The Dundee United Thread 22/23

8 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

Wonder how we are going to fare without McNulty banging the goals in for us every week 🤔

Oh wait. 

Shame for him as obviously he works hard enough but works too hard for the ball carrying it rather than scoring. 

The issue will be that - even when hes not scoring - McNulty very good at holding the ball up, and is (imo) a good link up for other forward players.

It was clear last night when he went off (allied to the bizarre subbing of Fuchs and Pawlett) and you didnt have much on offer up front.

Last night again showed up my big frustration with United over the last wee while. I don't know if it's a fault of "modern coaching" but it's something we've done for ages and various managers, but we got away with it in the Championship.

My issue is the constant slowing down of play. You watch other teams break up the park, with pace as a team, which stops us getting getting set up in defence leaving gaps for the attackers to play in. We, in the otherhand, pass between CH, goalie, full back, CH again then which means one of two things happen...

Defenders and goalkeeper are closed down so the ball gets punted, usually with us facing another attack.

Or...

The opposition get time to all get back in position closing off all space. 

The amount of times we pass the ball side to side, pass ot forward to someone who immediately passes it backwards without any awareness of the fact there is no opposition player near them & they can turn and move forward is incredible.

I know there are timmes.you need to slow the ball down, but vary the pace, its too predictable.

The other thing is this constant need to overplay everything! When we do get up the park in dangerous positions our attacks all break down by the time we reach between 25 yards out and the edge of the box. Its the trying to pass it through 2 defenders, the 1-2s, the back heels. Everyone seems scared to have a shot. I know wasting chances is frustrating, but this desire to score a "perfect" goal, passing it into the net, set up by some over complicated "tippy-tappy" football is a major hinderence to our success.

Take Scott Allan's goal last night. If that was us then your looking at the ball being passed outside the box, passed to the left back, passed back to midfield, across the box and then out to right back, before some 1-2 is attempted and the ball cleared by a defender.

What makes all that even more frustrating is on the occasions we don't play like that we look OK.

33 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

The issue will be that - even when hes not scoring - McNulty very good at holding the ball up, and is (imo) a good link up for other forward players.

It was clear last night when he went off (allied to the bizarre subbing of Fuchs and Pawlett) and you didnt have much on offer up front.

I think he had to take Fuchs off, he had taken a number of knocks, including a nasty looking twist of his knee after a challenge (which was perfectly fair btw) where I was amazed he stayed on. As much as we might have got back into the game last night, taking him off was probably the right decision in the longer term.

53 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I think he had to take Fuchs off, he had taken a number of knocks, including a nasty looking twist of his knee after a challenge (which was perfectly fair btw) where I was amazed he stayed on. As much as we might have got back into the game last night, taking him off was probably the right decision in the longer term.

Same with Pawlett. Both are too important to the first team to risk in a cup competition that realistically by that time we weren't going to win. Better to take them off than lose them for a few weeks with injury.

I sort of see what Courts is doing.

I'd prefer we play like Hibs and attack at pace and get ball fired in from wide areas to moving players but we don't have the players to do it.

In the absence of those type of players you see teams bang it about quickly from side to side around the box until chances open up eg Croatia v Scotland. You need midfielders capable of a killer pass or a 20 yard on target shot though.

Thought Leavit was excellent last night, and may God forgive me, it allowed Harkes to have a good game too. 

I'm not depressed and would have been interested to see how it went if the keeper hasn't flapped at a near post shot after 2 minutes 

If McNulty is going to be out for a while, I would like to see Appere get a chance as a striker, which I think is his preferred position (but its been that long since he played there I'm no longer sure), rather than punted out on the wing. I know its several leagues below, but didn't he score a barrel load whilst on loan at Dundee North End?

Edited by Steven W

Same with Pawlett. Both are too important to the first team to risk in a cup competition that realistically by that time we weren't going to win. Better to take them off than lose them for a few weeks with injury.
Yeah, that's fair. I think it was probably better to take them both off for future games. It was pretty apparent after the Pawlett goal was disallowed that it wasn't going to be our night