The Dundee United Thread 22/23

2 hours ago, Junior_Arab said:

James McPake surely? He was the last guy I remember wrecking a Dundee players knee in a derby match when he launched into a terrible challenge trying to hurt someone. 

Was that the season Dundee relegated Dundee United at Dens Park? 

12 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

It’s only a matter of time before Ogren accepts that he’s made a monumental error in thinking that he can make money from being involved in Scottish football.  I’m amazed that he’s allowed himself to get in so deep and I would not be surprised if he walked away.

As at June 2020 he had a loan of over £7m to the club, given what has happened since then I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s now in deeper.  Maybe he’ll take the season ticket money, the proceeds of various sales (Seigrist, Shanks, Robson) and cut his losses.

Sensible analysis.  I hope it doesn’t happen and Ofren remains as when the financial Armageddon arrived at Dens it was a shitey feeling. Alas it’s worse than £7m to the owner as United are in big debt to the Scottish government as well with nearly £3m due  

image.thumb.jpeg.d59226a60ff93e996ac5564ecaa6c3ce.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Chateau Lafite said:

Sensible analysis.  I hope it doesn’t happen and Ofren remains as when the financial Armageddon arrived at Dens it was a shitey feeling. Alas it’s worse than £7m to the owner as United are in big debt to the Scottish government as well with nearly £3m due  

image.thumb.jpeg.d59226a60ff93e996ac5564ecaa6c3ce.jpeg

The conditions attached to the Scottish Govt loan on bonuses and directors pay are probably the best thing for the club at the moment.

You would be stupid not to take an unsecured minimal interest loan if you can use it to reduce other forms of borrowing. Will need to see next year's accounts to see if they have done that though. 

47 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

The conditions attached to the Scottish Govt loan on bonuses and directors pay are probably the best thing for the club at the moment.

You would be stupid not to take an unsecured minimal interest loan if you can use it to reduce other forms of borrowing. Will need to see next year's accounts to see if they have done that though. 

Not even minimal interest - completely interest free. It would have been bordering on negligent NOT to take a loan on that basis, regardless of the financial state of the club. 

Occasionally, just occasionally when the Dees pop up on Utd threads like they have done every few weeks since their own admin (the first one I mean) predicting financial Armageddon for United I start to get a little worried that maybe they’re right THIS time (in the same way a broken clock is right eventually). But then you see a post like the one above suggesting that this loan was a reason to worry and you remember that most of them really don’t have a clue. 

4 minutes ago, Junior_Arab said:

Not even minimal interest - completely interest free. It would have been bordering on negligent NOT to take a loan on that basis, regardless of the financial state of the club. 

Occasionally, just occasionally when the Dees pop up on Utd threads like they have done every few weeks since their own admin (the first one I mean) predicting financial Armageddon for United I start to get a little worried that maybe they’re right THIS time (in the same way a broken clock is right eventually). But then you see a post like the one above suggesting that this loan was a reason to worry and you remember that most of them really don’t have a clue. 

Also, repayable over 20 years, nothing due back this financial year. Of course there are concerns about the levels of dependency on the owner, but I don't really see why anyone would point at United for accessing the SG loan scheme. Only Celtic, famed for paying large dividends to Dermot Desmond, turned down the loan, as he wouldn't get anything out of it.

17 minutes ago, Junior_Arab said:

Well this Dee has a clue. The loan in isolation isn’t a big worry, the problem is essentially the total of £10m owed to Mr Ogren and  the  Scottish government. Add to that continuing trading losses and I worry for the future. 

After last night's worrying prediction that a statement will be coming out of the club shortly, I've since changed my mind.

Finances may be dire, but when the club's goal is to sell highly prized assets, they're not going to advertise issues openly and sell people for peanuts. 

Everyone is in a mess financially, don't forget that. Ogren has done wonders for the club and knows full well that the club need to be in Europe to make money. He'll keep spending it. United have a 5 year plan and I don't think players like Harkes, Pawlett and Reynolds were ever part of that plan. Ogren has known for a wee while that investment is needed. He'll accept that the impact of the virus is something that simply had to be accepted by himself financially and I expect him to inject money into the club. 

2 minutes ago, Dunfermline Arab said:

After last night's worrying prediction that a statement will be coming out of the club shortly, I've since changed my mind.

Finances may be dire, but when the club's goal is to sell highly prized assets, they're not going to advertise issues openly and sell people for peanuts. 

Everyone is in a mess financially, don't forget that. Ogren has done wonders for the club and knows full well that the club need to be in Europe to make money. He'll keep spending it. United have a 5 year plan and I don't think players like Harkes, Pawlett and Reynolds were ever part of that plan. Ogren has known for a wee while that investment is needed. He'll accept that the impact of the virus is something that simply had to be accepted by himself financially and I expect him to inject money into the club. 

Ogren hasn’t “done wonders for the club”.  He has put in a huge amount of money and oversaw the appointment of a manager who kept us in the top division in that difficult and tricky season after being promoted.

I am extremely grateful for both those things.  I dread to think what would have happened to the club had he not bought it over when he did.

However the club has been haemorrhaging money and we are probably in a worse financial state than we were under Stephen Thomson.  Also we no longer have the saleable assets that we did in the Thomson Jnr era.

The best that any club in the Scottish Premiership can hope for financially is breaking even over time.  I do not see any road to him clawing back £7m plus.  That does not bode well for the club’s future.

Other clubs may also be in a financial mess but that really doesn’t impact upon the enormity of our problem.

19 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Ogren hasn’t “done wonders for the club”.  He has put in a huge amount of money and oversaw the appointment of a manager who kept us in the top division in that difficult and tricky season after being promoted.

I am extremely grateful for both those things.  I dread to think what would have happened to the club had he not bought it over when he did.

However the club has been haemorrhaging money and we are probably in a worse financial state than we were under Stephen Thomson.  Also we no longer have the saleable assets that we did in the Thomson Jnr era.

The best that any club in the Scottish Premiership can hope for financially is breaking even over time.  I do not see any road to him clawing back £7m plus.  That does not bode well for the club’s future.

Other clubs may also be in a financial mess but that really doesn’t impact upon the enormity of our problem.

Disagree. 

The structure of the club is far better, despite what people think about the whole Mel Brannigan situation and the job that Ashgar is doing.

The work of the academy is incredibly good and personally I think Ashgar has a few gems up his sleeve. Fuchs was a great bit of business and I fancy he is ACTUALLY waiting to seal deals for a few players that are actually worth waiting for.

19 minutes ago, Dunfermline Arab said:

Disagree. 

The structure of the club is far better, despite what people think about the whole Mel Brannigan situation and the job that Ashgar is doing.

The work of the academy is incredibly good and personally I think Ashgar has a few gems up his sleeve. Fuchs was a great bit of business and I fancy he is ACTUALLY waiting to seal deals for a few players that are actually worth waiting for.

I love your optimism.  Only hope you’re not too crushed if/when things go wrong.

41 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

I would expect us to get at least £1m for Pawlett if we decide to cash in.

21 minutes ago, Zoomer Brown said:

Fixed

I’m going to go out on a limb here and say it will be a figure in between.  Unless he goes on a free (please).

26 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I love your optimism.  Only hope you’re not too crushed if/when things go wrong.

Hes not far wrong though afaik. 

The points about the academy and internal structures of the club are absolutely spot on. 

I know however that they are looking to bring in a few more coaches for lower age groups atm.