The Dundee United Thread 22/23

8 hours ago, ATLIS said:

Galaticos :D 

From what I've seen so far though Courts is an insufferable w**k

Heard him on the radio yesterday and genuinely thought it was Steven Pressley.

12 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

Looking forward to the mega signings being lined up to distract everyone from the new manager kerfuffle. I'll be content with Pav, GMS and wee Gauldy coming in. By Friday. Make it so Tony and all will be forgiven.

12 hours ago, Junior_Arab said:

How does Charlie Mulgrew and two 16yr olds from the youth team sound instead? 

Just to continue this; how does Charlie Mulgrew, a South American, a North American and a couple of random youths poached from other teams sound? 

Meeting between the DUSG and the Chairman next Tuesday. I hope he takes this opportunity to address some of the concerns regarding the process behind the appointment. It's one thing making a left-field appointment but the least you can do is sell it properly. If Courts has done something, or suggested something in his work, to justify this massive promotion then tell us what it is.

It's not enough to simply say "we're delighted" or "we're sure he can step up". That's great but why him? Sell it to me properly you complacent sods.

13 hours ago, Fifespud said:

You should never have hounded Stephen Thompson out. He was attempting to make you sustainable and you didn’t like it. You wanted the glory days back, you had a sense of entitlement and you had aspirations completely above your station. This appointment is absolutely desperate and it looks like you’re completely fucked.
Fundee United - this is indeed a fantastic time to be a Dundee fan.

I don't doubt it.

In your time following Dundee where would you say getting into the Premier League and United making a ridiculous managerial appointment ranks?

Must be top 5?

7 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

Meeting between the DUSG and the Chairman next Tuesday. I hope he takes this opportunity to address some of the concerns regarding the process behind the appointment. It's one thing making a left-field appointment but the least you can do is sell it properly. If Courts has done something, or suggested something in his work, to justify this massive promotion then tell us what it is.

It's not enough to simply say "we're delighted" or "we're sure he can step up". That's great but why him? Sell it to me properly you complacent sods.

You were defending the selection process on another thread!

I’m not sure how United could ‘sell’ the appointment tbh; it does not appear to have any merit.

I don't doubt it.
In your time following Dundee where would you say getting into the Premier League and United making a ridiculous managerial appointment ranks?
Must be top 5?

We’ve got into the top league on a number of occasions and each one has been fantastic. It’s more enjoyable of course if you win your last game at home to get promoted as we did in 13/14 with Nade’s winner.
Success on the field, as has been widely documented on this forum, has been sparse to say the least, but I’ve still thoroughly enjoyed my 40 years as a supporter and I’m proud to say I’m a Dundee fan.
This attitude is in sharp contrast to the average Arab’s take on being a football fan. Most of you experienced the ‘blip’ of success during Mad Dog McLean’s tenure and now most of you seem to feel you’re entitled to that in perpetuity.
You need to recalibrate what it means to be a fan of a provincial club, and what constitutes success, because the glory days for Fundee United are well and truly over [emoji4][emoji4][emoji4]

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

You were defending the selection process on another thread!

I’m not sure how United could ‘sell’ the appointment tbh; it does not appear to have any merit.

Was I? Was that the whole process, or one particular aspect? I'm a nuanced guy, Granny, I can disagree with some of the more hysterical complaints without supporting the process as a whole. Like, you might say that Asghar is a big fat pudding with no relevant skills and experience in appointing a manager and I might counter that with the fact that it's hardly unusual and Asghar's probably as qualified as most in the field. That's not an endorsement of the process or the individual, just trying to be fair. I like to give people in difficult jobs the benefit of the doubt that they're not incompetent or corrupt. 

Anyhoo, in this case I'm not even talking about the appointment process but rather the PR that they've shat out to accompany it. They must have a reason for appointing Courts, beyond "he's cheap and on the premises", I presume. Ogren's probably £10M down on his flirtation with Scottish football; that's going to rise sharply if he's made an arse of this appointment. If there's a good reason, tell us what it is and be honest about it. I feel like they're hiding behind platitudes which you can perhaps get away with when things are going well but not so much when you're making really unusual decisions. That sort of behaviour just feeds the paranoia and conspiracy theories, which doesn't help anyone. Unusual decisions should be justified with more details explanations. IMO.

As you say, it looks like it's without merit (I'd say questionable merit but that's maybe semantics). If there's merit tell us what it is.

1 hour ago, Fifespud said:

We’ve got into the top league on a number of occasions and each one has been fantastic. It’s more enjoyable of course if you win your last game at home to get promoted as we did in 13/14 with Nade’s winner.
Success on the field, as has been widely documented on this forum, has been sparse to say the least, but I’ve still thoroughly enjoyed my 40 years as a supporter and I’m proud to say I’m a Dundee fan.
This attitude is in sharp contrast to the average Arab’s take on being a football fan. Most of you experienced the ‘blip’ of success during Mad Dog McLean’s tenure and now most of you seem to feel you’re entitled to that in perpetuity.
You need to recalibrate what it means to be a fan of a provincial club, and what constitutes success, because the glory days for Fundee United are well and truly over emoji4.pngemoji4.pngemoji4.png

I'm a bit young for Jim McLean but have neverthless seen us lift the Scottish Cup twice since those glory days .

In my time following United St Johnstone, Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts, Killie, Livi, Inverness, Ross County, Motherwell and St Mirren have all won major trophies so I don't think I'll be recalibrating my expectation level to your definition of success any time soon - although I can fully appreciate why you have had to. 

27 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

I'm a bit young for Jim McLean but have neverthless seen us lift the Scottish Cup twice since those glory days .

In my time following United St Johnstone, Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts, Killie, Livi, Inverness, Ross County, Motherwell and St Mirren have all won major trophies so I don't think I'll be recalibrating my expectation level to your definition of success any time soon - although I can fully appreciate why you have had to. 

😂 Thats a burn