The Dundee United Thread 22/23

3 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

The loss of Smith is on a par with the loss of Freeman and .. whatsisname, now at Waterford .. Coote. If he turns into a player then we'll get some reward down the line but the loss of a 15 year old who may or may not make it is no reason to question the wisdom of investing in the Academy. The time to question the Academy is when we're not seeing useful players breaking into the first team squad. Losing the odd player is neither here nor there in the grand scheme of things. Robson, Chalmers, Appere, Neilson have all made an impact. Glass, Mochrie, Meekison look to be on course to contribute and there will be others below them.

We lost John Collins at 15 and picked up Stuart Armstrong at 17. There's a churn at that age. It means nothing.

I am in no way questioning the point of our academy - I think we owe it to the sport to invest in the youth of the future and I agree it will always provide some good players, but, to say it means nothing is daft.

I saw the kid in a friendly, got a wee bit excited at a promising player that might make an impact, but actually, I'll never see him play in the United first team.

I get 'the churn', but the way the English clubs are now stockpiling their own academies makes it difficult to foresee another Ryan Gauld (for example) ever staying in our ranks long enough to make any impact on the team, and thats kinda depressing imho.

Edited by ArabFC

6 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

The only two things I remember about Mvondo was his legs were the size of tree trunks and he about ruptured the bar at Dens from what seemed like 40 yards out with an overhead kick so hard it was unnatural.

That was the goal he nearly scored lmao. He was fast as f**k but clearly didn't know too much of the offside rule iirc.

Only thing I remember Tchami doing was hitting the bar (only just) with a penalty against some no marks like Airdrie or something in the cup. Sure we went out due to that.

1 hour ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

I would like to see this 40 yard overhead kick.

It was in the Sara 3-0 Derby at Dens. My recollection of it is it was a fucking beauty and the floodlights went out not long after it, probably due to the power the bastirt got on an overhead kick. 

15 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

It was in the Sara 3-0 Derby at Dens. My recollection of it is it was a fucking beauty and the floodlights went out not long after it, probably due to the power the bastirt got on an overhead kick. 

Yup. The famous Caballero debacle too. Should have been booked for diving. Ugly, cheating basterd 😉

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/932738.stm

But Atangana almost put the visitors ahead in the 21st minute and had it hit the net instead of the woodwork it would have been a strong contender for goal of the season.

Dundee: Douglas, Smith, de Marchi, Tweed, McSkimming, Rae, Romano, Nemsadze, Bonetti, Caballero, Sara.

Subs: Langfield, Wilkie, Yates, Artero, Falconer.

Dundee Utd: Combe, Leoni, De Vos, Licini, Aljofree, Davidson, Hannah, Buchan, Fernandez, Atangana, Thompson.

Subs: Gallacher, Easton, Tcami, McCracken, McDonald.

Referee: S Dougal (Scotland)

Check that team out! 

1 hour ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Dundee Utd: Combe, Leoni, De Vos, Licini, Aljofree, Davidson, Hannah, Buchan, Fernandez, Atangana, Thompson.

Subs: Gallacher, Easton, Tcami, McCracken, McDonald.

Check that team out! 

It's crazy looking back on old teamsheets. You ponder how the fcuk were these players in the same team?

Jason DeVos, one of the best defenders we've had in the last 30 years, who captained Canada to the Gold Cup, playing in a back4 alongside two guys I can barely remember and Hasney fcuking Aljofree.

49 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

It's crazy looking back on old teamsheets. You ponder how the fcuk were these players in the same team?

Jason DeVos, one of the best defenders we've had in the last 30 years, who captained Canada to the Gold Cup, playing in a back4 alongside two guys I can barely remember and Hasney fcuking Aljofree.

Hasney "that free kick against Forres Mechanics" Aljofree.  

De Vos is deffo one of the best from the last 30 years. Top 10 probably. Cant think of anyone else whod get close to Hegarty, Narey, Petrić, Dailly, Wilkie, Dods, Kenneth and Webster. Im probably missing someone though.

1 hour ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Hasney "that free kick against Forres Mechanics" Aljofree.  

De Vos is deffo one of the best from the last 30 years. Top 10 probably. Cant think of anyone else whod get close to Hegarty, Narey, Petrić, Dailly, Wilkie, Dods, Kenneth and Webster. Im probably missing someone though.

Fojut?

if Kenneths in, then anyone’s got a shout 

Jim Lauchlan and Daniele Chiarini were in central defence when I first started going to the football regularly. An ageing Gary Bollan was also kicking around around at that time.

That trio would make Mark Connolly look like Fabio Cannavaro.

Edited by Szamo's_Ammo

36 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Jim Lauchlan and Daniele Chiarini were in central defence when I first started going to the football regularly. An ageing Gary Bollan was also kicking around around at that time.

That trio would make Mark Connolly look like Fabio Cannavaro.

Lachlan wasn't that bad from what I remember but we did have an almost fun level side around then so who knows.

Edited by Mvondo_the_great

2 hours ago, PartyFears2 said:

Fojut?

if Kenneths in, then anyone’s got a shout 

Aye, Brian McLean, Paul Ritchie and Mark Connolly are in with a shout too if I'm smoking what you are.

The Kenneth that played next to Wilkie/Dods/Webster etc was brilliant. Thats the version I choose to remember. I also think people forget how good he was, and towards the end he lost it a bit ill grant you but that statement is still a bit mental when you look back and see names like Chiarini, Lauchlan, McCracken and Chris Innes. Its a fucking miracle we werent relegated more between the late 90s and 2006. Those boys make dumplings like Morris and Durnan look like Nesta and Cannavarro.

Fojut was good. Probably one of our better ones too.

I thought Paul Ritchie was decent when he played. The problem was that he appeared once every 6 months.
Scott Paterson was another who was allegedly very good but permanently injured. Awful hair.
I had completely forgotten about Ritchie. Very good player ruined by injury. As you say, Paterson was meant to be another great footballer who spent most of his time injured.

Seems to have been a few Scottish defenders over the last 20-30 years with great potential but never realising it or being forced out the game early due to injuries. I would include Keith Watson in that group who has managed a decent career but would surely have played at a higher level but for two knee injuries before he was 21.

Just now, Aladdin said:

I had completely forgotten about Ritchie. Very good player ruined by injury. As you say, Paterson was meant to be another great footballer who spent most of his time injured.

Seems to have been a few Scottish defenders over the last 20-30 years with great potential but never realising it or being forced out the game early due to injuries. I would include Keith Watson in that group who has managed a decent career but would surely have played at a higher level but for two knee injuries before he was 21.

Was just about to say the same thing re Ritchie. He was fucked by the time we got him and was on the decline big time and was rotten. The MYPA game for example...

Scott Patterson looked like a cracking player but was crocked in his first game for us. And that was him goosed too which was a shame.