The Dundee United Thread 22/23

Did he give you the squiggler?

In all honesty they werent as bad as I said but they just stood out at being very mediocre. Rankin I always felt was almost good but could never quite get to the next level.

Can't remember a lot of what Paton did but sure he did  a job for us. Just not a particularly good one.

9 hours ago, Junior_Arab said:

“Ranks and Pates” provided a solid base for the flair players to go and do their thing. They were reasonably effective on the park and I’ve seen Andy Robertson in several interviews before and after he won the CL sing Rankin’s praises in particular as being a great influence and role model off the pitch too. 

Reasonably effective was the best you could say about them. Paton had the easiest job in the world sitting behind that attacking talent.

Billy McKinlay is my favourite ever United central midfielder, but in my all time XI he wouldn't be able to displace the Jimmy-Prince combo.

8 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Rankin was decent. Paton was the weaker of the two and was a kiddy on hard man.

At their best, neither could lace the boots of Jimmy or Prince.

Always feel Scott Robertson gets overlooked when thinking back to that Cup winning squad.

Gomis/Buaben were a dream pairing for us, but Robertson was still a very, very good midfielder for us at that time. 

Rankin came across like he had a more professional attitude than most. You need someone like that in a squad to lead by example. Decent player too, as you say.

14 minutes ago, East Coast Warrior said:

Always feel Scott Robertson gets overlooked when thinking back to that Cup winning squad.

Robertson was good, especially pre-injury. Amazing to think - given the dearth in talent of midfielders we've had in recent years - that we once had Gomis, Buaben, Robertson and Flood in the same squad.

aaggwg.png

9 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Robertson was good, especially pre-injury. Amazing to think - given the dearth in talent of midfielders we've had in recent years - that we once had Gomis, Buaben, Robertson and Flood in the same squad.

I also find it amazing to think is that none of Flood, Gomis, Buaben or Robertson ever made the step up from us - when they (somewhat predictably) turned down contract extensions to sign for Celtic, Birmingham, Watford and Blackpool they seemed to have the world at their feet...

2 minutes ago, arab_joe said:

I also find it amazing to think is that none of Flood, Gomis, Buaben or Robertson ever made the step up from us - when they (somewhat predictably) turned down contract extensions to sign for Celtic, Birmingham, Watford and Blackpool they seemed to have the world at their feet...

Though strangely one time fan’s boo boy Scott Fraser seems to have done pretty well.

8 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Though strangely one time fan’s boo boy Scott Fraser seems to have done pretty well.

always liked Fraser. However, he's playing in League One.

Flood was never quite good enough for Celtic. Robertson was never the same after his injury. And has been noted Gomis and Buaben together were more than the sum of their parts.

1 hour ago, ArabFC said:

Flood was never quite good enough for Celtic. Robertson was never the same after his injury. And has been noted Gomis and Buaben together were more than the sum of their parts.

Aye this. Noteworthy that they last looked at their best when they were back together at Hearts.

3 hours ago, ArabFC said:

He is, but when you look at who Ipswich have signed this Summer you have stay they rate him highly and he should be in the Championship next year.

3 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

3 hours ago, ArabFC said:

Fraser was a shitebag.  The savy opposition managers knew that one hard challenge early on would see him disappearing for the rest of the game.

Fraser was a guid player who was given a lot more shite than he deserved. Daft old men shouted at him for not running around kicking folk and called him a pussy, completely oblivious to the fact that he was always willing to take the ball and the kicks which came with it. He was comfortably the best footballer in a really shite team and deserved more credit than he got.

IMO.

Edited by Pull My Strings

Fraser was a guid player who was given a lot more shite than he deserved. Daft old men shouted at him for not running around kicking folk and called him a pussy, completely oblivious to the fact that he was always willing to take the ball and the kicks which came with it. He was comfortably the best footballer in a really shite team and deserved more credit than he got.

IMO.
This is entirely correct.