The Dundee United Thread 22/23

Does any Arab ITK have any info on the ticket numbers/distribution for the Sevco game?

Dundee are still waiting on the Council to give them approval for increased numbers at Dens next week. We have someone at the club asking the questions and the plan is to have (according to the supporters meeting this week), “at least” all season ticket holders attend if they can get the approval.

32 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

Dundee are still waiting on the Council to give them approval for increased numbers at Dens next week. We have someone at the club asking the questions and the plan is to have (according to the supporters meeting this week), “at least” all season ticket holders attend if they can get the approval.

Good to know.  Have to start practicing my booing.

33 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Good to know.  Have to start practicing my booing.

The fact England got so far in the Euros means my booing has had a great pre season and reached peak condition just in time the start of the season.

23 hours ago, stumigoo said:

Beyond me why United don't feel the need to tell us this.

Also, that's 2 hours shy of a full day since a comment in this thread (apologies to those holding out for the full day)  which is a pretty telling statistic re lack of activity at Tannadice be it, new signings, matches, meaningful news etc etc.

Have no desire jump on the doom and gloom bandwagon, but output from Tannadice has a lot of scope to improve upon. I'd suggest looking to for Fir Park as a good example of fan engagement.

49 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Beyond me why United don't feel the need to tell us this.

Also, that's 2 hours shy of a full day since a comment in this thread (apologies to those holding out for the full day)  which is a pretty telling statistic re lack of activity at Tannadice be it, new signings, matches, meaningful news etc etc.

Have no desire jump on the doom and gloom bandwagon, but output from Tannadice has a lot of scope to improve upon. I'd suggest looking to for Fir Park as a good example of fan engagement.

Other than my two sons I have not spoken to many Arabs IRL recently and don’t do any other social media.  However I get the impression from the Arab poster on here that the mood is one of resignation at the Tam Courts experiment.  Hence the lack of interest or enthusiasm.

As you say the lack of communication by the club does not help.

I know I said I didn't want to jump on the doom and gloom bandwagon, but I hadn't realised the new shirts are not available on-line.

So they went on sale at the weekend. A weekend when for some reason, despite saying we would a month ago, we opted not to play a friendly with 2000+ fans at.

So what are the predictions for this season?

Where will we finish? 10th. Just.

Who will be our POTY? Edwards

Who will be the young POTY? Chalmers

Who will dissappear never to be seen again? Sporle and Connolly

The biggest disappointment? Pawlett, Clark and Robson getting contract extentions to 2029 with finances raised from Shanklands sale to Hibs on the last day of the window.

Biggest surprise? Tam Courts to be here after October.

24 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

The biggest disappointment? Pawlett, Clark and Robson getting contract extentions to 2029 with finances raised from Shanklands sale to Hibs on the last day of the window.

Where will we finish? 5th

Who will be our POTY? Between Mulgrew and Edwards for me, I can see this pairing working very well over the season. 

Who will be the young POTY? Chalmers or Mochrie 

Who will dissappear never to be seen again? Connolly and Reynolds 

The biggest disappointment? Pawlett, unless he majorly improves his level on the pitch get him to f**k

Biggest surprise? Tam Courts to actually do alright and get us into the top 6. I think at a minimum he'll be able to replicate the Mellon eye bleed that got us a point away from being in the top 6 seasons end. But he'll pick up a couple more wins on the way than Mellon did. 

I know I said I didn't want to jump on the doom and gloom bandwagon, but I hadn't realised the new shirts are not available on-line.
So they went on sale at the weekend. A weekend when for some reason, despite saying we would a month ago, we opted not to play a friendly with 2000+ fans at.

My gripe with the kit and training gear launch was the fact that they mentioned in the club statement that a new shop website will be launched in August to allow for online purchases, and that at present the kit will only be available in-store.

It’s pretty amateurish to decide that the club needs a new online platform and then to not have it available for the launch of the new kit and training range.

To be honest much of the communication and information from the club has taken a nosedive since Mal Brannigan left. Not that he was amazing or anything, but he hasn’t been replaced and it has meant Asghar and co all doing a bit of everything around the club and certain areas slipping as a result.

At present it is a Sports Lawyer, Financial Director and Sporting Director trying to do much of the work they would never have been exposed to previously. We still have a media team, commercial team and retail team but it seems like they haven’t had anyone to co-ordinate everything. Some of the moans (and I’ve been guilty myself) could all be sorted with just a bit of effort and additional information being published by the club.

Dave Cormack published a big Twitter thread explaining the procedures surrounding Aberdeen’s attendance application and all the logistics regarding that. It’s something that leaves fans with enough information to quell them and give some reassurance. With Asghar off social media and nobody at United in charge of general communication there is nothing coming from Tannadice and it leaves fans bickering with one another on social media.

Take the Rangers game, we won’t find out if we have been successful with our application for additional attendance until after Dundee find out about next Saturday, but a holding statement or little piece published on the website at least gets some information out there and allows for some fans to at least understand where the club is with that matter (I only found out through someone who was at the supporters meeting last week, which should also be publicised better by the club).

With a lot of uncertainty over the appointment of Courts, the club don’t then help themselves with the lack of social media activity and communication with fans.

4 hours ago, Steven W said:

Perhaps the club shop would accept telephone sales, allowing those a distance from Dundee to make purchases. The only thing is, the club shop online is still offering last year's gear, at reduced prices. But it might be worth a call.

Edited by Dundee Hibernian

2 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

I’d be very disappointed to see Sporle go.    Played in a more forward role or as a wing back he can do a job for us.

Sooo...a last minute St Mirren goal means we are unlikely to be seeded for the league cup next round, unless Hearts somehow fail to beat Inverness by two goals. Quite unfortunate to lose out to two teams who had 3-0 wins awarded to them due to Covid, but c'est la vie.

31 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I’d be very disappointed to see Sporle go.    Played in a more forward role or as a wing back he can do a job for us.

I agree. To me, he looks one of the most technically gifted players we have. I know that doesn't always transfer to the pitch, but he is unpredictable which makes it difficult to defend against and always looks to be positive on the pitch.

6 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

Sooo...a last minute St Mirren goal means we are unlikely to be seeded for the league cup next round, unless Hearts somehow fail to beat Inverness by two goals. An absolute nonsense to lose out to two teams who had 3-0 wins awarded to them due to Covid.

FTFY.

34 minutes ago, Tannadeechee said:

I agree. To me, he looks one of the most technically gifted players we have. I know that doesn't always transfer to the pitch, but he is unpredictable which makes it difficult to defend against and always looks to be positive on the pitch.

Unpredictable... because he doesn't know what he's doing half the time?

1 hour ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Perhaps the club shop would accept telephone sales, allowing those a distance from Dundee to make purchases. The only thing is, the club shop online is still offering last year's gear, at reduced prices. But it might be worth a call.

Aye true. Might give that a bash.

Won't hurt anyway to ask

27 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Unpredictable... because he doesn't know what he's doing half the time?

With the exception of Benji there were few good performers last season, largely due to Mellon’s tactics.

Sporle was one of the players who usually did well when he was given the opportunity.