The Dundee United Thread 22/23

6 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

I want to see if I have this right - a former policeman turned failed agent has decided along with his petrol forecourt pal that the way to stem gigantic losses year on year is getting rid of an able manager and replacing him with somebody from the tuck shop so he will play all the St John's S5 team and then they could all be sold for millions?

Terrific. Can't say you weren't warned. It was clearly going to go bad I just never thought this bad. This quickly. 

How much is Ogren worth again, @Twinkle

Our temporary financial lunacy will be an inspiration for you lads in the short term. But...when we do manage to achieve the goals set out in the 5 year plan the Tony has outlined then we'll be out of sight of every team in Scotland. 

By appointing Tam, hes ensured that we'll have Champions League standard youths falling out the academy going for millions. Just you wait.

7 hours ago, Reverend Maynard said:

Changing the mood a little , re Ogren getting his money back. Over a few years (2011- 2015, I think ) we sold

Russell £750k
Goodwillie £2million
Armstrong can’t remember
Mackay-Stevens can’t remember
Chifci £1 m?
Gauld £2 million ?
Robertson £ 2 million ?

The later with ad ons

Can’t be arsed looking up the exact figures but you get my point. It can be done.

And what happened in 2016?

7 hours ago, Reverend Maynard said:

Changing the mood a little , re Ogren getting his money back. Over a few years (2011- 2015, I think ) we sold

Russell £750k
Goodwillie £2million
Armstrong can’t remember
Mackay-Stevens can’t remember
Chifci £1 m?
Gauld £2 million ?
Robertson £ 2 million ?

The later with ad ons

Can’t be arsed looking up the exact figures but you get my point. It can be done.

How many of them were products of the youth set-up seeing as that appears to be the road Utd are going down?  Maybe they all were, I don't know.  

Should't overlook the gift Ogren has provided Scotland's  headline writers. Some puntastic opportunities incoming.

"McPake faces Courts" previewing the first derby 

"Supreme Courts" if we beat the Dees

"Courts Disaster" if we lose to the Dees 

"Courts courts Rangers starlet" when the Record makes up a transfer rumour

"Courts lays down the law" when he tells Pawlett to pull his finger out 

"Courts appeal rejected" when he's suspended 

3 minutes ago, Arabdownunder said:

Should't overlook the gift Ogren has provided Scotland's  headline writers. Some puntastic opportunities incoming.

"McPake faces Courts" previewing the first derby 

"Supreme Courts" if we beat the Dees

"Courts Disaster" if we lose to the Dees 

"Courts courts Rangers starlet" when the Record makes up a transfer rumour

"Courts lays down the law" when he tells Pawlett to pull his finger out 

"Courts appeal rejected" when he's suspended 

'Up in Courts' a biology feature. 

47 minutes ago, hk blues said:

How many of them were products of the youth set-up seeing as that appears to be the road Utd are going down?  Maybe they all were, I don't know.  

4 out of the seven, 1 from abroad on a free and 2 from lower leagues.

1 minute ago, Tannadeechee said:

4 out of the seven, 1 from abroad on a free and 2 from lower leagues.

Presumably you're trying to claim Stuart Armstrong as a "United academy product", despite the fact he was 17 when he joined?

Bit of a stretch, but your clubs been at that for a while now. Appere joined at 17 aswell yet is constantly marked as a youth product at United.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Presumably you're trying to claim Stuart Armstrong as a "United academy product", despite the fact he was 17 when he joined?

Bit of a stretch, but your clubs been at that for a while now. Appere joined at 17 aswell yet is constantly marked as a youth product at United.

You're right of course, both these were signed as first team players and went straight into the first team squad, didn't go into youth teams, and United didn't have anything to do with any development at all.

As we both know that that is bollocks. Yes they were older when they signed, Armstrong had been at 2 clubs previously,  they then played for a couple of years with the youth development sides (or Academy). Its like joining a new secondary school in 4th year & staying on to 6th year, still had input from the new school in development as well has what was learnt previously.

No ones (that knows) claiming United developed them from scratch, but certainly finished and helped in development. 

11 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

and why does it bother you so much?

8 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

How much is Ogren worth again, @Twinkle

Erm i couldnt tell you mate. Hes got a lot more than you or me though

I think you may have me mixed up with another poster when it comes to this subject but i will let you off cos you are a good c**t most of the time

18 minutes ago, Twinkle said:

Erm i couldnt tell you mate. Hes got a lot more than you or me though

I think you may have me mixed up with another poster when it comes to this subject but i will let you off cos you are a good c**t most of the time

Damn autocorrect. I meant to write @ArabianKnight and the phone wrote @Twinkle.

Sorry for the misunderstanding! 

40 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Damn autocorrect. I meant to write @ArabianKnight and the phone wrote @Twinkle.

Sorry for the misunderstanding! 

I seem to remember that you argued he wasn't that rich but the accounts have literally shown he's dropped close to 7.5 million into United last year and doesn't show any signs of being bothered by that investment. 

His wee gas stations must be hella profitable likes. 

Just now, ArabianKnight said:

I seem to remember that you argued he wasn't that rich 

I argued he wasn't as rich as you claimed, yes. Again, how much was that? 

Of course petrol forecourts are profitable, it would be foolhardy to say they weren't. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Alli said:

I argued he wasn't as rich as you claimed, yes. Again, how much was that? 

Of course petrol forecourts are profitable, it would be foolhardy to say they weren't. 

I sarcastically said he had a massive war chest ready to plow into United and wasn't specific about his net worth other than to say its probably more than you think. 

I don't need to explain the war chest joke to you do I? 

5 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

I sarcastically said he had a massive war chest ready to plow into United and wasn't specific about his net worth other than to say its probably more than you think.

You "sarcastically" said he had over £100m to invest. 

You then doubled down and started telling us how much each of his forecourts sold for. 

If he's not bothered about dropping £7.5m into the club in the slightest, he probably shouldn't be begging the fans cubs for money or giving national press interviews about "I only have limited funds". 

2 hours ago, Tannadeechee said:

You're right of course, both these were signed as first team players and went straight into the first team squad, didn't go into youth teams, and United didn't have anything to do with any development at all.

As we both know that that is bollocks. Yes they were older when they signed, Armstrong had been at 2 clubs previously,  they then played for a couple of years with the youth development sides (or Academy). Its like joining a new secondary school in 4th year & staying on to 6th year, still had input from the new school in development as well has what was learnt previously.

No ones (that knows) claiming United developed them from scratch, but certainly finished and helped in development. 

I'm not saying you didn't play a part in their development.

I'm saying that trying to claim a player signed at 17, and who played for the first team less than a year later, cannot possibly be described as a "youth academy product" with a straight face.

2 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

You "sarcastically" said he had over £100m to invest. 

You then doubled down and started telling us how much each of his forecourts sold for. 

If he's not bothered about dropping £7.5m into the club in the slightest, he probably shouldn't be begging the fans cubs for money or giving national press interviews about "I only have limited funds". 

Show me where I said he had a 100m to invest please its a while back and I can't be certain I actually said that.