The Jack Ross Relocation Thread 22/23

Bit harsh on Neilson. Still only 19 and has had a few injuries. Looks a player to me though maybe suffers from being asked to fill in at different positions without establishing one as his own.

35 minutes ago, Gibby82 said:

Bit harsh on Neilson. Still only 19 and has had a few injuries. Looks a player to me though maybe suffers from being asked to fill in at different positions without establishing one as his own.

Maybe. Im not writing him off, just havent seen anything in his performances up til now that suggest he has more levels in him. Time will tell i suppose

38 minutes ago, Gibby82 said:

wasn't it only last January he was linked with a move to Leicester? think the club will renew if only to ensure of a fee but he needs to kick on to get in our team deffo

41 minutes ago, GFARAB82 said:

wasn't it only last January he was linked with a move to Leicester? think the club will renew if only to ensure of a fee but he needs to kick on to get in our team deffo

"Linked with a move" is fairly meaningless. Garry Kenneth was once linked with move to Chelsea.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

"Linked with a move" is fairly meaningless. Garry Kenneth was once linked with move to Chelsea.

Leicester had a fee agreed and it was pretty much done at our end but the lad rejected the move. Suggestion is after refusing hes being forced out and also maybe being played in other positions to attempt to showcase him to scouts.

"

Leicester City had a bid for Lewis Neilson accepted during the January transfer window, but the Dundee United man rejected the chance to move, according to a report from The Sun on Sunday (7/2; page 60).

The 17-year-old is attracting attention after a fine start to life in the first-team at Tannadice. He has made nine appearances in the Scottish Premiership this season, including seven starts."

Edited by GFARAB82

32 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Any word on who we’re looking to bring in?  Informed views would be best failing which I’ll accept wild speculation.

Alan Forrest. Highly probable 

Tiffoney. Approached but has other offers 

Anderson. Almost definite

Mullen. Maybe maybe maybe 

Hungbo. Not likely but available 

14 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

Alan Forrest. Highly probable 

Tiffoney. Approached but has other offers 

Anderson. Almost definite

Mullen. Maybe maybe maybe 

Hungbo. Not likely but available 

Who is Anderson is that the Livy striker 

I would be keen to get Neilson signed up.  He's only 19 and clearly has footballing ability.  I dont think he has been managed particularly well and has probably suffered from being shunted around a couple of positions.

I see parallels between him and John Souttar - both came into the side young in one of the most difficult positions for youngsters to play, both decent on the ball which leads them to being asked to cover other positions, both suffer bad injuries at a young age.  Would hope that we learn from mistakes from Souttar, especially as Neilson has Edwards and Mulgrew to learn from whereas, in his last season, Souttar was playing with Calum Morris and Coll Donaldson.

1 hour ago, Aladdin said:

I would be keen to get Neilson signed up.  He's only 19 and clearly has footballing ability.  I dont think he has been managed particularly well and has probably suffered from being shunted around a couple of positions.

I see parallels between him and John Souttar - both came into the side young in one of the most difficult positions for youngsters to play, both decent on the ball which leads them to being asked to cover other positions, both suffer bad injuries at a young age.  Would hope that we learn from mistakes from Souttar, especially as Neilson has Edwards and Mulgrew to learn from whereas, in his last season, Souttar was playing with Calum Morris and Coll Donaldson.

No, nah, not even remotely fcuking close.

Souttar was on a completely different level to Neilson in terms of ability on the ball and the only real issue he had as a kid was his lack of physicality - which was only natural given he was starting games soon after turning 16.

Neilson on the other hand has just turned 19 and already seems... slow. Not necessarily in a pace aspect, but in how he turns, how he reacts.

I'm sure most will think I'm being overly critical, but I just don't see him becoming a regular starter at this level.

48 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Souttar was on a completely different level to Neilson in terms of ability on the ball and the only real issue he had as a kid was his lack of physicality - which was only natural given he was starting games soon after turning 16.

Neilson on the other hand has just turned 19 and already seems... slow. Not necessarily in a pace aspect, but in how he turns, how he reacts.

I'm sure most will think I'm being overly critical, but I just don't see him becoming a regular starter at this level.

He wasn't comparing their ability, he pointed out similarities in their situations. All of which I think are fair enough. 

Also, yes. I think you are being overly critical. I think there's a player there and he's done well when called upon so far. All about opinions though.

2 hours ago, ArabFC said:

You might be right about him being a bit slow but I would put that down to a lack of sharpness due to lack of game time. He's definitely got ability and he is still not properly recovered from a serious injury. 

Definitely worth keeping rather than bringing in someone else for defensive cover. 

I actually think he'll end up playing DM more than CB as he's decent on the ball and highly thought of at the academy, it was more a board decision as an offer came in. 

Lad might fancy getting picked up by a team down south so won't sign though. 

2 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

Definitely worth keeping rather than bringing in someone else for defensive cover. 

I actually think he'll end up playing DM more than CB as he's decent on the ball and highly thought of at the academy, it was more a board decision as an offer came in. 

I've got no issue with keeping him on. Makes sense to keep hold of a kid who has shown he can cover and hell, I might be proven wrong - kids develop at different rates and times.

I'll never quite understand why being "decent on the ball" is a reason to move somebody into midfield though. Being decent on the ball should be a prerequisite for anyone in the modern game,.

1 hour ago, ArabFC said:

I've got no issue with keeping him on. Makes sense to keep hold of a kid who has shown he can cover and hell, I might be proven wrong - kids develop at different rates and times.

I'll never quite understand why being "decent on the ball" is a reason to move somebody into midfield though. Being decent on the ball should be a prerequisite for anyone in the modern game,.

The bottom bit I'm absolutely in agreement with. I should probably clarify, afaik he's played a fair amount of time in midfield at unders level which is why he's viewed as so versatile by the club. 

Think we're just debating finer points here.

Kid has massive potential to be a decent scottish premier league defender with an element of being possibly able to go higher. 

Technically decent, decent at defending, good awareness and passing range. I don't think he's quite as far as Graham (who's got 2 years on him) but I definitely don't think he's far behind and Ross has had great reviews since he's came in. 

8 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

Dundee midfielder. 

Don’t know much about him but his stats for the Premiership are not great.  I would only want him if the Dundee fans think he’s shite.

11 hours ago, Aladdin said:

Yeah learn from mistakes like pissing their parents off.

• Homer Thompson changed the title to The Jack Ross Relocation Thread 22/23