The Dundee United Thread 22/23

12 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

There's a proper player in Louis just needs to flourish somewhere and he'll kick on. 

Whether that ever happens is debatable but I hope it does. 

Sound laddy and genuine to the core. 

I was disappointed when we let him go. If he was given a good run in the team and given similar time a useless McNulty was given im sure we would have seen the big man improve. 

He may not have turned into a £2M striker but if he became a 6 - 10 goals a season striker that would would be much improved on what we have at the moment. And far far cheaper.

Hey ho. Good luck to the guy and I do hope he has a good career.

Appere was another player that suffered from Ryan Dow syndrome in that it just wasn't immediately apparent where he was meant to play.

Would still have preferred to see him have a run up front in place of McNulty, especially after we brought Watt in.

2 hours ago, Aladdin said:

Appere was another player that suffered from Ryan Dow syndrome in that it just wasn't immediately apparent where he was meant to play.

Would still have preferred to see him have a run up front in place of McNulty, especially after we brought Watt in.

Poor management imo. Either not realising how to use said player in a chosen system or finding a system to suit the player. Aperre did well enough at Championship level to suggest he would have made at least a similar if not better impact to McNulty long term.

I'd be delighted to see Appere develop into a good player but I think it's a bit soon to be rewriting the reviews. For a guy with his ability and physique he was consistently disappointing and scored very few goals. Comparisons with McNulty are fine, if that's your bag, but last time he played in the English fourth division he scored a barrel load of goals. Could be that that division is just mince. 

That's not an endorsement of McNulty, btw.  We need better than both.

39 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Could be that that division is just mince. 

Jon Daly came from that division and did alright 

Aberdeen got a player recently from Carlisle who did very little scoring and made Scottish football look easy, Aberdeen made 2 million or so and I believe he is back down in league 1.

Football is a funny old game 

Appere did quite well when played as a striker, then would immediately get shifted out onto the wing the next game under Courts, which was annoying. Hard to say how many goals he would have scored if given a run in the team up front, but he clearly brought something to the team with his physicality and pace. McNulty adds nothing.

19 minutes ago, RB-Scotland said:

Appere did quite well when played as a striker, then would immediately get shifted out onto the wing the next game under Courts, which was annoying. Hard to say how many goals he would have scored if given a run in the team up front, but he clearly brought something to the team with his physicality and pace. McNulty adds nothing.

I was a big supporter of Appéré, but for me his failure to use his physicality was actually one of his biggest shortcomings at United. For a guy of his size who by all accounts worked really hard at building himself up, he was constantly getting out-muscled and out-fought in physical battles.

Also, I said it when Appéré was sold and still stand by it: Mellon is far more responsible for stunting Appéré's progress than Courts this season. It didn't matter how well Louis played last season, Mellon was always itching to get both Clark and McNulty back in to the team at his expense as soon as possible.

19 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

I'd be delighted to see Appere develop into a good player but I think it's a bit soon to be rewriting the reviews. For a guy with his ability and physique he was consistently disappointing and scored very few goals. Comparisons with McNulty are fine, if that's your bag, but last time he played in the English fourth division he scored a barrel load of goals. Could be that that division is just mince. 

Is anyone doing this? I've said as have others, I think, that he had potential through the middle which we never really got the chance to see.

23 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Hearts will be sending out the kids or not really trying. Anything other than a win and I'll be disappointed.

Completely agree. Of the top six Hearts have the least at stake in the remaining league games. They're comfortable in 3rd and going no higher with a cup final to focus on now. If we can't get a win here it'll be a pretty ominous start to the post-split games.

Edited by captainkev

43 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Hearts will be sending out the kids or not really trying. Anything other than a win and I'll be disappointed.

20 minutes ago, captainkev said:

Completely agree. Of the top six Hearts have the least at stake in the remaining league games. They're comfortable in 3rd and going no higher with a cup final to focus on now. If we can't get a win here it'll be a pretty ominous start to the post-split games.

I reckon that’s pretty naive.  That said I hope you’re both correct.

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I reckon that’s pretty naive.  That said I hope you’re both correct.

Aye I can't see Hearts just lighting the cigars quite yet. They'll be wanting their first team sharp but not tired. Maybe a few changes but nothing major. 

Should be beating them regardless.