The Dundee United Thread 22/23

I've said on here before that unlike the majority of United fans, Im not against us going with one striker. I think yesterday was a good example of that. Had we had Butcher on in place of either Clark or McNulty there's no way the midfield would have been as overrun as it was in that first half. Admittedly the big issue with this is I'm not sure Clark or McNulty are cut out for the lone striker role, although I do wonder if Apperre might, when fit, be good in that position.

In fairness to Courts he did make changes at the 55min mark which is a whole lot earlier than the previous incumbent ever did.

57 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

I'm wondering if that would be Robson's final game for United yesterday, given the manner in which he left the pitch, earlier than the other players at the end, applauding the fans then off. He'll be a bigger miss than some fans will concede if he is leaving.

AFAIK since the Rangers game he's been ready to leave. It's no secret Lincoln are in for him and talks are ongoing. Just hope we can quickly sign the laddy from Hamilton so we aren't left with Sporle/Duffy as I prefer Adrian further up the pitch. 

1 hour ago, skinny arab said:

Still awaiting a work permit for Niskanen while Celtic today are playing the Croatian boy they signed 2 days ago.

Why are we waiting weeks (St Johnstone also having the same issue) yet Celtic get clearance within days?

It's always been that way.

Remember when Jason Scotland got his application turned down because "he would not make a significant contribution to the Scottish game", despite the fact he had just scored the goal that put us into Europe?

The fact that he scored that goal against Hibs, it knocked them out, and there were 5 former Hibs players on the panel had no relevance, I'm sure...

Remember when Jason Scotland got his application turned down because "he would not make a significant contribution to the Scottish game", despite the fact he had just scored the goal that put us into Europe?
The fact that he scored that goal against Hibs, it knocked them out, and there were 5 former Hibs players on the panel had no relevance, I'm sure...
Murdo Macleod. c**t

1 minute ago, Sarto Mutiny said:
2 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Murdo Macleod. c**t

To be fair, he was a c**t long before that

8 hours ago, skinny arab said:

Still awaiting a work permit for Niskanen while Celtic today are playing the Croatian boy they signed 2 days ago.

Why are we waiting weeks (St Johnstone also having the same issue) yet Celtic get clearance within days?

Croatia are top 50 ranked nation in the fifa world ranking, and Juranovic has made a decent amount of appearances in the last few years so the application is basically instant. Finland are not a top 50 ranked nation so the work permit takes a while. Think United will get it eventually but It'll just take longer.

He'll be available for St Mirren... surely.

Edited by Accent-Unknown

15 hours ago, Accent-Unknown said:

Croatia are top 50 ranked nation in the fifa world ranking, and Juranovic has made a decent amount of appearances in the last few years so the application is basically instant. Finland are not a top 50 ranked nation so the work permit takes a while. Think United will get it eventually but It'll just take longer.

He'll be available for St Mirren... surely.

Appreciate the point about Croatia, but Israel ranked at 81 (Liel Abada has a solitary substitute appearance for his nation) and Zambia at 87 (Junior Sakala has been capped 13 times) didn't seem to prevent the issue of permits promptly.

Finland is ranked 56, Niskanen has 6 caps.

41 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Appreciate the point about Croatia, but Israel ranked at 81 (Liel Abada has a solitary substitute appearance for his nation) and Zambia at 87 (Junior Sakala has been capped 13 times) didn't seem to prevent the issue of permits promptly.

Finland is ranked 56, Niskanen has 6 caps.

The question is why are United not making these points rather them being made on a football forum?

Maybe they are. I'm hinting at preferential treatment for some clubs rather than others. Perhaps that is one of the factors in the Niskanen case.
I think St Johnstone have been waiting for a few weeks for a work permit for a Finnish player too

1 hour ago, Sarto Mutiny said:
2 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:
Maybe they are. I'm hinting at preferential treatment for some clubs rather than others. Perhaps that is one of the factors in the Niskanen case.

I think St Johnstone have been waiting for a few weeks for a work permit for a Finnish player too

True, but their target has no full international caps.

4 hours ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

A month now. No senior caps, last U21 cap just under a year ago.

Livingston had to wait about 3 months for a work permit last season too.

Edited by RandomGuy.

18 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Fair well young Jamie and thank you for your efforts. 

How many shillings did we get for him?

I hope we have someone lined up to come in ASAP. 

Robson was a very average left back who was poor going forward and bog standard defensively. Occasionally having an absolute nightmare and occasionally having a very good game, hes started well this season and I think a move will work well for him, he needs a fresh start.

Good luck Jamie, I hold absolutely no ill will towards you but at the same time I won't be greeting into my pillow tonight. Although its fair to say he always gave 100% and never really chucked it - I hope he does well.