The Dundee United Thread 22/23

14 hours ago, PartyFears2 said:

I’d be trying to get the bulk of the compo back that we paid Tranmere.

I'd be asking for it back anyway

Mellon has destroyed any flair in your team who were the most brutal team I saw in the flesh last season and in my view were the team that most underperformed considering the talent that some of the players in your team have.

The only time he let them play as they could was at Aberdeen in the cup and then he reverted to his negative style for the semi final.

Maybe next season he will open up a bit but would the fans stand for such a negative style of play or has he got a free ride due to the closed door element of last season.

31 minutes ago, realmadrid said:

Mellon has destroyed any flair in your team who were the most brutal team I saw in the flesh last season and in my view were the team that most underperformed considering the talent that some of the players in your team have.

The only time he let them play as they could was at Aberdeen in the cup and then he reverted to his negative style for the semi final.

Maybe next season he will open up a bit but would the fans stand for such a negative style of play or has he got a free ride due to the closed door element of last season.

We had flair?

Will Ferrell Lol GIF

1 hour ago, realmadrid said:

I mean, the point about destroying flair is true to a great extent but with the caveat that Neilson wasn't a big fan of flair either so there wasn't much to destroy. Mellon is next level dull though. It's like watching classic Tommy Wright St Johnstone but even worse, if you can imagine such a thing.

Totally wrong about the cup quarter and semi though. We played (or tried to play) the same in both but the margins fell one way in the first game and the other in the next. The approach by United was the same. Plus Aberdeen are garbage and so it's easier to play against them.

The person most disappointed must be Lawrence Shankland with regard to this years Euros. he's gone from being the rising star to the forgotten man , yet you can see by the goals he does score there is certainly something there.

I think in all honesty, Shankland is at his level.

He could probably earn money at Hearts/Hibs/Aberdeen but he'd be a benchwarmer for the Old Firm.

Maybe he'd do a decent job for a lower-end Championship team like Huddersfield or Bristol Rovers, but the fact we've never received a bid too good to turn down speaks volumes.

That said, stay at Tannadice forever Lawrence!

1 hour ago, ArabFC said:

I think in all honesty, Shankland is at his level.

He could probably earn money at Hearts/Hibs/Aberdeen but he'd be a benchwarmer for the Old Firm.

Maybe he'd do a decent job for a lower-end Championship team like Huddersfield or Bristol Rovers, but the fact we've never received a bid too good to turn down speaks volumes.

That said, stay at Tannadice forever Lawrence!

I think that is absolute shite.  If Shankland had been in a team this season where he was getting service and not scoring then your view would be valid, to judge him based on Mellon’s tactics have been this season is nonsensical.

He has been off the pace these last few games and I’m not in the least surprised, he must be completely demotivated.  I think a move in the summer is in his best interests and United do not deserve to hold on to him.

55 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I think that is absolute shite.  If Shankland had been in a team this season where he was getting service and not scoring then your view would be valid, to judge him based on Mellon’s tactics have been this season is nonsensical.

He has been off the pace these last few games and I’m not in the least surprised, he must be completely demotivated.  I think a move in the summer is in his best interests and United do not deserve to hold on to him.

The truth, I'd say, is somewhere in the middle. He's not received the service due to MM's tactics, which in turn have been due to the squad the manager inherited, but I'm sure Lawrence knows himself he's not played consistently to form, and has missed a few very good chances, starting off in the very first league game at home to St Johnstone.

I thought last Wednesday he was excellent in the first half, albeit he fired a penalty wide, but he's rarely reached these standards in consistent spells. I'll agree a move may be in his best interests, if we go again next season with a similar structure and standard of squad.

3 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

The truth, I'd say, is somewhere in the middle. He's not received the service due to MM's tactics, which in turn have been due to the squad the manager inherited, but I'm sure Lawrence knows himself he's not played consistently to form, and has missed a few very good chances, starting off in the very first league game at home to St Johnstone.

I thought last Wednesday he was excellent in the first half, albeit he fired a penalty wide, but he's rarely reached these standards in consistent spells. I'll agree a move may be in his best interests, if we go again next season with a similar structure and standard of squad.

If I were Shankland I’d definitely go unless Mellon does.

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I'm judging him on two years of playing for us. Great player for us - no doubt - I honestly don't see his ceiling being that much higher though.

5 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Are 8 other teams going into admin before us?

No. But there is a wormhole directly beneath the shed at tannadice. Mark Connolly was signed up to captain the journey down into another part of the multiverse, one which we are competing for European places and one which Dundee come up and embarrass themselves on a weekly basis. 

12 hours ago, Junior_Arab said:

Looking at that list of players released by Aberdeen there’s one or two on there I wouldn’t mind signing. Ash Taylor or Tommy Hoban for CB? 

Livingston also let a few go yesterday too that may be of interest, hopefully the club has a few targets they are already talking to in the background 

Edited by GFARAB82

3 minutes ago, CaspianChris said:

As of 30 minutes ago Friday Administration no 181 version  7.4 has been applied for I believe.

Heard from a Dark Blue supporting taxi driver.

This sounds like its the one that will sink us tbh.