to/have an advantage is something he will work on.

1 hour ago, Tap in 94 said:

Wouldn't be leaving both Pawlett and Niskannen out in the same game 

Agree. But I (and alot of people) also wouldn't have hired an untested tactical analyst that fires buzz words and business bullshit phrases about like confetti but here we are, joint best of the rest after 11 games, having won 6 under said bloke.

Seems to know what he's doing so far so I'm all for seeing what the team hes picked can do.

8 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Agree. But I (and alot of people) also wouldn't have hired an untested tactical analyst that fires buzz words and business bullshit phrases about like confetti but here we are, joint best of the rest after 11 games, having won 6 under said bloke.

Seems to know what he's doing so far so I'm all for seeing what the team hes picked can do.

Rotating the players is obviously something he likes to do. It's working so far...

7 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

^^^ Absolute fud. Get the clown sacked, Tony.

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Too many changes and too many poor performances in the first half.

As I said on the match thread today’s result was disappointing given what happened elsewhere in the league.

We badly need a striker.

What's the deal with the free agent you signed?

You lot look a completely different side to last season, maybe a lack of depth will stop a sustained challenge for 3rd but top 6 should be the minimum target.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

What's the deal with the free agent you signed?

You lot look a completely different side to last season, maybe a lack of depth will stop a sustained challenge for 3rd but top 6 should be the minimum target.

Think he’s still getting match fit.

Immi Niskanen looked to have an injury at full time toady, and I'm wondering if he was carrying a problem, having been substituted in midweek and on the bench today.

That final minute or so of today's game was very peculiar, the referee stopping the game as we were on the edge of the box for a drop ball, then the whistle for full time, a bit earlier than the three added minutes it seemed, when players were battling for the ball in the box. Perhaps Niskanen got a knock at that point. 

23 hours ago, PartyFears2 said:

“4 changes tomorrow . Kerr Smith , Fuchs , Appere , Chalmers all start . Freeman , Glass , Pawlett and Niskannen out”

How on earth was this in the public domain so long before kickoff? Bit off to say the least.

On to a Saturday night ramble......

Deserved a point today but for some heroics from Zander Clark.

I could see what TC was trying to do today with the selection, but it backfired and we only played for one half of the match because of it. I was a bit disappointed he waited until minute 45 to make a change (not necessarily a substitution) as it was painfully obvious it wasn't working very early on in the game.

What to do with Appere? I think he's of ideal stature for the lone striker role. Today may actually have helped that cause, because today should be his last stuck out on the wing. Nicky Clark is working very hard as the striker, but it's just not happening. Maybe Appere would benefit from going on loan  again so long as he played as a striker (a LOAN striker??) whilst away.

The team that finished today needs to start at Tynecastle, although that said, I'd be tempted to put Biamou in for Clark

Edited by Steven W

One thing annoyed me today.  We’re 1-0 down and two minutes into three minutes of injury time we get a corner.  Why not send up Benji?

He came up to the half way line and was looking over to the dug out as if he were waiting on the nod.

7 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

One thing annoyed me today.  We’re 1-0 down and two minutes into three minutes of injury time we get a corner.  Why not send up Benji?

He came up to the half way line and was looking over to the dug out as if he were waiting on the nod.

Agreed.

I'd add Edwards could have been told to go up front for the final few minutes

I'm not sure about Appere. He was getting wired in and forcing defenders into mistakes, and in theory that, and his physicality, should be more effective if he is playing through the middle. He played there alongside Shankland and did well before, albeit in the Championship, I'd say it is worth a go at least a few games coming off the bench.

That aside, there isn't much to say about today that hasn't already been said. Too many changes, took too long to gain a foothold in the game first half and even then offered little in attack. Second half obviously a massive improvement, just came up against a keeper having the game of his life. Frustrating we used up our subs so early on and couldn't bring on Biamou.