The Dundee United Thread 22/23

46 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

If we can go into next season with Chalmers, Mochrie, Neilson, Meekison, Fotheringham, Appere, Glass, Smith and Freeman in and around the first team squad and pushing each other for starts then I think we'll do okay. Every one of those has made a positive impression in the last year; enough to suggest that they might go on to become really good players. They won't all do it but it's as big a crop of promising players as I can remember. 

So long as:

a) they have a compliment of experienced players around them,

b) we play a style of football that suits the talents of the players, and

c) we are not playing players out of position (for example strikers as midfielders).

Of the young players I’ve seen I think Kerr Smith has the most potential.  16 years old and doesn’t look out of place at centre back.  Good height, fast and very decent on the ball.

I think Chalmers has come a long way this season and it’s a real shame he missed so many games through injury.  Was brilliant in the first half last night and will hopefully be a regular starter next season.

the rest of them I’m not sure, have seen flashes from them all that suggest they could become good players so with the right attitude and managed correctly hopefully another 1 or 2 can become first team starters next season.

8 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

MacKenzie Lemon*, Lewis Fraser*. 

*Graduate of Dundee United youth academy. 

Mark Connolly has snapped a cruciate ligament.

Means we're definitely getting a new CB in the summer imo.

I also have a feeling that Reynolds might be away this summer. Rumours of Cove being interested, but that's all I've heard.

6 minutes ago, MeadowArab said:

I also have a feeling that Reynolds might be away this summer. Rumours of Cove being interested, but that's all I've heard.

Would be a natural home for him tbh

7 minutes ago, MeadowArab said:

Bad news for Connolly, but we needed a new CB anyway. 
Can’t say I’d be upset if Reynolds goes and it’s fairly illustrative that Cove is the level he’s linked with.

I hope we can keep a hold of Kerr Smith but the big clubs seem to be circling.

Mark Connolly seemed to take a few injuries later on in the match on Wednesday, and given his style I wonder if he was driven on with adrenalin, as an acl injury isn't always immediately noticeable, in fact it's sometimes after the body cools down that it becomes apparent.

Sorry for him, he's had a bad year.

Seen on another United forum that someone has mentioned a rumour that a cash + Doohan deal has been agreed with Celtic for Seigrist.
No idea how much truth is in that though.
He's off whatever happens, so if we get a player in return and that player is not Scott Bain, then fair enough. Ben Siegrist is better than any keeper currently at Celtic, so it makes sense if true.

11 hours ago, CaspianChris said:

Seen on another United forum that someone has mentioned a rumour that a cash + Doohan deal has been agreed with Celtic for Seigrist.

No idea how much truth is in that though.

2+2=5

The Reynolds chat regarding Cove - two years ago he blamed their pitch for his bad injury. Not sure if he would fancy heading to Cove to play regularly. I get the idea that it would suit him and his family but he has been gaining qualifications for the Oil and Gas industry and has spoken about that as a career beyond football.

Imagine he’ll stay with us until his contract ends and then head off to work.

Feel really sorry for Connolly, and it does leave us light at the back. I hope Graham, Neilson and/or Smith can be used within the squad next season, would be great to have one or two young defenders breaking through into regular first team football (all three are highly thought of).

Well, thank f**k thats all over.

I'd say a reasonable season, nothing amazing but to finish the season in 9th, only a point behind 7th, with whats still predominantly a Championship side is decent.

Its not been pretty but its not been a stressful season in terms of a relegation threat either. Could have ended up fluking top 6 at one point too.

Mellon - 6.5 / 10. A solid pass. As said, kept us up but also could be argued hes held us back a little with shoe horning in Clark and Mcnulty etc. But his major remit was consolidation and he achieved that with bells on top. And reached a semi final which is also a decent cup run first season back.

Lots of rumours of him being away and if he goes, id be on the disappointed side but more concerned over who Asghar replaces him with (my money would be on something mental like Adam Asghar with Dillon as assistant for the lols).

Mellon would go with my best wishes. IMO he's done miles better than what Neilson would have done with this team.

4 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Well, thank f**k thats all over.

I'd say a reasonable season, nothing amazing but to finish the season in 9th, only a point behind 7th, with whats still predominantly a Championship side is decent.

Its not been pretty but its not been a stressful season in terms of a relegation threat either. Could have ended up fluking top 6 at one point too.

Mellon - 6.5 / 10. A solid pass. As said, kept us up but also could be argued hes held us back a little with shoe horning in Clark and Mcnulty etc. But his major remit was consolidation and he achieved that with bells on top. And reached a semi final which is also a decent cup run first season back.

Lots of rumours of him being away and if he goes, id be on the disappointed side but more concerned over who Asghar replaces him with (my money would be on something mental like Adam Asghar with Dillon as assistant for the lols).

Mellon would go with my best wishes. IMO he's done miles better than what Neilson would have done with this team.

What's that prediction based on? Asghar's only made one managerial appointment - a guy you seem to rate relatively highly.

4 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

What's that prediction based on? Asghar's only made one managerial appointment - a guy you seem to rate relatively highly.

Its based on a few mental rumours I've heard with Mellon being let go along with my general mistrust of Asghar and a large dode of pessemistic sarcasm.