The Dundee United Thread 22/23

Motherwell have been making some redundancies and cost cutting despite taking in an extra £600k for finishing 3rd in league, £750k for run in Europe. Those are before bonuses and expenses. But also circa £4m+ on transfers in 2020.
My point is we could see this clusterfuck coming. I expect that those Well fans that have bought season tickets (as per Random Guy) will be offer3d the option to have a discounted season ticket or not. We have sold 4000 season tickets. I would expect that 50% would waive any rebate / refund. I will buy again next season and not expect a rebate / discount. I accept I can afford to whilst others cannot. Be interesting to see what United were planning with season ticket holders for next season ? 
Back to the Arabs. If those wages being quoted are in any way accurate then seriously WTF. How does someone sanction that when a matter of weeks later they need to make drastic cuts to the wage bill. That is business suicide and fairly incompetent to boot. Almost as if that person making those decisions did not know the financial status of the club. Just bizarre.....
This was discussed on the Saturday match thread. They've offered a 1/19th discount or rebate on next year if ST holders miss 3 or more matches so he obviously counted on the ST Holders getting in, if not walk up cash punters, to mitigate that exposure.

I'm sure a significant portion of those ST holders will offer goodwill. I mean unless we have an economic collapse that erodes that goodwill next year...

4 minutes ago, Wile E Coyote said:

Dundee fans giving financial advice. Well I suppose if you want an opinion on financial collapse you might as well ask an expert

I've never understood this retort. If you're a fan of a club that's financially fucked itself in the past, it means you can never talk about other club's fucking themselves?

Bit fucked up that.

34 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Wait until next season, much like Motherwell they've promised every season ticket holder a free season ticket for next season if they don't get to any games this season.

How do you budget for a season of only PATG customers at the level they're spending at?

Have they really?

17 minutes ago, Tannadeechee said:

It wasn't 133% of turnover last season. Again this has been explained countless times.

The last set of accounts showed that. That was for season 2018/2019. 11 first team players were signed in the January of that season along with additional youth coaches and Project Brave staff. Those accounts were up to June 2019

July 2019 11 first team squad players left the club, 3 first team players (I think it was just 3) signed. Even including Shankland there was a biggish drop in wages. Not huge I grant you, but big. Powers joined in January 2020. Wage bill for last season should be lower (unless someone somewhere has seriously fucked up).

IF COVID had not happened, there would be no issue as the losses shown in last year's accounts for the previous to that season, were on a par with what we had been told and would have shown an improvement over last and this season. That has been fucked now.

My concern is the intelligence of signing a player on 5k a week, nevermind the current, no match day income, for a club of United's size.

With regards to season tickets, I bought mine with no refund required or expected. I bought mine as away to support the club and help its continued existence. I suspect. I won't be alone in that. Next season will be no different.

We seem to be doing 2 and a bit months into the season, exactly what Aberdeen, Hibs and Hearts and Dundee amongst others did during the summer after what looks like expecting to ride it out until fans were allowed back in

The other thing that was wrong was that the losses weren’t £3m they were £3.8m.

Just if we are pointing out inaccuracies of course. 

8 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I've never understood this retort. If you're a fan of a club that's financially fucked itself in the past, it means you can never talk about other club's fucking themselves?

Bit fucked up that.

Better off listening too the experts surely 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

That was meant for Mark as well. Never saw the 2nd wave come FFS

5 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

That must be about 20 years that hapless Funsters have been predicting the end of days at Dundee United.

It's quite comforting in a way.

homer simpson sign GIF

The end? No, it's simply karma. United managing to be stupider than pretty much every other team in Scotland about this situation, it's quite funny considering what we were hearing levelled against us in June.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

I won't be celebrating cost cutting at Dundee United as its sadly those on the lowest of wages that will suffer the most. Just like when all the hospitality etc workers were let go over phonecall (or by text if they happened to miss the call) who then found out they can reapply for their jobs when crowds get back - they would just have to go through Mr Asghar's agency so he gets another slice of money on top of his already - no doubt - handsome wage. 

2 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Ryan Edwards on a supposed 3k per week

I never realised he'd ended up at United! If that's true, he's got some impressive Professional Wallet Inspector knack for landing himself lucrative deals - I mind Thistle had a highlight video for each players contribution for our POTM when we were still in the top flight and he was one of the nominees, most of which were fine bits of skill or a goal they'd scored - Ryan's video consisted of running around like a headless chicken for a few seconds.

Also triggered his relegation clause literally about 10 minutes after the playoff defeat to Livi, the wee shite.

5 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

I never realised he'd ended up at United! If that's true, he's got some impressive Professional Wallet Inspector knack for landing himself lucrative deals - I mind Thistle had a highlight video for each players contribution for our POTM when we were still in the top flight and he was one of the nominees, most of which were fine bits of skill or a goal they'd scored - Ryan's video consisted of running around like a headless chicken for a few seconds.

Also triggered his relegation clause literally about 10 minutes after the playoff defeat to Livi, the wee shite.

Not that one although he would likely be an improvement on the one we have