The Dundee United Thread 22/23

3 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

In all the Euro excitement I have just realised we don't have an embarrassing League Cup Group stage exit huffing and puffing to beat Bonnnyrigg to deal with. Delightful news.

Means we can get a glamour friendly v Luton or somebody lined  up too. 

I have a sneaking suspicion that Fulham may be said friendly

7 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I have a sneaking suspicion that Fulham may be said friendly

Fulham and Northampton deffo on the cards. 

Season review time. 

Decent start, shite middle, half decent end with some great performances and results throughout. 

Solid 7/10 for Tam and the Bams. 

52 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

So.

Will Courts be here next season?

Is there any chance we can sign Levitt?

Will the club be stupid enough to offer McNulty a contract?

What’s the story with a goalkeeper?

Don't like the opening 'so'.

Courts? He'll be at Tannadice, I don't think it's anything other than paper talk about him heading south. He's done very well, better than I could have imagined although I was never against him getting the job. There's been times when I could have seen him far enough and almost jumped over to the 'anti' side, but some of the bile directed towards him has been untoward.

Levitt: perhaps if his ManU contract is extended there's a chance he'll be back, as he's had regular football and clearly enjoyed himself, but if a free agent he's surely going to chase the money in the English leagues.

McNulty will get a short term deal until he's fit again.

Goalkeeper: beginning to think Benji may stay. His mistakes over the past few months may have discouraged potential suitors.  

5 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Courts? He'll be at Tannadice, I don't think it's anything other than paper talk about him heading south. He's done very well, better than I could have imagined although I was never against him getting the job. There's been times when I could have seen him far enough and almost jumped over to the 'anti' side, but some of the bile directed towards him has been untoward.

Levitt: perhaps if his ManU contract is extended there's a chance he'll be back, as he's had regular football and clearly enjoyed himself, but if a free agent he's surely going to chase the money in the English leagues.

Goalkeeper: beginning to think Benji may stay. His mistakes over the past few months may have discouraged potential suitors.  

I'd go along with that, except I don't see McNulty getting any sort of deal. He's not our player so it wouldn't be a case of just extending his contract for a couple of months. In any event, the bad will towards him would make for incredibly bad PR. The other guys we've done it for have been well liked but just not particularly rated - there's a visceral antipathy towards McNulty. 

Don't see there being a clamour for Courts from elsewhere. He's made a very promising start to his career but it's too early for any decent sized clubs to be taking him seriously just yet, imo.

12 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

So is not OK in verbal context but is in written.  I will chose to not respond to you’re other points, particularly the McNulty one.

1 minute ago, Pull My Strings said:

I'd go along with that, except I don't see McNulty getting any sort of deal. He's not our player so it wouldn't be a case of just extending his contract for a couple of months. In any event, the bad will towards him would make for incredibly bad PR. The other guys we've done it for have been well liked but just not particularly rated - there's a visceral antipathy towards McNulty. 

Don't see there being a clamour for Courts from elsewhere. He's made a very promising start to his career but it's too early for any decent sized clubs to be taking him seriously just yet, imo.

Ah, you're probably right about McNulty.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

So is not OK in verbal context but is in written.  I will chose to not respond to you’re other points, particularly the McNulty one.

So what?

3 hours ago, steve55 said:

Only 2 teams as yet confirmed in our round:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022–23_UEFA_Europa_Conference_League

Braga and Twente

I feel like in our last few European adventures we were pretty unlucky in the draw.

Would be good to get a diddy or two this time and get pumped out by them instead go on a wee tour.

8 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

I feel like in our last few European adventures we were pretty unlucky in the draw.

Would be good to get a diddy or two this time and get pumped out by them instead go on a wee tour.

Since the tie against the team that shall not be named, we've drawn AEK Athens, Slask Wroclaw and Dynamo Moscow.

I don't actually expect to win through two rounds - lets face it, our European record post-1987 even when we've had 'decent' teams is horrific.

So, just hoping for a sunshine tie in August ala Athens rather than Finland.

I am fairly sure we'll be unseeded, so I guess we have to hope we get one of the poorer seeded teams. The Spanish, German, Italian and English teams don't come in until the following round iirc

ETA I am hoping we get into the next round and get Cologne. It's a brilliant city. Not sure if I could make the away game(s) but I'd drop everything for that one.

4 minutes ago, Twinkle said:

How does the draw work, is it seedings based or open?

It's UEFA. Seeding is in their DNA.

Best illustration is probably to look at the same competition last year. We're likely to be unseeded just like Aberdeen and Hibs were last season.

Screenshot 2022-05-15 at 11.01.46.png