The Dundee United Thread 22/23

On 28/10/2021 at 12:15, Granny Danger said:

D12D886E-3C60-4597-AE2E-D361FDC19D97.jpeg.6ad339664fb85489fca580f545d5200b.jpeg
25 years ago this week this lad played for United for the first time.  Definitely one of my favourite players of the modern era.

There was something about his enthusiasm and love of the game that was contagious and it’s no surprise that he became a favourite amongst the Arab hoards.

I recall one game against Rangers (remember them?) when he had Laudrup in his hipper for the whole 90+ minutes; it was a delight to watch.

Tried to find YouTube footage of him playing but really only a cameo in this game where he contributed to a memorable meltdown by Dean Windass who picked up 3 red cards.  (Nice wee bit about 3.30).

Enjoy.

didn't include the Windass challenge. And McLaren threading the ball through an eye of a needle for the third 😄

13 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Well Freeman certainly didn't have the best timing having an off day against Livi with Smith back in training. 

I'd like to think Tam Courts can recall an even worse display by Liam Smith when he had that one game in charge last season. Freeman has to be kept in, maybe his reticence on Wednesday was a product of the pitch and weather, coupled with a fear of injury, given he's begun to establish himself as a first team starter, following two torn ACL injuries in the same leg plus a ripped meniscus.

On another matter, it appears the Hearts away tickets sold out exceptionally fast this morning, but I note that on Hearts site many (home) tickets are still available, some priced £8 lower than away fans have to pay. £8 would perhaps pay for that extra pint in Edinburgh

57 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

I'd like to think Tam Courts can recall an even worse display by Liam Smith when he had that one game in charge last season. Freeman has to be kept in, maybe his reticence on Wednesday was a product of the pitch and weather, coupled with a fear of injury, given he's begun to establish himself as a first team starter, following two torn ACL injuries in the same leg plus a ripped meniscus.

On another matter, it appears the Hearts away tickets sold out exceptionally fast this morning, but I note that on Hearts site many (home) tickets are still available, some priced £8 lower than away fans have to pay. £8 would perhaps pay for that extra pint in Edinburgh

But not for the nit treatment afterwards.

2 hours ago, East Coast Warrior said:

Is the Deloitte Report getting ideas from  Motherwell and their celebrated array of curries?

Is global cuisine the future for SPFL fan expansion*?

(*waistlines rather than attendances, obviously)

I could believe it - there's a churros stall at Tannadice this weekend!

2 hours ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

I fucking love churros

This is presumably just a precursor to a major Spanish signing in January.

Just now, Mark Connolly said:

That Pedri lad could probably do with some decent game time at a higher level than his current side plays.

I’d take Riqui Puig ahead of him but maybe Koeman’s successor will have the sense to give him game time.

On 28/10/2021 at 12:15, Granny Danger said:

D12D886E-3C60-4597-AE2E-D361FDC19D97.jpeg.6ad339664fb85489fca580f545d5200b.jpeg
25 years ago this week this lad played for United for the first time.  Definitely one of my favourite players of the modern era.

There was something about his enthusiasm and love of the game that was contagious and it’s no surprise that he became a favourite amongst the Arab hoards.

I recall one game against Rangers (remember them?) when he had Laudrup in his hipper for the whole 90+ minutes; it was a delight to watch.

Tried to find YouTube footage of him playing but really only a cameo in this game where he contributed to a memorable meltdown by Dean Windass who picked up 3 red cards.  (Nice wee bit about 3.30).

Enjoy.

That Viking invasion was superb.

Peds was immense, as was Lars.

Kjell was unplayable at times. An absolute monster of a man with tree trunks for thighs. 

1 hour ago, mishtergrolsch said:

That Viking invasion was superb.

Peds was immense, as was Lars.

Kjell was unplayable at times. An absolute monster of a man with tree trunks for thighs. 

That was the second Viking invasion.  The first one was pretty special too.

17 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

That was the second Viking invasion.  The first one was pretty special too.

Unfortunately I'm too young to have seen the first.

Hopefully, with Niskanen we're all about to witness another tremendous Scandinavian invasion, even if it's a one man army.

25 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Unfortunately I'm too young to have seen the first.

Hopefully, with Niskanen we're all about to witness another tremendous Scandinavian invasion, even if it's a one man army.

Let's not get carried away, we've been hurt before

Spoiler

NINTCHDBPICT000208262278-e1547045927407.

5 minutes ago, Gibby82 said:

I’m genuinely struggling to work out who that is which tells its own story.

R*ku R*ski. I was actually surprised by the picture too, I had no idea what he looked like.

On the plus side, the article that photo is from is about him refusing to play for Finland on a trip to Qatar, so he's a decent human even if he was utter shite.

Edited by Mark Connolly

9 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

R*ku R*ski. I was actually surprised by the picture too, I had no idea what he looked like.

On the plus side, the article that photo is from is about him refusing to play for Finland on a trip to Qatar, so he's a decent human even if he was utter shite.

Puts him well up in my estimation.

22 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Oh aye, jeez. Had it in my head he was with us during the Fundesliga years but of course he was Mixu’s great white hope.

As good as Pedersen, Oloffson and Zetterlund were the ones that followed were almost comically shite. Marklund, Anderson, Wirmola, Tengsted. I’ll give Skoldmark a pass for effort and a goal against Dundee. Siggi would have perhaps been the best of all of them had his knees not been reconstructed with weetabix. 

Edited by Gibby82

26 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

On the plus side, the article that photo is from is about him refusing to play for Finland on a trip to Qatar, so he's a decent human

Unfair to judge Riku Riski on the time he had at Tannadice, he had a decent career before and after he was in Scotland and as stated above he has sound ethics.

Oh and @Granny Danger, surely you remember the first Scandinavian Invasion, during WW2 (Karlsen and Sveinsen)?                                            🙄🙂

11 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Unfair to judge Riku Riski on the time he had at Tannadice, he had a decent career before and after he was in Scotland and as stated above he has sound ethics.

Oh and @Granny Danger, surely you remember the first Scandinavian Invasion, during WW2 (Karlsen and Sveinsen)?                                            🙄🙂

I’m sure I saw him (and his brother?) scoring for a Finnish team on the Europa League highlights show a couple of weeks ago.