The Dundee United Thread 22/23

12 minutes ago, MacArab said:

£30 quid is pretty fucking steep tbf, although perhaps it is a slightly misguided attempt to try to help the club’s finances recover from the impact of Covid from last year, whilst completely ignoring the impact that it might have had on the finances of much of the fan base.

I reckon that the club are just assuming that this will be a sellout thus just trying to maximise revenue,  whilst in reality, I agree that we are unlikely to fill Tannadice with prices like that, Derby or no, with it being on the telly, and certainly an element of protest from supporters of both sides.

12000 x £30 = £360000

14,000 x £26 = £36400O

Obviously neither calculation takes concessions into account, but I reckon nobody would bat an eyelid At £26 and we would sell out the place which is what we all want.

Your figures don’t take account of season ticket holders and even at £26 I don’t think we would get 14,000 total fans.  Plus not all PATG fans will be adults.

That said your point still stands that we might get more revenue from lower prices.

Edited by Granny Danger

49 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Your figures don’t take account of season ticket holders and even at £26 I don’t think we would get 14,000 total fans.  Plus not all PATG fans will be adults.

That said your point still stands that we might get more revenue from lower prices.

Fair shout.

Outrageous prices for the Dundee game. It’s an absolute scandal, and as pointed out on Twitter last night it even goes against United’s own Supporters Charter which talks about fair pricing and a section which mentions affordable tickets at a range of between £10 and £25.

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

As much as I don't like the prices, this notion which is continually trotted out is somewhat disproved by football prices rocketing year after year and the fans remaining to stump up the money.

Football fans are suckers and while United might take a slight hit from getting some fans choosing not to go this time, they've set the precedent now and that price isn't coming down in the future and fans soon get over their hump.

55 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

Outrageous prices for the Dundee game. It’s an absolute scandal, and as pointed out on Twitter last night it even goes against United’s own Supporters Charter which talks about fair pricing and a section which mentions affordable tickets at a range of between £10 and £25.

It's too much - especially considering the standard on show. 

6 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

As much as I don't like the prices, this notion which is continually trotted out is somewhat disproved by football prices rocketing year after year and the fans remaining to stump up the money.

Football fans are suckers and while United might take a slight hit from getting some fans choosing not to go this time, they've set the precedent now and that price isn't coming down in the future and fans soon get over their hump.

I don’t buy the “football fans are suckers” line, and I think things are far more complicated than most of us will admit.

Clubs in our league have taken a bath over Covid, and even before Covid the majority were in a very precarious financial situation.  Clubs like United will never be profitable in the medium to long term, the best we can hope for is to break even and/or have the support of a rich person who is dedicated (daft) enough to sink their money into the club,

I really do not see that situation changing in the foreseeable future.

Going back to the fans, people will decide on attending games or buying a ST based on their resources and commitment.  On a one off game I really doubt that £6 will be the determining factor, particularly for a derby.  I agree with you that once we have crossed the pricing Rubicon there’s little likelihood of going back.

I sympathise with folk who cannot afford to go to games, for the first 20 or so years of my married life that was a reality for me as I was in poorly paid jobs bringing up a family and taking my kids to a football match was a ‘luxury’.  But people who choose to follow their team for whatever reason are not “suckers” rather they are folk who accept the reality and chose to spend or not spend their cash dependent upon other demands or requirements.

As written yesterday, there are several reasons for £30 being a thoughtless price for the Tannadice derby.

But for balance, 6 years ago the price charged by both clubs in these matches was £25: inflation would make that £28.43 today. 

Looking back at old tickets from that ill fated season, Aberdeen away was £25, Motherwell £23, for comparison. That said, football was too dear then as well, prices seemed to take off in the mid-'eighties, as I recall away prices of £1.50 for adults in 1982-83 season, which would be around £5.20 today, which would be very, very cheap.

Edited by Dundee Hibernian

I recently had Mark Wilson on my podcast if anyone fancies giving it a listen it’d be much appreciated, spoke brilliantly about his time at the club. Unfortunately had some technical issues this week so it’s audio only and it’s picked up a slight echo on Marks audio so apologies for that. However, hope everyone enjoys 👍🏻

YouTube: 

Spotify: 

What's the odds on Butcher sending McMullan ten feet in the air the first time he touches the ball?  That's if Shaun Byrne doesn't flatten him first.  I can see this being a right feisty encounter.  I hope they've picked a referee who can handle the occasion. 

32 minutes ago, mev said:

What's the odds on Butcher sending McMullan ten feet in the air the first time he touches the ball?  That's if Shaun Byrne doesn't flatten him first.  I can see this being a right feisty encounter.  I hope they've picked a referee who can handle the occasion. 

Haha Shaun Byrne