The Dundee United Thread 22/23

5 minutes ago, East Coast Warrior said:

Two year deal for Pawlett.

(Official FB)

Ridiculous they have begged for handouts this season then give two years to a player who has (being generous) “majorly underperformed”. 

There’s really no justification to keep any of this season’s attacking midfielders!!

Can't get my head around this. He's not done anything to warrant it (that I've seen).

To a man the United support appear baffled by Pawlett's two year contract, as am I to an extent. Yet we don't know the details of the deal, or whether there are projections for his future role at the club. I'm hoping the claims about his influence on the younger players have some substance, and that he's a coaching marvel. 

And that he scores the winner in the cup final.

37 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

To a man the United support appear baffled by Pawlett's two year contract, as am I to an extent. Yet we don't know the details of the deal, or whether there are projections for his future role at the club. I'm hoping the claims about his influence on the younger players have some substance, and that he's a coaching marvel. 

Sad Michael Rainey Jr GIF by Power

1 hour ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

A lot of people are grossly overreacting to what is a pretty unremarkable decision. He's too injury prone and not good enough to justify the limited appearances that he has been able to contribute in my opinion but it's not bizarre to think that someone else might have come to a different conclusion. In terms of the current first team squad he's probably first reserve in a few positions, maybe 13/25 in terms of the first team squad or thereabouts. If he's considered by the management to be a good stick then I can see why they might decide to go with continuity ahead of bringing in someone else from outside the club. I'd personally have preferred one of the young guys to step up a place in the squad but it's not like we've given a new deal to Adam King or someone of that ilk. That would be bizarre and worthy of the degree of bafflement being expressed here, this, by contrast, is just a bit underwhelming.

49 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

A lot of people are grossly overreacting to what is a pretty unremarkable decision. He's too injury prone and not good enough to justify the limited appearances that he has been able to contribute in my opinion but it's not bizarre to think that someone else might have come to a different conclusion. In terms of the current first team squad he's probably first reserve in a few positions, maybe 13/25 in terms of the first team squad or thereabouts. If he's considered by the management to be a good stick then I can see why they might decide to go with continuity ahead of bringing in someone else from outside the club. I'd personally have preferred one of the young guys to step up a place in the squad but it's not like we've given a new deal to Adam King or someone of that ilk. That would be bizarre and worthy of the degree of bafflement being expressed here, this, by contrast, is just a bit underwhelming.

First reserve in an absolutely grim squad.

If we expect him to be doing a job in 2023 I despair 

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

First reserve in an absolutely grim squad.

If we expect him to be doing a job in 2023 I despair 

Take a chill pill man. This absolutely grim squad just stayed up with eased and papped Aberdeen 3-0 to get through to a Scottish Cup semi.

Sure, we need to strengthen, but let’s be realistic. If we manage to add a couple of players who improve the squad over and above what what we’ve got and might lose, we’ll be doing well. Pawlett clearly still has a role to play - as long as he’s not on a good wage I’m content with him staying.

Plenty of other players that need to be shown the door ahead of Pawlett and prob a few others looking for the door.

8 hours ago, ArabFC said:

Take a chill pill man. This absolutely grim squad just stayed up with eased and papped Aberdeen 3-0 to get through to a Scottish Cup semi.

Sure, we need to strengthen, but let’s be realistic. If we manage to add a couple of players who improve the squad over and above what what we’ve got and might lose, we’ll be doing well. Pawlett clearly still has a role to play - as long as he’s not on a good wage I’m content with him staying.

Plenty of other players that need to be shown the door ahead of Pawlett and prob a few others looking for the door.

Pawlett is shite.  That’s an incontrovertible fact.

3 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Pawlett is shite.  That’s an incontrovertible fact.

Is he even shiter than Harkes? Shiter than Powers? Shiter than King?

Whereabouts on your shiteometer does he shite?

59 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Is he even shiter than Harkes? Shiter than Powers? Shiter than King?

Whereabouts on your shiteometer does he shite?

Worse than Harkes.  Better than Powers and King, neither of whom would get a new contract.  That said I’m better than Powers and King.

33 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Worse than Harkes.  Better than Powers and King, neither of whom would get a new contract.  That said I’m better than Powers and King.

Well if he's shiter than Harkes he must be really really shite!

He's not shite and he's not worth a two year contract.

He's been inconsistent as f**k, as he has for most of his career. Probably enough to merit a one year extension at his best, if we can get the number of his best games into double figures.