The Dundee United Thread 22/23

14 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

That "big switch" is something a lot of successful clubs have used effectively in the past few seasons.

There's always the worry that rookie "modern" managers force these trends onto sides who aren't suited to it based on reading about how successful its been elsewhere.

This, 100%. I’ve seen teams in the bottom half of the junior leagues trying to play like peak Barcelona with extremely limited players, on tiny, bumpy pitches where there’s a gale force wind just waiting to intervene the minute a keeper tries one of those 30yd dinks out to a full back on the touch line. It doesn’t tend to end well for them. 

In the pros I always think of Neil McCann’s Dundee teams who always tried to set up to play like that but just lacked the players to do so and ultimately got relegated under his successor. Even Rodgers’s Celtic teams could do it in Scotland but got found out trying it against better teams in Europe. 

Some views from a Kelty fan on Tam Courts.  He will certainly try and get you playing a certain way but I wouldn't be worried about him forcing "modern" tactics all the time.  He did vary the way Kelty played a lot but often we were dominating games with ease.  When we came up agaisn teams of similar or better ability there was always a clear change and plan to deal with thier strengths. This is all obviously with a massively inferior squad to you boys and at a much lower level.  The biggest worry for you will be if the players respond to his intense touchline approach which worked well at Kelty as he'd come through the team as captain with a lot of them.

1 hour ago, leomessi1984 said:

Some views from a Kelty fan on Tam Courts.  He will certainly try and get you playing a certain way but I wouldn't be worried about him forcing "modern" tactics all the time.  He did vary the way Kelty played a lot but often we were dominating games with ease.  When we came up agaisn teams of similar or better ability there was always a clear change and plan to deal with thier strengths. This is all obviously with a massively inferior squad to you boys and at a much lower level.  The biggest worry for you will be if the players respond to his intense touchline approach which worked well at Kelty as he'd come through the team as captain with a lot of them.

You clearly never heard Micky Mellon.

17 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

That "big switch" is something a lot of successful clubs have used effectively in the past few seasons.

There's always the worry that rookie "modern" managers force these trends onto sides who aren't suited to it based on reading about how successful its been elsewhere.

Shades of Walter Smith playing Lee McCulloch wide left for Scotland, and getting Davie Weir to smash the ball 40 yards to him.   Do Dundee United play a tall centre forward wide left?   Pretty sure Ross County will this season, too.

4 hours ago, Tannadeechee said:

FC Lahti saying Jasin Assehnoun to play his last game for them today, transfer agreed. 2+2=5??

Two things here; what does "kokoonpanossa" mean? Is it a team? Is it a place? What a word!

Secondly, how mental is that stand? It looks like it's been made from left over bits of the Cumbernauld Centre. 

As soon as everything is in the condom........................

"Assehnoun, who scored the winning goal in his farewell match, confirmed to Ruudu that he would move abroad after the game was suspended, but he could not yet announce the upcoming club.

- I can't tell you yet. It will probably be seen in a couple of days. As soon as everything is in the condom, the information comes to light, Assehnoun said.

- I have worked hard to get closer to my dreams. Fortunately, it has paid off.

- I just have to keep working and hopefully I will reach the potential that is possible.

Assehnoun, who has represented FC Lahti for three years, managed to play in ten Veikkausliiga matches this season and scored five goals in them. Last season, he scored nine goals and finished fifth on the goal exchange."

https://www.msn.com/fi-fi/urheilu/jalkapallo/huuhkajissa-debytoinut-hyökkääjä-jättää-veikkausliigan-viheriöt-–-vahvisti-ruudulle-siirtyvänsä-ulkomaille/ar-AAM3HFX

21 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

As soon as everything is in the condom........................

"Assehnoun, who scored the winning goal in his farewell match, confirmed to Ruudu that he would move abroad after the game was suspended, but he could not yet announce the upcoming club.

- I can't tell you yet. It will probably be seen in a couple of days. As soon as everything is in the condom, the information comes to light, Assehnoun said.

- I have worked hard to get closer to my dreams. Fortunately, it has paid off.

- I just have to keep working and hopefully I will reach the potential that is possible.

Assehnoun, who has represented FC Lahti for three years, managed to play in ten Veikkausliiga matches this season and scored five goals in them. Last season, he scored nine goals and finished fifth on the goal exchange."

https://www.msn.com/fi-fi/urheilu/jalkapallo/huuhkajissa-debytoinut-hyökkääjä-jättää-veikkausliigan-viheriöt-–-vahvisti-ruudulle-siirtyvänsä-ulkomaille/ar-AAM3HFX

He must be good at shooting.

Etc.