The Dundee United Thread 22/23

20 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Yeah, I think if you were to nick him from us you could very much count it as a coup. Saints fans will dress it up and say he wasn't great for the latter half of the season - and he wasn't  - but the fact is we've been trying to get him to sign a deal since before Xmas and he's been holding out.

Suspicion is his agent has been touting him down south, perhaps without much success - so my guess would be he's now trying teams in Scotland who could add an extra K or something to the weekly wage.

Pretty much this. I wouldn't be that chuffed seeing us lose a player who strengthens a rival but JDH/his agent have been completely hanging out of us for the best part of six months now. 

He's not nearly as in demand as his agent clearly wants or feels he should be and all this humming and hawing now has many St. Mirren fans already saying it was time to pull out of negotiations even before this news came to light. 

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

Pretty much this. I wouldn't be that chuffed seeing us lose a player who strengthens a rival but JDH/his agent have been completely hanging out of us for the best part of six months now. 

He's not nearly as in demand as his agent clearly wants or feels he should be and all this humming and hawing now has many St. Mirren fans already saying it was time to pull out of negotiations even before this news came to light. 

Never caught my eye before, but if he's a midfielder who can pass a ball five yards, then he'll strengthen us.

5 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Never caught my eye before, but if he's a midfielder who can pass a ball five yards, then he'll strengthen us.

I mean, if you play him the way we do currently, 5 yard passes is ALL you'll get from him. 

He has much more in his locker but just never showed it for us outwith the first 8 or so games. 

Nice to see United signing their interim manager, as soon as Courts is out (say, 3 months) as sure as eggs are eggs you'll have Mulgrew stating he only came here to play and that he was loyal to Couts who only needed a "bit more luck" and a "rub of the green".

As for JDH, it's down to money as it seems as he's already said he was happy with the team, the training and his game time while stating he'd improved as a player during his time with us. If United pay him more then I'm not sure I'd call that a "signing coup". As I said in the St Mirren thread, if he goes to another team in the premiership, and he rocks up in the team about to play us, I'd not be overly worried about him. Certainly a decent player but nowhere near good enough to push out the boat for him.

Edited by Ric

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I mean, if you play him the way we do currently, 5 yard passes is ALL you'll get from him. 

He has much more in his locker but just never showed it for us outwith the first 8 or so games. 

Coming across quite St Johnstone here, pal.

Just now, Merkland Red said:

I'd say questioning the appraisal of a player, by someone who has watched almost every second of his time in a St Mirren shirt when you haven't, is definitely St Johnstone-esque. ;)

4 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Not at all. I've been quite vocal about him and his situation for a long time...long before any other club came sniffing. 90% of my criticism is the way Goodwin utilises him as a holding midfielder rather than a box to box player that he clearly looked more suited to in the early parts of his spell.

It was our decision to drop him 20 yards further back, not the player's, so it's clear that his performances were going to suffer being asked to play an enforcer role and protecting the defence by keeping it simple when that clearly didn't suit him.

I was also pretty clear a few weeks back on the St. Mirren thread that whilst he would be no great loss in our current system, I'd be seething at him going to another SPFL club as you just now that they'll play him to his strengths and bring out that right good player that's in there. That's why I'd be happier seeing him pitch up in League 1 down south.

51 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Not at all. I've been quite vocal about him and his situation for a long time...long before any other club came sniffing. 90% of my criticism is the way Goodwin utilises him as a holding midfielder rather than a box to box player that he clearly looked more suited to in the early parts of his spell.

It was our decision to drop him 20 yards further back, not the player's, so it's clear that his performances were going to suffer being asked to play an enforcer role and protecting the defence by keeping it simple when that clearly didn't suit him.

I was also pretty clear a few weeks back on the St. Mirren thread that whilst he would be no great loss in our current system, I'd be seething at him going to another SPFL club as you just now that they'll play him to his strengths and bring out that right good player that's in there. That's why I'd be happier seeing him pitch up in League 1 down south.

I'm not suggesting you're wrong. Just a playful dig after your lot falling over themselves to claim St Johnstone fans were bothered about the Tanser deal.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

If we signed him I would expect he would be able to play a bit further forward.  We have Fuchs protecting the back four, albeit we will see if we hold on to him.

2 minutes ago, GFARAB82 said:

At least your not referring to it as Tannadump so i’ll be a sport and smash that like 👏

Tannadump is up there with the worst. The worst has to be calling either side Dungdee or Dungdee United.