The Dundee United Thread 22/23

1 hour ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

Tam Courts has certainly exceeded expectations. Many folk thought he'd be sacked by now. To be in 5th place given the fixtures we had and the weaknesses in the squad is excellent, it really is.

See what, I'm a moany c**t and did a fair bit of whinging at his appointment. 

I'm delighted to say hes currently shutting my pus (and many others tbf) and the more he does it the better.

*I still reserve the right to gloat if it goes tits up

5 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

See what, I'm a moany c**t and did a fair bit of whinging at his appointment. 

I'm delighted to say hes currently shutting my pus (and many others tbf) and the more he does it the better.

*I still reserve the right to gloat if it goes tits up

I like to think he's doing it as a GIRFUY to all of us, and for that reason, I will continue to complain as it clearly inspires him

1 minute ago, kingjoey said:

I think that’s what’s called getting ahead of yourselves. We did that a few weeks ago and it hasn’t ended well.

You’ve got to (screen) grab it while you can.

As Humphrey Bogart said to Ingrid Bergman “we’ll always have a draw at Celtic Park”.

7 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I like to think he's doing it as a GIRFUY to all of us, and for that reason, I will continue to complain as it clearly inspires him

Him and fat Tony definitely read P&B and have responded to our criticisms.  He definitely doesn’t like you as a poster by all accounts!

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

He can personally berate me at my work place if it means we're not losing at Celtic Park and keep pumping Championship fodder like the Fun on the regular.

Like you I'm still happy to provide inspiration for him.

I was inconclusive over the value of appointing Courts, mainly as most managerial appointments finish in disappointment anyway, but I wasn't outraged like many fans appeared to be. 

And I wasn't unhappy at Mellon's work last year either, but Tam appears to have the players producing more entertaining fare with a similar group. Early days, and it could all fall apart, as that's why most appointments fail, but the first seven fixtures as a collection looked daunting on the 1st of August.

Yet here we are in 5th place.

I think it's really encouraging that despite the large fan backlash in anticipation of, and then to Courts' appointment, the squad seem really committed under his management/Head Coaching. I really had the fear after the Aberdeen game, and there's been games where our attacking play has been fairly dire.

That said, we've won a derby, beaten the champions offbyhe back of a full league campaign unbeaten, and we sold two long term first team players in the last transfer window. Yes, we went out of the cup mid-week (deservedly imo). But the 2nd half performance was fantastic and perhaps with the right refereeing decisions we might have salvaged something. Ultimately, it was so refreshing to see us really chase a lost cause rather than just have an arse collapse (see the 5-1 to St. Mirren last season in contrast.)

Fair play to Courts, it's been a really positive start. Long may it continue.

Also, good on Ian Harkes. I'll need more than goals in consecutive league games to change my mind about his value in the long term. But he seems like a nice guy who has taken a lot of criticism over the last couple of years and kept plugging away anyway. Good on him, hope he keeps going.

7 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Talkative Tam is certainly shutting pusses at the moment tbf to him.

What have his signings been like? Has he signed anyone apart from McNulty!? (does he even get credit for that signing?)

Just trying to cling onto the fact that Mellon solidified you with his additions to Neilson's squad with Edwards and Fuchs to say that Courts will still be pish in future.

Given that Courts won't be in charge of recruitment I don't really think who was signed under him is relevant criticism or praise.

Same for Mellon aswell by the way, He (allegedly) didn't want to sign Fuchs cos he wanted to focus on British players. fucking idiot. 

10 hours ago, captainkev said:

Also, good on Ian Harkes. I'll need more than goals in consecutive league games to change my mind about his value in the long term. But he seems like a nice guy who has taken a lot of criticism over the last couple of years and kept plugging away anyway. Good on him, hope he keeps going.

Yup. Still not convinced, but little doubt he's been playing much better and fair fucks - that wasn't an easy finish.

6 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

A man crossed to another man to head a goal from open play 

They were talked of in tomes of old. I remember my grandfather telling stories of such things. I used to think they were products of his dementia but now I'm a true believer!

20 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

I was inconclusive over the value of appointing Courts, mainly as most managerial appointments finish in disappointment anyway, but I wasn't outraged like many fans appeared to be. 

And I wasn't unhappy at Mellon's work last year either, but Tam appears to have the players producing more entertaining fare with a similar group. Early days, and it could all fall apart, as that's why most appointments fail, but the first seven fixtures as a collection looked daunting on the 1st of August.

Yet here we are in 5th place.

Absolute 100% fair fucks to Tam Courts. 

Like many Arabs, I had real concerns at his appointment and was worried that he may well just be a post Covid cheap option.

The Aberdeen QF aside, I have watched United play more decent football in the first few games of this season that I reckon I saw in all of last, and we are getting results as well.

We rode our luck yesterday, but with a bit better composure, and decision making in the last few minutes, or if Clancy had decided to grow a pair and award us the penalty we were due, we could have well won that game.

That being said, to have a genuine belief from both sets of supporters that a draw was fair yesterday, sums up the difference between last season and this, where we barely laid a glove on the Gruesone Twosome in Glasgow. We played some genuinely superb football yesterday as well as in in the second half against Hibs, but as has been said before, like Scotland, we just need a finisher.

You can’t fluke the results like we have against both The Rangers and Celtic. Our players have limited ability but are being drilled and set up in a way, not just try not to lose (like last season), but to have a fucking go as well, and that has turned into 11 points for 7 games so far, having only lost to Aberdeen away and Herats at home which is no real disgrace.

It is a long season, and many twists and turns to come, but so far TC has my backing, and anyone who says he is out of his depth, hasn’t being watching United matches this season.

As MG said above, the difference in the likes of Harkes and Pawlett (who is currently our top scorer and who should actually be in 5 for the season so far), is fucking staggering, but also Edwards has been a colossus and on his own saved us 2 points last week against The Fun and a point yesterday with a ridiculous goal line clearance, which really hasn’t been given the recognition it deserves.

Anyway, having said all of this, cue an insipid 0-2 pumping from County on Saturday.

P2BAA