The Dundee United Thread 22/23

25 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

New management setup unbeaten and still not conceded. This is going to be one of our best seasons for many years.

Hes matched Billy Dodds, our most successful manager ever, with an impressive 100% win record.

2 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Its almost as if the majority of the players aren't good enough, regardless of who the manager is.

Recruitment has been diabolical the last few years.

There's still time to fix the lack of creativity in middle of midfield, which I think is the biggest problem we have (along with no pace or wingers)

But...

Recruitment has been diabolical the last few years...so...

I think we have some decent players but need one or two key signings in the right positions to get the best from them.  Interesting both Michael Stewart and Derek McInnes were saying exactly the same things last night that most of us on here have been saying; I don’t think we can all be wrong.

There’s no point having a poacher like Clark or a more creative striker like Shankland if you’re not going to give them any service.

Got to say a little dismayed at some of the comments on here. 

Let's be realistic, I don't think Kelty would be disgraced with the squad they've got in L1 or even the championship. Paying them a bit of a disservice calling them a glorified juniors team! 

They've got players like Cardle, Higginbotham, Tidser and Biabitti(sp) who have all played at a much higher level than L2. 

Kelty definitely made it tough for United and you could see there was a hunger from them to get a scalp. 

I'm not washing over Uniteds performance by any means as I think we looked sluggish and a bit disjointed which is to be expected this time of the season. 

2 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Let's be realistic, I don't think Kelty would be disgraced with the squad they've got in L1 or even the championship. Paying them a bit of a disservice calling them a glorified juniors team! 

They've got players like Cardle, Higginbotham, Tidser and Biabitti(sp) who have all played at a much higher level than L2. 

Kelty definitely made it tough for United and you could see there was a hunger from them to get a scalp. 

I'm not washing over Uniteds performance by any means as I think we looked sluggish and a bit disjointed which is to be expected this time of the season. 

This is the start of the season, we are playing competitive matches and none of the failings of last season have so far been addressed.

ETA - Kelty looked neither sluggish or disjointed.

Edited by Granny Danger

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

This is the start of the season, we are playing competitive matches and none of the failings of last season have so far been addressed.

ETA - Kelty looked neither sluggish or disjointed.

I'm not discounting any of those points I'm pointing out the disrespect getting paid to Kelty here. They are absolutely no mugs clearly so folk should stop making it out that we struggled against some minnows. 

6 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

I have a measure of sympathy for this, United were on a hiding to nothing last night. The game had CUP SHOCK written all over it (rubbishy Premiership side away to upwardly mobile lower division side), and we won...so that's good? The performance wasn't, but we've made a c**t of the league cup for the last three years so a victory with a mediocre performance is still an improvement on that.

53 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Yep. I've been surprised at how uneducated many Utd fans seem to be about anything below the PL.

Kelty will be Championship team within a few years I'd expect. I think that's a good three points last night.

Any news on the Arbroath ballot?

Yep. I've been surprised at how uneducated many Utd fans seem to be about anything below the PL.
Kelty will be Championship team within a few years I'd expect. I think that's a good three points last night.
Some United fans seems to think we're going to fail, which is fair enough.

A few United fans seem to actively want us to fail. Which isn't.

1 hour ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

The performance wasn't, but we've made a c**t of the league cup for the last three years so a victory with a mediocre performance is still an improvement on that.

Didn’t we have exactly the same result and a very similar performance against the same opposition at this stage of the league cup last year? 

1 hour ago, ArabianKnight said:

I'm not discounting any of those points I'm pointing out the disrespect getting paid to Kelty here. They are absolutely no mugs clearly so folk should stop making it out that we struggled against some minnows. 

That's exactly what you did.

Kelty do have players like Cardle, Higginbotham etc but they're playing at the level they are for a reason. There's no reason to panic just yet because you'll surely strengthen. Athough, if Seigrist goes and you don't replace him with a very good keeper and you also fail to bring in some quality outfield players you boys are in trouble.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

I think we have some decent players but need one or two key signings in the right positions to get the best from them.  Interesting both Michael Stewart and Derek McInnes were saying exactly the same things last night that most of us on here have been saying; I don’t think we can all be wrong.

There’s no point having a poacher like Clark or a more creative striker like Shankland if you’re not going to give them any service.

Was it a re run of a show they recorded last season or the season before?

I'm fed up of seeing absolutely everyone highlight the same glaring faults in the team year after year despite being told we have not only an excellent crop of youths (lets see them play then) or we have signing targets who get snapped up by Hibs etc.

I sincerely want this very sketchy managerial appointment to work but without decent signings that we've needed for years, I can only see the past repeating itself again. 

I think our defence is decent enough, I'm not a fan of the full backs but if we had a decent wide players helping to protect them, which we don't, then they'd be fine.

Our front line is good at this level but we are still so devoid of creativity and attacking threat from midfield the forwards might as well not bother showing up at times.

38 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

That's exactly what you did.

Kelty do have players like Cardle, Higginbotham etc but they're playing at the level they are for a reason. There's no reason to panic just yet because you'll surely strengthen. Athough, if Seigrist goes and you don't replace him with a very good keeper and you also fail to bring in some quality outfield players you boys are in trouble.

I think we brought Carson in to be number one if Benji goes.

Agree with the outfield situation. A winger with a bit of pace and can put in a decent cross is one. A midfielder with a modicum of creativity over a sustained period is another. But that's what most clubs want and we're skint.

1 hour ago, Steven W said:

There’s going to be a Declaration soon.

2 hours ago, speckled tangerine said:

I think we brought Carson in to be number one if Benji goes.

Agree with the outfield situation. A winger with a bit of pace and can put in a decent cross is one. A midfielder with a modicum of creativity over a sustained period is another. But that's what most clubs want and we're skint.

Aye but what about the six months that Carson is out injured?

Big Benji single handedly, na make that double handedly, kept you out of a relegation battle last season.

8 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

It's the way we choose to play the game.

I'll try one example. There was at least 3 occasions when our centre backs launched the ball out wide to the 5'10" Kieran Freeman where he had no other option than to try and get his head on it.

I only play amateur fitba, but if I'm at right back in not much room on the touchline and my centre back launches the ball at my head, I'd be screaming "what the fcuk are you doing?"

We don't play football, we play murderball. 

4 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

It's the way we choose to play the game.

I'll try one example. There was at least 3 occasions when our centre backs launched the ball out wide to the 5'10" Kieran Freeman where he had no other option than to try and get his head on it.

I only play amateur fitba, but if I'm at right back in not much room on the touchline and my centre back launches the ball at my head, I'd be screaming "what the fcuk are you doing?"

We don't play football, we play murderball. 

That "big switch" is something a lot of successful clubs have used effectively in the past few seasons.

There's always the worry that rookie "modern" managers force these trends onto sides who aren't suited to it based on reading about how successful its been elsewhere.

2 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Decent result for our former manager today

He's in for Edwards , as are Wigan ! (The usually reliable Scott Burns on twitter)

Edited by billyg