The Dundee United Thread 22/23

Put this in the match thread by mistake 🤦‍♂️

Totally loving the buzz around the club. Bairn was supposed to be ballgirl today but her and the other lassies from the academy are next week but they got to stay and watch the match 🤣

Fantastic seeing all the optimistic faces going in today and the crowd buzzing coming out. 

Solid partnership at the back with able deputies across the back line. 

Midfield on form and I think with the squad we've got even if one or two drops off form or injured they can replace them and it's not a massive drop in quality. 

I think up front is going to be an issue for us until Biamou is up to speed and McNulty comes back from injury (I'm not certain he'll make much impact this season now though). Definitely an area that needs strengthened, hmm wonder if we can get someone back on loan in January 👀🤔. Although Louis came on today and done alright putting himself about. 

We're 3rd just now and obviously I'd like us to stay there but if we finish the season top 6 and sniffing about European places I'll be ecstatic.

Surprised at the negativity towards their own side from Motherwell fans in the match thread. I thought Motherwell were very decent and it was a tough three points for us.

There's not a huge amount to be said about the game really, but a couple of points of interest;

Appere coming on when we probably all thought Biamou would was interesting. Courts seems to like to introduce new players to the team 'slowly' (to excellent effect) so I presume that's what happening here. Furthermore great to see Appere finally get ten minutes in the role that he should be playing. Again great to see.

Am I right in thinking McGinley was already on a booking when he handled the ball (which he inexplicably wasn't yellow carded for)?

I've long advocated the virtues of one striker (and in a Dundee United perspective, putting me, as far as I can tell, in something of a minority). Great that Courts would seem to have ended United fans' moans of "We're only playing with one up front!!!!". If you play the right way (as we are), playing with one striker is perfectly fine and allows us to bolster the midfield.

All round, good times at Tannadice (How's that #AshgarOut hashtag getting on?)

19 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Great that Courts would seem to have ended United fans' moans of "We're only playing with one up front!!!!". If you play the right way (as we are), playing with one striker is perfectly fine and allows us to bolster the midfield.

With Mulgrew and Edwards we can probably just do away with strikers!

The big problem under Mellon, and others before him, was that we were playing with one striker with no support.  It was frustrating seeing Shankland or Clark playing that role and not having another player within 15 yards of him.

I think our formation is more a genuine 4-3-3 with even the midfield three have licence to go forward.

1 hour ago, Steven W said:

I've long advocated the virtues of one striker (and in a Dundee United perspective, putting me, as far as I can tell, in something of a minority). Great that Courts would seem to have ended United fans' moans of "We're only playing with one up front!!!!". If you play the right way (as we are), playing with one striker is perfectly fine and allows us to bolster the midfield.

If done the right way and not having the player up front completely isolated with the midfield almost as far away as possible.

Although Niskanen was signed as a winger which he does play, he's almost like the second striker. He appears through the middle so often supporting and with his pace the one to go after the balls over the top. Then honourable mentions must also go to Pawlett especially and at times Harkes. As you say playing it the "right way".

There are one or two times you see something happen on the pitch that you think "if we had the traditional 2 up top we'd have got something there", but its no where near as often as previously. Also who would you leave out?

We're playing well, just working on making sure we keep it going for 90 minutes, but its coming and long may it continue.

24 minutes ago, Sash83 said:

RIP Wattie, played for us and was a coach under jim

Had a big role for in for United player development in his two spells as a player himself as the record reserve appearance holder for the club, then as wee Jim's assistant. Even had a short time as director of the club before he was poached to Ibrox. To be fair to Walter, he was going to a bigger wage, closer to home, and to a club he'd supported as a boy.

Hope he's at peace after a long struggle with serious illness.

Walter.jpg.99a5a0a03073a92d37632a177b9cdc01.jpg

Wee Jim's sales pitch to persuade Wattie to move into coaching: 

"At some stage in your career you’ve got to face up to the fact of how good you are. And let’s face it Walter, you’re shite. But I think you’ve got a real talent as a coach, so would you be my coach?"

Integral part of our greatest era. Played in our first cup final and was McLean's right hand man during the glory years. RIP

D12D886E-3C60-4597-AE2E-D361FDC19D97.jpeg.6ad339664fb85489fca580f545d5200b.jpeg
25 years ago this week this lad played for United for the first time.  Definitely one of my favourite players of the modern era.

There was something about his enthusiasm and love of the game that was contagious and it’s no surprise that he became a favourite amongst the Arab hoards.

I recall one game against Rangers (remember them?) when he had Laudrup in his hipper for the whole 90+ minutes; it was a delight to watch.

Tried to find YouTube footage of him playing but really only a cameo in this game where he contributed to a memorable meltdown by Dean Windass who picked up 3 red cards.  (Nice wee bit about 3.30).

Enjoy.

Is the Deloitte Report getting ideas from  Motherwell and their celebrated array of curries?

Is global cuisine the future for SPFL fan expansion*?

(*waistlines rather than attendances, obviously)

I could believe it - there's a churros stall at Tannadice this weekend!

Edited by East Coast Warrior