The Dundee United Thread 22/23

3 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Big thing for me today is Mulgrew looks like a proper captain. Not a captain because he is a bit older than his colleagues and plays CH but organising everyone around and in front of him.

I don't think we have had someone like that since Webster.

Only criticism is he shouldn't be putting balls into the box from halfway, he should be in the box as we have precious little height in there. 

We don't have anyone else as good at taking set pieces as he is mate. I get that without we have little height but we also need to get the ball in the bloody box in the first place.

4 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

Loved that today. Was looking forward to it massively even though I fully expected a scudding. Just to be back in the stadium was great but it turned out so much better than I could have imagined.

Wife's on nightshift so I'll be cracking open a few beers and watching the whole game again tonight once I get the wee one to bed. Great performance particularly from some guys who have been much maligned. Pawlett and Robson both excellent. Likewise Butcher and Fuchs. The two centre halves won virtually everything that was put into the box. Absolutely delighted. 

Great for Courts. I've had serious reservations but if he can get the team to play like that every week then no-one will care where he came from or how much shite he talks. You never know, he might even relax and stop treating every media appearance like a job interview.

:lol: Tremendous. 

10 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

We should all boo the team onto the pitch next time out and launch our scarves and season tickets on for good measure.

A chorus of "I'm no going back till Courts is gone, back till Courts is gone!" Should help too.

25 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

A chorus of "I'm no going back till Courts is gone, back till Courts is gone!" Should help too.

One interesting thing from yesterday, and let’s remember we scored with 25 minutes to go.

I didn’t hear one chorus of “Tam Courts’ Tangerine Army”, something that would normally be sung on the occasion of a new manager.

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

One interesting thing from yesterday, and let’s remember we scored with 25 minutes to go.

I didn’t hear one chorus of “Tam Courts’ Tangerine Army”, something that would normally be sung on the occasion of a new manager.

Hes still got a hell of a long way to go before he proves hell be a good manager and not a yes man so its understandable imo. 

A few more performances like that in the coming games and he'll start to win people round.

Yesterday we were playing the champions with no expectations albeit with lots of pressure from fans. Wait till the end of September and see how many times yesterday is repeated.

3 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Hes still got a hell of a long way to go before he proves hell be a good manager and not a yes man so its understandable imo. 

A few more performances like that in the coming games and he'll start to win people round.

Yesterday we were playing the champions with no expectations albeit with lots of pressure from fans. Wait till the end of September and see how many times yesterday is repeated.

Whilst I agree that, yes, we'll need to wait for a few months before we can judge if he's any good or not, calling him a "yes man" is a little unfair. We're following a completely different model just now with Ashgar pulling the strings re new players / new contracts etc. and Courts merely training the players he's presented with and picking the team on matchday (i.e. a Head Coach and not a manager) He's not a yes man because he simply isn't asked any questions.

The model we're following, whilst wouldn't be my choice, has been used extensively on the continent (and sporadically in the UK) for many years.

1 hour ago, Steven W said:

Whilst I agree that, yes, we'll need to wait for a few months before we can judge if he's any good or not, calling him a "yes man" is a little unfair. We're following a completely different model just now with Ashgar pulling the strings re new players / new contracts etc. and Courts merely training the players he's presented with and picking the team on matchday (i.e. a Head Coach and not a manager) He's not a yes man because he simply isn't asked any questions.

The model we're following, whilst wouldn't be my choice, has been used extensively on the continent (and sporadically in the UK) for many years.

I don’t think Courts would like to be called a ‘Yes Man’.

He’d prefer ‘Positive Affirmation Man’.

3 hours ago, Steven W said:

I'll agree then that hes a silenced husk of a human puppet for Tony Asghar to hide behind while he plays Football Manager 😋

I'm not a fan of the sitting duck head coach because there's less accountability on the people making the important longer term decisions.

Sure, Thomasso can empty the famous Tannadice Tombola every week but the problem is still that the person putting the names into it hasn't changed. The names going in broadly haven't changed either. But Thomasso will be blamed and emptied before Tony who will pick his next sacrificial bam to hide behind.

I missed the game yesterday but by all accounts it was a well fought victory with everyone playing at the top of their game. Its great to hear and hopefully we go on to emulate these performances longer term. If Thomas is the unlikely man for the job and unlocks the killer instinct in Harkes and moulds him into Iniesta and turns Clark into Ronaldo MK1 then ill be over the moon.

If we don't and slip back into the guff of the last two and a bit years this squad has served up it'll be Neilson, Mellon and Tam who the players have failed. And that points to a failure in recruitment and whos job is that?

Harkes is a funny one from yesterday. He played at the level I've been expecting and seen hes capable of (occasionally) the last couple of seasons. 

Which it makes it even more frustrating when he does the not particularly good at anything show he more often does on the pitch. 

Edited by ArabianKnight

On 07/08/2021 at 09:46, mishtergrolsch said:

If we sign 2 International wingers I'll be happier than a dog with two cocks. 

Then if we sell Shankland ill probably have a seizure.

"stroke", shirley?

25 minutes ago, stewartyftd1 said:

Hopefully this weekend shuts the pusses of the pain in the arse BNB’s who think they were on to something this season. We beat the Blue arse cheek of Glasgow while they get absolutely scudded!

:lol: Dry your eyes tiny tears.