The Dundee United Thread 22/23

1 hour ago, ArabianKnight said:

Nah there's something in it. Whether or not he signs is another matter. 

I think this points more to a back 3 of Butcher Edwards Mulgrew though. 

There was something in it with Norwood to allegedly too.

Not that I'm having a go at you but until he's standing with a United scarf above his head at Tannadice then ill assume he's on his way to Hibs.

The club/owners aren't as broke as some think. 

Obviously not flush with cash but I don't think we'll be rattling buckets any time soon. 

They rattled buckets to get that fans handout earlier in 2021 (Jan/Feb?)

And what’s really changed that will create lots of chances for Shankland? I don’t see anything that won’t make us any less toothless in attack. 

The big summer signing for our attack has been Pawlett, on less money. It doesn’t scream flush. 😄

Edited by East Coast Warrior

The club/owners aren't as broke as some think. 

Obviously not flush with cash but I don't think we'll be rattling buckets any time soon. 

I'll remember that next time I'm asked to make a random donation for no reason when buying a ST/being strong armed into not taking a discount I was led to believe I was getting/ being told no discounts on non attendance at this seasons games/ being asked to vote on handing over DUSF funds 

39 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

I'll remember that next time I'm asked to make a random donation for no reason when buying a ST/being strong armed into not taking a discount I was led to believe I was getting/ being told no discounts on non attendance at this seasons games/ being asked to vote on handing over DUSF funds 

Oh don't get me wrong I think the club are being incredibly cynical right now and that definitely doesn't sit right with me. 

AFAIK the fund raising is more to do with plugging gaps until insurance and other payments come through. 

Edited by ArabianKnight

2 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

I don’t think Ogren can be criticised given the money he has sunk into the club.

16 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I don’t think Ogren can be criticised given the money he has sunk into the club.

Agreed 110%. As much as I've been craving news of signings, I've been saying for months that this season is going to be a case of riding our the storm of Covid and surviving again. There's talk of top 6 but I think we'd do well to be safe come the end of the season. Thoughts? 

21 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I never known the club to be out with the begging bowl to fans as much as in the Ogren era.

Given his stated aim is to make personal profit from the club I don't think it's unreasonable that it's his own capital he puts in.

55 minutes ago, Dunfermline Arab said:

Agreed 110%. As much as I've been craving news of signings, I've been saying for months that this season is going to be a case of riding our the storm of Covid and surviving again. There's talk of top 6 but I think we'd do well to be safe come the end of the season. Thoughts? 

Three thoughts.

1. I’m not convinced of the Courts appointment or the idea that the way forward is to bring young players through and sell them on for big bucks.  If it was as easy as that every club would be doing it.

2. I’m wary of Ashgar.  According my eldest son Adam Ashgar is de facto assistant to Courts though this has never been announced.

3.  There’s a fine line between spending too much bringing in new/better players and risking relegation by not spending enough.  Again a perennial problem, but we desperately need strengthening in some areas.  If we were to go back down Ogren’s vision for the future would be dead in the water.

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

I never known the club to be out with the begging bowl to fans as much as in the Ogren era.

Given his stated aim is to make personal profit from the club I don't think it's unreasonable that it's his own capital he puts in.

Eddie Thompson was never out with the begging bowl, but he left us in a massive pool of debt. There is probably a balance somewhere 

8 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Eddie Thompson was never out with the begging bowl, but he left us in a massive pool of debt. There is probably a balance somewhere 

This isn't maybe the best thing to say here but asking fans to help out during unprecedented times isn't in itself the worst. 

Mainly because as cynical as it may be it would leave funds to do things those same fans are screaming out for now like signing a certain caliber of player... 

20 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

This isn't maybe the best thing to say here but asking fans to help out during unprecedented times isn't in itself the worst. 

Mainly because as cynical as it may be it would leave funds to do things those same fans are screaming out for now like signing a certain caliber of player... 

It’s a perfectly reasonable thing to say here and elsewhere.

We bought our season tickets well before knowing what the season ahead would offer.

That said, the Tam Court Experiment makes ‘helping out’ the club the same as paying taxes.  I really have no problem paying my taxes but it would be more palatable if we weren’t spending all that money on Trident.

Fans are always going to help out when there is a need to do so and despite reservations about characters and motives I joined DUSF as i think there is going to come a time we need it and best to be prepared.

I wouldn't say I'm over the moon about it but I have made peace with the fact that the owners are unapologetically here to turn a profit so I won't be grateful that they put their own capital at risk.

I don't want to go over old ground but the club were sneaky as f**k about the ST rebate, especially given a huge chunk of us would have written it off anyway. I don't know if that's the owners or Asghar but some things are about more than money and the whole thing left a bad taste in the mouth. 

9 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

It’s a perfectly reasonable thing to say here and elsewhere.

We bought our season tickets well before knowing what the season ahead would offer.

That said, the Tam Court Experiment makes ‘helping out’ the club the same as paying taxes.  I really have no problem paying my taxes but it would be more palatable if we weren’t spending all that money on Trident.

Don't mind spending on this Trident fella if he's a creative midfielder or a winger.