The Dundee United Thread 22/23

Not sure of the advantage of a friendly at this stage since we’ve already started playing competitive matches.

Looks like we’re starting the league season with Glass, Appere, Sporle and Meekison injured.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Not sure of the advantage of a friendly at this stage since we’ve already started playing competitive matches.

Looks like we’re starting the league season with Glass, Appere, Sporle and Meekison injured.

Would allow trialists as you can't play them in League Cup 

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Presumably they'd serve the same purpose as they slways do.

4 hours ago, Steven W said:

Did I imagine United saying that we'd purposely asked to play our four LC matches first, in order to free up the 24th July for a friendly at Tannadice? 

If I didn't imagine it, then I guess it's going to fall by the wayside?

It's something United have done for the last few seasons (since Robbie came in at least) and because it worked in 2019-20 with United making a good start to the league campaign, I think the club are just happy to continue doing it.

Edited by ArabAuslander

33 minutes ago, Tannadeechee said:

Only once in Level 0 can 2000 fans attend games, ie from July 19th. Although clubs can request more.

Yeah this is something interesting in how it's been reported. Is it right that 2k is a maximum but clubs can effectively apply for capacity if they can show proper measures in place? 

I've actually struggled to find this info out for myself. 

1 hour ago, Pull My Strings said:

Maybe they did request and were refused. Or chose not to request because of the sky high infection rates in Dundee.

I think either/both are possibilities but it would have been easy to put something on the club website to let folk know.

1 hour ago, ArabianKnight said:

Yeah this is something interesting in how it's been reported. Is it right that 2k is a maximum but clubs can effectively apply for capacity if they can show proper measures in place? 

I've actually struggled to find this info out for myself. 

That's my understanding of it. 

1 hour ago, stewartyftd1 said:

So we decided not to bother requesting more? Seems like most other clubs did.

We haven't had any games at Tannadice that we could have had more fans at. The 2000 only comes into force from today and our next Tannadice game is the Rangers game on the 7th August.

Dundee were at Level 2 max 500

Lots of other authorities were at level 1 max 2000

We are all now at level 0 max 2000

We could have applied for more at level 2 but I don't know if the club did or not. Maybe playing it cautious after their ridiculous "Let fans in" campaign over December and January. Would also imagine given Dundee case numbers over the past few weeks there would have been no chance anyway.

46 minutes ago, Tannadeechee said:

We haven't had any games at Tannadice that we could have had more fans at. The 2000 only comes into force from today and our next Tannadice game is the Rangers game on the 7th August.

Nope -could have applied for more in the Elgin & Arbroath (may well have been knocked back in anycase)

You're right 2000 from today now though (with 1M physical distancing). A friendly was mooted for this Saturday which would have allowed a minimum of 2000, but seems to have fell by the wayside. So much for "can't wait to have the fans back".........

On another note, would I be right in thinking of the 1000 fans that have been at Tannadice the last week, none were children? u16s seem to be getting treated a little different

3 hours ago, Steven W said:

Nope -could have applied for more in the Elgin & Arbroath (may well have been knocked back in anycase)

You're right 2000 from today now though (with 1M physical distancing). A friendly was mooted for this Saturday which would have allowed a minimum of 2000, but seems to have fell by the wayside. So much for "can't wait to have the fans back".........

On another note, would I be right in thinking of the 1000 fans that have been at Tannadice the last week, none were children? u16s seem to be getting treated a little different

Definitely was kids in the crowd on Saturday.