The Dundee United Thread 22/23

1 minute ago, Tannadeechee said:

Scott Burns reporting a £200000 offer for Jamie Robson from Lincoln City and saying he won't be involved now against Aberdeen.

f**k me. I'd be driving him to Lincoln.

Just now, Tannadeechee said:

Scott Burns reporting a £200000 offer for Jamie Robson from Lincoln City and saying he won't be involved now against Aberdeen.

You might want to stick a comma in there for those old guys whose eyesight is failing. No me, like.

Jamie's not as bad as some would have you believe but, still, I'd be tempted to let him go and move on. I doubt he'll ever be better than decent.

1 minute ago, Pull My Strings said:

You might want to stick a comma in there for those old guys whose eyesight is failing. No me, like.

Jamie's not as bad as some would have you believe but, still, I'd be tempted to let him go and move on. I doubt he'll ever be better than decent.

😂

Certainly improved over the last couple of seasons. You could see he had knuckled down, but if it then allows us to bring in some creativity in the middle of the park or a winger that can cross consistently then definitely worth it.

1 minute ago, Pull My Strings said:

It would be a good move for all concerned: money for a player who a large percentage of the support don't rate, and a fresh start for the player himself.

My view is that Robson has had a variety of poor team mates around him while being selected by around 10 different managers, and he's a far better player than many can see. Remembering the slating left backs Danny Grainger and Barry Douglas used to get from our support, and noting the decent careers they had when the left, a parting of the ways is probably for the best.

5 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

He's utterly standard.

Hopefully means we can push some other signing over the line 

He's done United well over the years. I quite like him as a player, a bit like Keith Watson - very meh, bottom six Premiership player.

With Duffy coming through, Sporle and Freeman available as well as United playing a 3-5-2., more than happy for United to sell him for £200k + a sell-on if it means we can sign 2 or 3 players.

19 minutes ago, ArabAuslander said:

He's done United well over the years. I quite like him as a player, a bit like Keith Watson - very meh, bottom six Premiership player.

With Duffy coming through, Sporle and Freeman available as well as United playing a 3-5-2., more than happy for United to sell him for £200k + a sell-on if it means we can sign 2 or 3 players.

Watson was MILES better than Robson. Scored goals, could cross a ball and loved a good sliding tackle. Solid as f**k. I demand you retract that statement. We haven't had a better right back since he was wrongly punted by McNaFortune and I can't remember a dramatically better RB before him in a long time. Dillon was decent for a time and Kovacevic was solid defensively but got a nose bleed when he crossed the half way line. Did blooter Laffetty though which means he's up there. Really, its Mark Wilson MK1 who youd have to go back to unless I've (most likely) totally forgotten someone.

Robson is bang average. If he could cross then he'd be very useful but he can't, so he isn't. My only issue with him going is we don't have a natural LB to replace him, Sporle isn't a left back and imo inferior to Robson defensively. Saying that, £200,000 for him is a very good deal and could be used to strengthen the team dramatically.

Overall id be happy if we sold but mildly concerned about the replacement. 

Edited by mishtergrolsch

Robson has done us a decent turn. Thought he toiled a little with the step up to Premier League last season, but on the whole been decent for us. £200k is good money. Money I imagine will be used to chip away at our debts 

Surprising that Shankland and Siegrist remain on our books, and that Robson should be the first player we sell this summer (should a deal go through)

I wouldn't confuse being the only option available and racking up appearances with being a good servant to the club.

He's a massively limited footballer, especially in an era where full backs are expected to make attacking contributions.

That said he's probably the best he has ever been for us and hopefully he is maturing as a player and as a man and I think is the best for all concerned.

Flashbacks of when Barry Douglas left.

Nobody rated him either.

Robson isn’t great but he’s good enough for this level and we’ll no doubt end up with someone else worse.

In fact we’ll probably sign nobody to replace him.

Le sigh.

55 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Flashbacks of when Barry Douglas left.

Nobody rated him either.

Robson isn’t great but he’s good enough for this level and we’ll no doubt end up with someone else worse.

In fact we’ll probably sign nobody to replace him.

Le sigh.

There must be a 16 year old on the books we could play there. Youth is the priority now...

ETA Barry Douglas was about the level of Robson defensively but much better going forward and was unfortunate to be the guy that was wedged between the excellent version of Paul Dixon and Andy fucking Robertson. A hugely difficult act to follow and then made to look guff by the best left back at Tannadice since the 80s generation after he left.

Douglas could also take a decent free kick and had good delivery which Robson dosent have in his locker tbh.

But yes, we'll end up with someone fucking shite.

Edited by mishtergrolsch

Seemingly happy to let him go because of the emergence of Flynn Duffy. 

Jamie is one player that, when you read the team sheet on a Saturday, you never feel negative about his inclusion. I do feel, however, that he is capable of so much more than he's shown for United and don't think he'd be anything more than "pretty good" for us 

6 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Has Duffy "emerged" or has he played because of suspension and injury injury we dont have anyone else?

Id love to be proved wrong and hate to be down on a young kid but Duffy doesn't look anything like a top league full back.

Duffy was playing for 2 reasons, injury to Sporle and Robson's supension AND making sure everyone got a run out in the pre-season/League Cup group state games.

Doesn't look completely ready either to me , but as it looks like we aren't playing with full backs, but rather 3 at the back then will that be as big a problem? Sporle when fit for me is a better option in the current/proposed formation than Robson.and then use Duffy as backup/off the bench to give game time.