The Dundee United Thread 22/23

My takeaway from that performance other than (FFS Mellon wants to play the trio again on Sat doesn't he?) and (what the hell was that on Meekison's head?) was the growth of my confusion at everyone else's love-in with Sporle.

Does he even know what he's doing most of the time?

6 hours ago, Junior_Arab said:

Tonight certainly confirmed my belief that if Siegrist leaves this summer we can’t go with Deniz as no.1. 

I agree. But it's going to be nigh on impossible to find a keeper of Siegrist's quality for the amount of money we'll be offering.

On 17/04/2021 at 12:07, Dundee Hibernian said:

I'm puzzled by the fans who think we'll improve, with that squad, by replacing Mellon with another manager.

I totally agree, and have made the point on this thread (and last season's, and the season before that's...) that there is just no evidence that we (as a club - it goes beyond Ogren) have any ability in picking a manager.  I would argue that history suggests we are much, much more likely to replace the manager with a worse manager - and be charged handsomely for the privilege!

On 18/04/2021 at 11:34, mishtergrolsch said:

Thing is, there's no c**t else the manager can bring in to dramatically change things around. The squad has been so badly assembled over the past couple of years.

In my eyes there is no doubt about that - our squad is well below the quality needed to challenge anywhere near the top of the Premiership. 

Last night another example of an absolutely woeful performance (probably second worst of the season behind the 5-1 St Mirren skelping at Tannadice) but overall we have seriously overachieved this season.  A lot of Arabs have short memories, and have forgotten that this squad was barely able to get out of the Championship.   

On 18/04/2021 at 15:10, skinny arab said:

Personally I think Mellon has done well to get us where we are in the league and deserves the chance to build his own squad and bring in players taylor made to suit the formation he wants to play but if he does get that opportunity he needs to improve the quality of football on display as with fans back in grounds next season people won’t be long in voicing their opinion.

Sad, but true - fans will not be happy even if Mellon repeats the results of this season.

On 18/04/2021 at 18:25, stumigoo said:

I would think that there will be pressure on Mellon (or whoever is in charge next season) to use Neilson, Mochrie, Chalmers and some others (Fotheringham, possibly Glass, possibly Graham and Smith) so that we can increase the value of our young players for then selling them on. I’d be happy for a policy like this, as long as we also recruit well, and if a manager doesn’t buy into the club’s philosophy then it normally doesn’t end well for them.

I'm just not sure that the youth players we have are ready for such a policy - I think that individually, and in small doses, a lot of them have a lot of potential - but a starting line-up with multiple youth players?  I'm not convinced at all.  Louis Appere, especially, looks great in 15-20 minute bursts but when leading the line for 90 minutes?  No chance is he ready.  I fear the same may well apply to Kerr Smith, Florent Hoti (although admittedly I have only watched these two for 90 minutes last night), Lewis Neilson and Logan Chalmers...

8 hours ago, ArabFC said:

My takeaway from that performance other than (FFS Mellon wants to play the trio again on Sat doesn't he?) and (what the hell was that on Meekison's head?) was the growth of my confusion at everyone else's love-in with Sporle.

Does he even know what he's doing most of the time?

No, but isn't that half the charm?  He seems to be carefree and have no idea what he is doing but, ultimately, is more effective than guys who are far more composed and precise.

6 hours ago, Junior_Arab said:

Tonight certainly confirmed my belief that if Siegrist leaves this summer we can’t go with Deniz as no.1. 

I think that's a pretty harsh assessment - the first goal he could perhaps have done better with the cross (but objectively that was a superb cross into a very dangerous area), but the second goal and the penalty were individual errors from others.  Siegrist has been exceptional for the past two years, but before that he had some very shaky spells too.

11 hours ago, arab_joe said:

I'm just not sure that the youth players we have are ready for such a policy - I think that individually, and in small doses, a lot of them have a lot of potential - but a starting line-up with multiple youth players?  I'm not convinced at all.  Louis Appere, especially, looks great in 15-20 minute bursts but when leading the line for 90 minutes?  No chance is he ready.  I fear the same may well apply to Kerr Smith, Florent Hoti (although admittedly I have only watched these two for 90 minutes last night), Lewis Neilson and Logan Chalmers...

Some of the youngsters have alot of talent and promise.

