The Dundee United Thread 22/23

9 minutes ago, captainkev said:

Matty Smith's an odd one. I remember he got chucked in for a fair bit of the remaining post relegation/Mixu games and looked a really bright prospect. But after relegation there was never any real sign of potential again. Stories of Laszlo's inspired coaching obviously didn't help either in fairness.

I didn't think The Edge was that bad though. Certainly better than Quinn or Donaldson. Had more than a few good games for us with the odd howling performance every now and then. Neilson never trusted him again after that 5-0 Ayr United game though.

Although I never saw him play myself, Yannick Loemba must be in with a shout for this team for putting the ball out of the stadium when shooting into the Eddie Thompson end?

I completely forgot about him. Yeah he could fill a spot somewhere i think. 

4 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Rankovan

Donaldson Edgengule Quinn  

B. King  Barton  Khul   Riski

Pongolle N'Koyi Lying 

IF YOU OR A FAMILY MEMBER ARE AFFECTED BY TRAUMA CAUSED BY READING THIS LINE UP PLEASE CALL THE EMERGENCY SUPPORT HOTLINE ON 01382 833166 AND SELECT OPTION 8.

28 minutes ago, captainkev said:

Although I never saw him play myself, Yannick Loemba must be in with a shout for this team for putting the ball out of the stadium when shooting into the Eddie Thompson end?

Loemba actually had an game where he looked like a world class winger at Palmerston: strangely, thekeeper that day, Matej Rakovan, also looked decent. This was Safranko's debut where he also got a great goal. Must have been Czaba's team talk or something in the Dumfries air.

Another player of that era, Fraser Aird, was mentioned as a dud earlier, and he was a player I disliked for many reasons..... yet he went through a phase where his crosses provided a lot of goals, almost an assist a game, before a behind the scenes falling out, rumoured to be connected to gambling and money owed to other squad members.

1 hour ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Loemba actually had an game where he looked like a world class winger at Palmerston: strangely, thekeeper that day, Matej Rakovan, also looked decent. This was Safranko's debut where he also got a great goal. Must have been Czaba's team talk or something in the Dumfries air.

Another player of that era, Fraser Aird, was mentioned as a dud earlier, and he was a player I disliked for many reasons..... yet he went through a phase where his crosses provided a lot of goals, almost an assist a game, before a behind the scenes falling out, rumoured to be connected to gambling and money owed to other squad members.

Yeah, Aird may well have been a complete bell-end but he could cross a ball better than pretty much anyone else I've ever seen at Tannadice.

Edit: On reflection, that sounds a bit gushing. Just saying he was a very good crosser of a ball. It was a real weapon, sadly so was he.

Edited by Pull My Strings

Aird was decent, very good crosser of a ball like people have said, but his attitude was poor, think Neilson gave up on him after that 5 0 defeat to Ayr where he offered f**k all cover to Watson down the right.

Loemba looked pretty skillful the few times I saw him, but also heard people saying he was atrocious in games I missed. His agent saying on instagram that he hoped Loemba would get a move to one of the Old Firm, while he wasn't getting into the United squad, was funny.

10 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

Yeah, Aird may well have been a complete bell-end but he could cross a ball better than pretty much anyone else I've ever seen at Tannadice.

Edit: On reflection, that sounds a bit gushing. Just saying he was a very good crosser of a ball. It was a real weapon, sadly so was he.

10 hours ago, RB-Scotland said:

Aird was decent, very good crosser of a ball like people have said, but his attitude was poor, think Neilson gave up on him after that 5 0 defeat to Ayr where he offered f**k all cover to Watson down the right.

Loemba looked pretty skillful the few times I saw him, but also heard people saying he was atrocious in games I missed. His agent saying on instagram that he hoped Loemba would get a move to one of the Old Firm, while he wasn't getting into the United squad, was funny.

If we could have combined Aird’s crossing accuracy with McMullen’s work rate we would have created one hell of a wide player.

19 hours ago, Gibby82 said:

Mind we started the season with Adam Barton and Christoph Rabitsch in midfield. Less than four years ago, incredible. Those years all kind of blend into one bad trip but think it was Csaba’s team.

Genuinely have no recollection of Patrick N’Koyi.

I’m really glad getting auld has some benefits like no being able to remember half the names being mentioned, 😂.

Rabitsch, holy hell he was fucking terrible, guy ran like he had pulled his hammy- never seen anything like it 

No one has mentioned Adam taggart, he would not have been cheap, probably wasn’t the worst but he was a very very expensive mistake, actually went on to have a decent career 

1 hour ago, dundeeunited83 said:

Rabitsch, holy hell he was fucking terrible, guy ran like he had pulled his hammy- never seen anything like it 

No one has mentioned Adam taggart, he would not have been cheap, probably wasn’t the worst but he was a very very expensive mistake, actually went on to have a decent career 

I wonder how many awful players might not been quite so awful with better coaching.

One example, Col Donaldson was never going to be a great player but he was certainly better after he left us.

I refuse to accept any 'Worst Ever' selections that don't mention names like Lance Key and Julian Alsford, but that is me maybe me just showing my age.

I have more sympathy with players who at least tried their best, for me Rabitsch falls into that category. He was incredibly limited but he did at least look like he was giving it his best. The same cannot be said for players like Adam Barton.

this chat about the worst players has reminded me of that Banter Years list I just abandoned a couple years ago.

As someone who is more used to banter years United than United being anywhere near competent, the worst player I can think of purely based on performances is Coll Donaldson, talent doesn't mean anything if you can't show it and he never showed it at United.

but the least talented player at United? either Aaron Kuhl or Emil Lyng. Both of them just... looked wrong.

1 hour ago, stumigoo said:

I refuse to accept any 'Worst Ever' selections that don't mention names like Lance Key and Julian Alsford, but that is me maybe me just showing my age.

I have more sympathy with players who at least tried their best, for me Rabitsch falls into that category. He was incredibly limited but he did at least look like he was giving it his best. The same cannot be said for players like Adam Barton.

I'd never heard of Adam Barton until he signed for United. It didn't take very long to find an interview with him saying that he hated playing football. You'd think our recruitment team would have considered that.

Interview

Edited by Big Shedboy
add link

21 minutes ago, Big Shedboy said:

I'd never heard of Adam Barton until he signed for United. It didn't take very long to find an interview with him saying that he hated playing football. You'd think our recruitment team would have considered that.

Interview

I think it may have been a selling point given some of our signings in recent years - "Do YOU hate playing football? Do YOU want a healthy wage without the commitment of actually playing well? Then join Dundee United!"

1 hour ago, stumigoo said:

Was Alsford the guy who allegedly burst into tears when a member of the coaching staff shouted at him?

Club have announced two ticket packages for the remaining games - 

Package 1 - Two games (Hearts, Motherwell) - £20/£10 and United have the Shed.

Package 2 - All three games  - same price but no Shed against Celtic.

I don't expect a decent United support against Celtic given the timing of it and it possibly just being a title party for them (which maybe explains the rumour regarding season ticket hospitality packages usually reserved for United fans in the George Fox Upper being shifted to Celtic fans...)

It would be great to have heathy crowds for the first two games and the pricing is reasonable enough to encourage that.