The Dundee United Thread 22/23

I think it's fairly obvious what the situation with Shanks is. The club won't let him go for pittance and he will only go if he's offered much better terms preferably down south. 

I'd rather keep him and get a good season out of him helping the team than let him go for less value now tbh. 

I'm basing that on a system getting played that allows him to play to his strengths. 

He'll certainly not be going any where till after the euros. 

21 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

I think it's fairly obvious what the situation with Shanks is. The club won't let him go for pittance and he will only go if he's offered much better terms preferably down south. 

I'd rather keep him and get a good season out of him helping the team than let him go for less value now tbh. 

I'm basing that on a system getting played that allows him to play to his strengths. 

I reckon he will be very frustrated by Mellon’s style of play and will be concerned by the thought of another season where he is not give the opportunity to fulfil his potential.  His career has gone backwards this season, he won’t want a repeat of that.

46 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Yeah, me too. I wonder if there might be scope to extend his contract this summer with an increased chunk of any transfer fee going to him. He won't get the sort of move that he deserves based on this season's goal tally and although his work outside the box has been excellent it's rare that you get big fees for strikers who aren't scoring many goals (with the possible exception of big target man types). I think we'd need a new manager to have any chance of persuading him to sign on again though and even then it's probably unlikely.

On 09/05/2021 at 16:43, Twinkle said:

Dont think its a coincedence that both our best chances to score yesterday came from crosses. Keeper makes a good stop from Shankland and Robson skewed the other one wide. How MM cant see that regular deliveries into opposition boxes will cause problems, is extremely worrying

Fuckin shock horror, a goal from a cross within 15 mins 🙄

Fuchs showed tonight he is far better playing central than to the right of a 3 as he has recently. Getting Fuchs in Butchers spot and bring in a midfielder capable of playing forward passes would be a big step in the right direction for next season. 

If we can go into next season with Chalmers, Mochrie, Neilson, Meekison, Fotheringham, Appere, Glass, Smith and Freeman in and around the first team squad and pushing each other for starts then I think we'll do okay. Every one of those has made a positive impression in the last year; enough to suggest that they might go on to become really good players. They won't all do it but it's as big a crop of promising players as I can remember.