Are they ready to mix it with the bottom 6 cloggers in this league? Nope.

Are they ready to play the good, crafty and experienced top 6 teams of this league? f**k no.

Do they need to be phased in to the first team, a first team full of solid and dependable professionals who can show them the basics and give them a platform to build on? Of course.

We need the solid pros like Daly, Dillon, Dods and Rankin - the regular 6 or 7 out of 10 type guys. Not Connoly, Robson, Clark and Harkes who go from average to fucking chronic in a matter of minutes.

27 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Some of the youngsters have alot of talent and promise.

Are they ready to mix it with the bottom 6 cloggers in this league? Nope.

Are they ready to play the good, crafty and experienced top 6 teams of this league? f**k no.

Do they need to be phased in to the first team, a first team full of solid and dependable professionals who can show them the basics and give them a platform to build on? Of course.

We need the solid pros like Daly, Dillon, Dods and Rankin - the regular 6 or 7 out of 10 type guys. Not Connoly, Robson, Clark and Harkes who go from average to fucking chronic in a matter of minutes.

Ridiculously unfair on Clark and Robson.  Particularly Clark who has done a fantastic job for us this season, scoring when played as a striker and not complaining and putting in a shift when so often played out of position.  You should really retract that.

On a separate note, strange and self serving front page in tonight’s Tele from Eddie Thomson’s daughter.

13 hours ago, Steven W said:

I agree. But it's going to be nigh on impossible to find a keeper of Siegrist's quality for the amount of money we'll be offering.

There are some decent keepers in and around the league who shouldn’t be too far out of our reach - I like Jak Alnwick at St Mirren, but he’s under contract for another season so that might rule him out. Liam Kelly has done well on loan at Motherwell, he may be available one way or another next season. Depending on what happens over the summer it might be worth a phone call to Celtic to enquire about Bain. 

I hope we’ve learnt our lessons from the season we went down when we started with Zwick and Szromnik, who had played about 3 professional games between them. I think that was a huge factor in our eventual relegation. 

Edited by Junior_Arab

45 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

On a separate note, strange and self serving front page in tonight’s Tele from Eddie Thomson’s daughter.

Aye, and claiming she "resigned before we got relegated. It was a very difficult period and I didn’t agree with decisions that were being made" is maybe technically accurate, but she was part of the decision making process that brought us to that point.

She resigned, according to records, the same day we lost the cup semi final to Hibs, when we were near certs to depart the top league given the board and managerial failures of the previous 15 months.

15 minutes ago, Junior_Arab said:

Depending on what happens over the summer it might be worth a phone call to Celtic to enquire about Bain. 

Thats arguably THE worst shout ive seen on this board for a very long time. Fuckin horrendous. You should probably resign from here off the back of that

15 minutes ago, Junior_Arab said:

There are some decent keepers in and around the league who shouldn’t be too far out of our reach - I like Jak Alnwick at St Mirren, but he’s under contract for another season so that might rule him out. Liam Kelly has done well on loan at Motherwell, he may be available one way or another next season. Depending on what happens over the summer it might be worth a phone call to Celtic to enquire about Bain. 

I hope we’ve learnt our lessons from the season we went down when we started with Zwick and Szromnik, who had played about 3 professional games between them. I think that was a huge factor in our eventual relegation. 

Personally I don't rate Bain at all.

Mellon might well have some good contacts and knowledge of the English lower leagues (a market that's served Scottish PL teams pretty well in recent times).

No matter what, Siegrist's shoes will be big ones needing filled.

44 minutes ago, Twinkle said:

Thats arguably THE worst shout ive seen on this board for a very long time. Fuckin horrendous. You should probably resign from here off the back of that

42 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Personally I don't rate Bain at all.

Mellon might well have some good contacts and knowledge of the English lower leagues (a market that's served Scottish PL teams pretty well in recent times).

I reckon Bain’s had a shit season, but there’s barely a Celtic player that wouldn’t apply to. I rated him very highly when he was at the Dees and I reckon if you got him playing & confident again he’s still a good keeper. iLy3Df.gif

5 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

We barely seen him play in the first place. Seemed like an OK player but verging on immobile.

I would suggest the two are incompatible.

Obvious from his very first appearance that he had the turning circle of the Ever Given - almost as baffling a signing as giving Connolly an extended contract.