The Dundee United Thread 22/23

22 minutes ago, Twinkle said:

Fuchs is fuckin brilliant. An absolute gem of a player. Hoping that Butcher and Harkes dont make it back into that starting XI

He’s basically Jimmy Gomis MkII.

Always winning the ball when he has no right to do so.

33 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

I thought Levitt was very steady today. Nothing ostentatious or eye catching just made himself available and played the simple ball well with as few touches as possible. Nice balance about the team all over today, I thought. Tidy and organised. What a difference from last season.

Thats what this team has been missing since the beginning of the Fundesliga days. 

I, for one, am delighted we have someone to play simple balls and move play on quickly.

I'm on record as thinking our club is full of loony bin escapees but ill gladly eat my words if they've finally ripped off the straight jackets, started on the meds and finally we're staring to see what they have been blabbering about for the past wee while.

<grits teeth> Well done to the lap top shagger today.

6 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

He’s basically Jimmy Gomis MkII.

Always winning the ball when he has no right to do so.

Hes a very good player but he's got a bit to go before he's up there with wee Jimmy.

For example, hes not ripped the c**t out of Scott Brown for 2 seasons. Yet...

9 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Hes a very good player but he's got a bit to go before he's up there with wee Jimmy.

For example, hes not ripped the c**t out of Scott Brown for 2 seasons. Yet...

By the by, it was more a comparison of what they do. Aye, wee bit to go yet to reach the godlike standards of Jimmy’s first spell.

We obviously still have the Finnish laddie to come in and Christ knows how many crocked players (have we ever started a season with more injuries) but is they’re anything we’re still missing?  A target man maybe?

2 hours ago, ArabFC said:

By the by, it was more a comparison of what they do. Aye, wee bit to go yet to reach the godlike standards of Jimmy’s first spell.

Jimmy truly was amazing. And it was even better the fact he was plucked from Cowdenbeath, looked like a lost wee boy for the first few subbie appearances then turned into the player he did.

In fact Jimmy and Prince were possibly the best midfield pairing I've ever seen in the flesh for United. Sure, we've had better individuals playing for us at the same time but imo, since the mid 90s I can't think of a pairing that complimented each other the way they did.

Willing to be reminded but I can't think of any this second. 

And anyone that says "Ranks and Pates" can f**k the f**k off.

If Fuchs gets anywhere near the player Jimmy was in his prime then ill be happier than a dog with two cocks. 

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

We obviously still have the Finnish laddie to come in and Christ knows how many crocked players (have we ever started a season with more injuries) but is they’re anything we’re still missing?  A target man maybe?

Been saying for years we need a 6'8 Eastern European farmer with a metal forehead that likes diving through brick walls.

Or the new Jon Daly would be even better.

3 hours ago, ArabFC said:

Love that the Cameroon international we brought in from Alaves in La Liga still has a bit to go to reach the standards set by the guy who came in from Cowdenbeath! Gomis was indeed fucking brilliant. 

Edited by Junior_Arab

2 minutes ago, Junior_Arab said:

Love that the Cameroon international we brought in from Alaves in La Liga still has a bit to go to reach the standards set by the guy who came in from Cowdenbeath… 

Fuchs is a fucking class act IMO.

Hope we keep him long enough to see it properly.

On 21/08/2021 at 10:18, Aladdin said:

Words

^^ it's not letting me clear the quote function from yesteryear for some reason.

Anyway.

Ranks and pates were gash. Rankin tried hard but did many think he was actually a quality player?

Fuchs must stay as long as possible.

Edited by Mvondo_the_great

44 minutes ago, Mvondo_the_great said:

^^ it's not letting me clear the quote function from yesteryear for some reason.

Anyway.

Ranks and pates were gash. Rankin tried hard but did many think he was actually a quality player?

“Ranks and Pates” provided a solid base for the flair players to go and do their thing. They were reasonably effective on the park and I’ve seen Andy Robertson in several interviews before and after he won the CL sing Rankin’s praises in particular as being a great influence and role model off the pitch too. 

55 minutes ago, Junior_Arab said:

“Ranks and Pates” provided a solid base for the flair players to go and do their thing. They were reasonably effective on the park and I’ve seen Andy Robertson in several interviews before and after he won the CL sing Rankin’s praises in particular as being a great influence and role model off the pitch too. 

They did a job aye.

1 hour ago, Mvondo_the_great said:

Anyway.

Rankin was decent. Paton was the weaker of the two and was a kiddy on hard man.

At their best, neither could lace the boots of Jimmy or Prince.

Love that the Cameroon international we brought in from Alaves in La Liga still has a bit to go to reach the standards set by the guy who came in from Cowdenbeath! Gomis was indeed fucking brilliant. 
I've always wondered about the story behind Gomis ending up Cowdenbeath in the first place.

1 hour ago, MeadowArab said:
6 hours ago, Junior_Arab said:

I've always wondered about the story behind Gomis ending up Cowdenbeath in the first place.

Glitch in the simulation.

Will take it though.

12 hours ago, Gibby82 said:

Fuchs outstanding again. We’ll be lucky to keep a hold of him beyond the window at this rate.

I've always thought Fuchs is a very good player, but yesterday he was genuinely outstanding - completely dominated the midfield, and barely lost a challenge all day.  Even BBC Sportsound's player of the century, Shaun Rooney, looked clueless in challenges with him.

12 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

I thought Levitt was very steady today. Nothing ostentatious or eye catching just made himself available and played the simple ball well with as few touches as possible.

For a guy that has only trained with the team a few times, he fitted in extremely well.  A great touch and some very good passes in tight spaces.  Seems to offer a lot more than Harkes.

11 hours ago, Steven W said:

We bizarrely seemed to struggle with throw ins all afternoon. Winning a throw in became a hindrance to be honest.

I was thinking that, too - with the exception of McNulty, nobody seemed to want the ball any time we got one.  I thought we were going to have one reversed for Jamie Robson "time wasting" as he was taking so long each time - then about 5 seconds after I had that thought, we got a throw-in on the left and he and Nicky Clark somehow conspired to get the ball to Peter Pawlett and... 1-0. 

8 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

In fact Jimmy and Prince were possibly the best midfield pairing I've ever seen in the flesh for United. Sure, we've had better individuals playing for us at the same time but imo, since the mid 90s I can't think of a pairing that complimented each other the way they did.

Willing to be reminded but I can't think of any this second.

Hard to argue with - those two complimented each other amazingly well.  Incredible to think that Jimmy was playing at Cowdenbeath and Prince was, if memory serves, working in a bar in Manchester (I believe he now owns a bar in Manchester, so a somewhat circular career).

6 hours ago, Mvondo_the_great said:

Ranks and pates were gash.

Extremely harsh - both of them were very effective in allowing more attacking players to get on the ball, and covered many defensive yards that Gauld, GMS, Ciftci etc. were certainly not going to cover!  We were spoilt with Jimmy and Prince - any pairing that followed them (even a few years down the line) was going to be under a lot of scrutiny.

Like most, I was incredibly skeptical about the appointment/promotion of Tam Courts to manager... but fair play to him, he has blocked out a lot of the noise and just got on with things - and so far has got the team playing really well.  Long may it continue!