The Dundee United Thread 22/23

Wee Jim was always exasperated by Ralphie.  He knew he was capable of so much more.  Maybe a bit of bitterness far wee Jim, he was not exactly good at handing out plaudits to individual players. 

Maybe it was also a way of justifying him being sold...easier to say he got rid of a player fans were not happy with than admit he made a mistake in letting him go.

Loved Ralphie during his time with United.

41 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

We're 4th

We ended up with 44 points last year and finished 9th.

We've currently got 44 points with both the Old Firm and Ross County away left to play.

It's great being in contention for a European spot, but lets not pretend this season has been any great leap forward.

Still murderball we're watching.

Edited by ArabFC

24 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

We've currently got 44 points with both the Old Firm and Ross County away left to play.

It's great being in contention for a European spot, but lets not pretend this season has been any great leap forward.

Its bizarre. Just a couple of seasons ago we were a shambles and made a c**t of the play offs as usual but now we are fourth with a great chance of playing european football next season yet we are still unhappy. Futba eh

A mate asked me yesterday what I thought of the rumours about Courts going down south.

If you think about the targets he will have had at the beginning of the season, top end of bottom 6 minimum and blood the young guys would probably have been the main ones. He's ticked those boxes, and could potentially have us in Europe.

On the other hand, we weren't that far off being in the bottom 6 and fighting for our lives, and the football has been eye bleeding, though I'd argue slightly better overall than last season.

I'm in a similar place to where I have been the last two seasons - if the manager leaves, I won't be that bothered, and his performance overall is probably enough for other teams to be interested. It's all very odd.

Last year we finished 9th. This year, at the absolute worst, we will finish 6th. That is a leap forward.

16 hours ago, Luddite said:

Question for United fans from the 80s…reading Jim McLean’s “Jousting With Giants” he writes that Ralph Milne was unpopular with the fans and they weren’t sad to see him leave.

I’ve always admired McLean as the most honest man in football but wondering how truthful this is and how much is skewed by his personal issues with the guy?

From my recall, Milne was unpopular with some fans in the same way football supporters often seem to need a scapegoat. Players like Stuart Armstrong ('pop star' to quote some) or Craig Conway ('needs to get into the gym') have been fall guys at some point, it's the nature of some supporters to slag.

Milne, living in Dundee, was spotted in bookies and pubs, which made people think he wasn't fully committed: and to be fair in some games he was dreadful, but on form he was untouchable.

Just now, Dundee Hibernian said:

From my recall, Milne was unpopular with some fans in the same way football supporters often seem to need a scapegoat. Players like Stuart Armstrong ('pop star' to quote some) or Craig Conway ('needs to get into the gym') have been fall guys at some point, it's the nature of some supporters to slag.

Milne, living in Dundee, was spotted in bookies and pubs, which made people think he wasn't fully committed: and to be fair in some games he was dreadful, but on form he was untouchable.

Great reply mate. Cheers for that info 👍

1 hour ago, Sarto Mutiny said:
2 hours ago, ArabFC said:

Last year we finished 9th. This year, at the absolute worst, we will finish 6th. That is a leap forward.

I’ve just turned off the Rangers game. 2-0 down against their B team and at no point have we attempted at any point to play any kind of fitba.

Other teams playing worse doesn’t mean we’ve got any better.

If you’re enjoying watching this murderball, fair fucks to ya - still the same ol’ shite to me.

1 hour ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Milne, living in Dundee, was spotted in bookies and pubs, which made people think he wasn't fully committed

Or maybe they just didn't like him, what with him being a woman beating, alcoholic thief. 

18 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

We're finishing 6th

I think both Ross County and Motherwell would have to do very well in their last two matches for that to happen.

9 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Or maybe they just didn't like him, what with him being a woman beating, alcoholic thief. 

You should maybe explain your thoughts to @Luddite.

If I was being polite about Courts’ style of play I would say uninspiring.  The thought of another season of the same is not something to look forward to.

Only positive is he started with Cudjoe rather than Clark.

I still think we can secure fourth and Europe but it will come down to the final game of the season and which group of players want it most.

I'd imagine no footballer would take kindly to their commitment and effort levels being questioned. But feel very entitled to do so after that today. Some of those players weren't bothering their arse. Chief culprit being Tony Watt who was rightly hooked.

Even allowing for all the changes the opposition made, they were always going to have better players than us. But to not put in the required hard work and effort is inexcusable.

2 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

1 hour ago, Dundee Hibernian said:.

You should maybe explain your thoughts to @Luddite.

2 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

Was this common knowledge during his time at United?

Yeah today felt very meh. First 45mins done alright and it seemed destined to be a point at Ibrox which would have been decent enough. 

2nd half fell apart and players started fannying about. 

Probably going to have to beat Ross County away to finish 5th. 

4th would have been a decent season all round but think that's slipped now, and it's not even down to the result today its more to do with there's no way the squad will bother their arse to try on the last day. 

7 minutes ago, Meeniedee said:

looks like charlie adam is going to lose his biggest diver of the season award.....step up(or fall down)mr tony watt.

Is it drink or drugs you’re on?